Talk

Advanced search

Help me find a dress please, I am feeling indecisive.

(17 Posts)
KurriKurri Fri 31-Oct-14 15:06:49

I need a dress to wear to a December wedding. I am mother of the groom.
Wedding will be informal and fairly laid back affair - register office ceremony, evening reception with dancing.

So I want to be warm, comfortable and able to dance like a maniac, I also want to look complately fab obviously (within my limitations!)

I like greens,blues, purples, and bright colours (but bride is wearing red so red is out), I suit empire line - I am small (5ft 2ins, size 12) but am pear shaped, - I have a good waist, but hips and legs need disguising. Nothing short.
Knee length dress, or would be happy in a lovely tunic-dress/top and trousers/posh legging type thing - silky or something maybe (I have no idea if such things exist)

I want striking and pretty, but not frilly or too 'girly', I'm quite quirky outlandish in style, don't mind looking a bit different, I'm 55, have v. short spiky hair. Would like something I can wear again if possible.

Budget - under £200 if poss. - and would like to get shoes etc for that too if I can. But I have a bit of flexibility on the budget.

TIA

Chocolateteabag Fri 31-Oct-14 16:08:56

is this Anthro one too short?

Chocolateteabag Fri 31-Oct-14 16:14:56

Or this orange one

You could wear with a turquoise (or black) wrap and take off for dancing.

KurriKurri Fri 31-Oct-14 16:16:15

I love the colours on that one Chocolate I think it would be too short for me to wear as a dress, but would it work as a tunic with some classy legwear? I can guarantee cold weather - wedding is just before Christmas and right next to sea on the east coast!

KurriKurri Fri 31-Oct-14 16:29:38

The orange one is lovely, I love that colour - and I could wear funky jewellery with it. A turquoise jacket or wrap would look great with it.

tethersend Fri 31-Oct-14 16:49:05

This would be lovely.

tethersend Fri 31-Oct-14 16:49:32

I'd wear the above with a fake fur shrug.

KurriKurri Fri 31-Oct-14 16:53:17

I love that print tethers, really beautiful - I think my body shape might struggle with a shift though - if I get it to fit my top half it will be tight on the hips, and if it fits the hips it will be baggy on the top, I need something abit more fitted over the bust and/or waist and more flared or A-line down below.

tethersend Fri 31-Oct-14 17:23:14

Could you do silver?

KurriKurri Fri 31-Oct-14 17:31:32

Yes silver is good, a bit of sparkle and glitz would be fine for a Christmas wedding I think - I like that dress - nice style for me - I could add a bit of colour with accessories (sometimes grey/silver can make me look a bit washed out as I have pale colouring, but am usually OK if I add a dash of colour)

Bargain Westwood

KurriKurri Fri 31-Oct-14 18:00:50

I like that too Remus, - but it might be a bit too figure hugging for me to get away with (although maybe not ?) I think the shoulders might be a bit wide - I've got very narrow shoulders, and wide necks tend to slip off me. (I'm making myself sound very attractive aren't I grin)

Might be worth a go. VW stuff tends to be flattering on those of us who have curves! smile

jimmybim Fri 31-Oct-14 18:53:48

too red?

KurriKurri Fri 31-Oct-14 19:47:26

I like the colour Jimmybim (looks more fushcia to me - but hard to tell) but it is maybe a bit too 'prom dress' - too formal I think. smile

Chocolateteabag Fri 31-Oct-14 19:56:01

You could wear black or coloured opaque tights with the first dress instead of leggings for the wedding, then leggings or skinnies for more casual stuff.

I think the second Anthro dress would be more "wow" with the right accessories. You could wear a chunky turquoise necklace, then later wear either black or gold jewellery with it.

Gem124 Sat 01-Nov-14 13:55:47

The orange one is gorgeous!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now