Talk

Advanced search

Which foundation is the heaviest coverage?

(17 Posts)
Fabulassie Wed 29-Oct-14 16:43:33

Just curious - I'm thinking of going for a full-coverage look, now that I really am middle-aged and there's no use in trying to cling to a natural look. I am pretty pleased with No 7 Protect and Perfect as my main foundation but I always like to try new ones.

I have Max Factor Miracle Touch, which is a cream foundation in a pot. I think it's pretty good. Today in Boots I tried Dermablend but only on my chin (where there are spots) and it looks like it means business.

If you had some red spots, somewhat mature skin, and wanted to look utterly covered, what would you go for?

Ellexx Wed 29-Oct-14 17:03:17

I use MAC studio fix foundation which has medium to high coverage! it gives off a matte look which I like!

I finish it off with the MAC mineralize skinfinish powder (natural) and some blusher and it works a treat for the 'flawless' look!

x

BiancaDelRio Wed 29-Oct-14 17:04:28

Estee Lauder Double wear is the heaviest coverage that I own.

If applied right it looks great and not cakey at all.

Illamasqua Skin Base is very full coverage too but a bit harder to work with.

Fabulassie Wed 29-Oct-14 17:18:43

I have been meaning to try DW and I'll check out that MAC Studio Fix. I was put off MAC by a couple of experiences at the one in House of Fraser - I think the light in there must be bad. I will try at another store and see if they give me a good match.

BiancaDelRio Wed 29-Oct-14 17:22:44

Another MAC tip.

Their Studio Sculpt foundation is medium to high buildable coverage. It's gel based and really creamy and smooth. I really like it but for some unknown reason haven't used it lately.

<<runs off to dig it out>>

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 29-Oct-14 17:56:55

Revlon colour stay applied with real techniques brush-either dome or stipple.

Sounds like you need a good concealer rather than a heavy foundation. Best one I've found is bare minerals bisque applied with their
concealer brush.

Bunbaker Wed 29-Oct-14 18:00:57

I think heavier foundations are more ageing. I have discovered l'Oreal BB cream and it suits my skin beautifully. I am nearly 56 BTW.

Botanicbaby Wed 29-Oct-14 20:51:59

agree with PP that Estee Lauder Double Wear is the heaviest foundation I've know.
also agree with post above that heavier ones look more ageing. You can get still get good coverage without it looking or feeling too heavy.

if not bobbi brown, I like Max Factor foundations. You could try the ageless elixir or facefinity for good coverage.

pinkpeoniesx Wed 29-Oct-14 22:02:49

Estée Lauder Maximum Cover, and Illamasqua Rich Liquid are true full coverage. They cover EVERYTHING. If you want full coverage with a slightly more natural finish then Laura Mercier Silk Creme is great, it's the only full coverage foundation I've tried that still looks 'glowy' while covering really well.

Fabulassie Fri 07-Nov-14 18:04:21

I tried the Mac Studio Fix in the store today and while it was definitely heavy, I didn't really like it.

I think I am currently infatuated with that Max Factor Miracle Touch. It seems to have the most coverage and yet it doesn't look at all cakey. It looks velvety. I think I'll check out the Dermablend for wearing over spots on bad days, though.

Kundry Fri 07-Nov-14 21:30:32

Have you seen the Lisa Eldridge acne video? She works a miracle!

She uses Dermablend foundation and concealer on the worst bits and normal foundation everywhere else.

LosBreakingBad Fri 07-Nov-14 21:44:02

I'm 53 and I agree that very heavy foundation is ageing. I use ysl touché éclat foundation,with dermablend on any areas that need more coverage. The ysl is lovely with a medium coverage.

Glitterkitten24 Fri 07-Nov-14 21:55:16

Double wear is lovely- good coverage but doesn't actually look heavy.
Plus, when I bought mine recently (I used to wear double wear light) they gave me a sample bottle to try to check I was happy with it prior to using the big bottle, so could check it suited me. Very impressed with ELs service!

CaptainJaneSafeway Sat 08-Nov-14 09:19:29

Do you want to look totally covered... or do you want good coverage that looks natural? Or do you actually want a very full on "lots of make up" look? Either way though, I think MAC is a good place to start and they are often very helpful assistants and will let you try everything out. They were my go-to when I had really bad acne.

Fabulassie Sat 08-Nov-14 10:41:29

I was looking at the Dermablend in Boots today but didn't know which to get (cream or liquid). I'm going to watch that video and do some more research.

captainjanesafeway I would prefer more natural coverage, but for some thins I want total coverage. If I could combine total coverage of chin acne with a natural look around my nose and eyes, for example, that would be nice. For evening I am happy to be much less natural, as I would do very dark smokey eyes, etc. In daylight, such a look is less attractive.

Lndnmummy Sat 08-Nov-14 13:52:20

How about a lighter base and then more coverage where you need it? I typially use a light water based foundation with a stippling brush all over (Mac face and body or chanel vitalumiere aqua) and then add more coverage where I need it using same stippling brush. For this, I use either Bobbi Brown foundation stick, Mac pro longwear concealer or the dermablend. This works well for me and my roseaca.

This approach saves you from more heavy duty foundation setting in any lines.

Fabulassie Sat 08-Nov-14 17:28:46

That's what the video suggested! And that is what I'm going to try to do. I don't like stippling, based on what I tried, but I will try what she did in the video. I have bought Dermablend foundation and concealer, and I have a sample of the Clinique foundation she used. As well as the Becca skin perfector highligher stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now