Talk

Advanced search

How to stop nails sodding chipping, and Mrs O'Leary's BBQ

(49 Posts)
RiffyWammal Thu 16-Oct-14 16:47:37

Usually OPI is pretty resistant to chipping but I put Black Cab on yesterday and it's chipped on nearly all my fingers angry I used undercoat and two coats. I'm wondering if I might have inadvertently bought a fake actually. What is your failsafe brand/method/topcoat to prevent chipping please?

Also. My all-time favourite colour is Mrs O'Leary's BBQ and it has been discontinued. What the hell? Why do all my favourite things get discontinued! I found a bottle on ebay but there was already a bid on and I don't want to pay over the odds for a bottle that I don't know the age/genuineness of. Does anyone know an equal colour and brand please, I like how OPI polish dries glossy and (usually) lasts a long time.

msfreud Thu 16-Oct-14 16:53:46

Essie Bahama Mama is very similar, I think, looking at photos.

I don't know if it's possible but I sometimes think my polish chips or not depending on weather conditions? Like maybe if it's particularly damp like it's now...

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 16-Oct-14 16:54:04

You need no 7 top coat, it's a fiver. Almost instantly dry the minute you apply it and lasts ages.

HeyMacWey Thu 16-Oct-14 16:57:47

A top coat will stop it chipping. I think I use a sally hansen one?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 16-Oct-14 16:58:26

Revlon's vixen is a dupe according to google.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 16-Oct-14 16:59:58

I never use base coat, just 2 coats of polish, no drying in between and top coat.

KittyB52 Thu 16-Oct-14 17:58:35

I have tried many different base and top coat combinations, expensive polishes, cheapo ones and they ALL chip on my nails within 24 hours. I read somewhere that your body chemistry can affect how well nail polish stays on, but I've no idea if that's true.

As for a dupe of the OPI colour, you could try Barry M's 'Red Wine'.

MyMeMy Thu 16-Oct-14 18:01:50

The new No 7 gel top coat is even better than the original, I can get at least 4 chip free days after using it over a dark colour - dries really quickly too.

Carpaccio Thu 16-Oct-14 20:04:35

OPI Can you tapas this? and ORLY Thorned Rose are very close.

Basecoat and topcoat really don't help my polish last longer, but a nail hardener with formaldehyde such as the one from Mavala really helps me. The ones without formaldehyde (I've tried a few) have no effect on me whatsoever.

hollyisalovelyname Thu 16-Oct-14 20:27:06

I do love Mrs. O' Leary's barbeque too.
hmm Is it discontinued?

Vajazzler Thu 16-Oct-14 20:35:16

When I paint my nails a layer of base coat is essential. Then after painting the nail i wrap my tips by swiping the brush along the edge of the nail so that the Polish goes under my nail slightly. Then a good topcoat to seal it all in.

42notTrendy Thu 16-Oct-14 20:39:59

I find leaving half an hour between coats helps it stay put longer. I never bother with base or top coats, never seem to make a difference. And fresh nail polish best.

I find a quick buff with the roughest side of a buffer, then wipe with nail varnish remover, basecoat, 2 colour coats, Seche Vite usually lasts me 4-5 days. Before I started doing the nail varnish remover I used to be lucky to get 24 hours without chips. My main problem is the edges wearing off, doesn't make the slightest bit of difference whether I go over them as Vajazzler says or not, I always have a fine white line showing on the tips within 24 hours. It doesn't show too much when the nails are very short, but if they've grown a bit it looks bad.

RiffyWammal Thu 16-Oct-14 20:42:40

I fear it is holly. I found this page about it - seems we're not the only ones to mourn its passing!

Thanks for all the tips, these are great. I love all of those colours! I didn't know that's what 'dupe' meant, I read it on nail polish blogs and thought it meant a fake blush

I'll be getting some of that No7 topcoat! It would be lovely to have a carefully applied manicure last for more than 12 hours intact!

Vajazzler Thu 16-Oct-14 21:31:07

Oh and don't forget to use rubber gloves. I'd your hands get wet a lot then your nails soak up the water making them swell slightly. This will contribute to your polish chipping.

Trills Thu 16-Oct-14 21:36:20

The best plan I've found for not chipping is to cut my nails short

You might not want to do that though

Yes, I keep mine very short, that definitely helps.

hollyisalovelyname Fri 17-Oct-14 07:41:48

Sally Hansen has a new formula- gel nail polish without the lamp. It might be worth trying out.

angeltulips Fri 17-Oct-14 07:48:34

Midnight Merlot Jessica might be a good substitute

No tips on the chips - I'm crap at doing my nails myself

rubyflipper Fri 17-Oct-14 07:56:57

Maybe it is something to do with body chemistry.
I have tried every combination and method of nail polish application; they all chip after a day or two.
The only way I can have a long-lasting manicure is to have Shellac nails.

Penfold007 Fri 17-Oct-14 08:05:18

I use a base and top coat then gently dry my nails with the cold setting on my hairdryer for as long as I can. Polish lasts,ages then.

MadisonMontgomery Fri 17-Oct-14 10:08:15

China Glaze base coat (can't remember what it's called) then Seche Vite topcoat. I can go 5 days without chipping.

RiffyWammal Fri 17-Oct-14 11:06:37

5 days! shock Wow! Even when I had a professional gel manicure it chipped the same day!

The Sally Hansen gel formula sounds good, I wonder if I could just use their topcoat on top of my own colour?

I do keep my nails short and use rubber gloves for washing up. Maybe I should wear cotton gloves around the house - the last time they chipped it was because I had been rummaging around in a drawer full of clothes! It's so infuriating after you've spent ages painting them isn't it.

Amyrose82 Sun 19-Oct-14 20:48:07

Another vote for Seche Vite top coat - goes straight onto wet polish and dries really quickly, no messing! I can get a good four chip-free days too grin

RiffyWammal Wed 05-Nov-14 10:04:25

An update - I got Essie Wicked and some Seche Vite. The Seche Vite was hard to find, none in Superdrug or Debenhams but I did find one lonely bottle at the back of the rack in Boots. Can you believe that 3 assistants on the posh make-up counters in Debenhams had never even heard of it? They recommended Dior top coat at £20 instead, yeah right.

I'm so glad I asked here, Seche Vite is AMAZING! It really does dry super quick and prevent chips, I got nearly 4 days out of my manicure which is unheard of! Lovely and shiny too. So thanks to all of you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now