Talk

Advanced search

20 weeks pregnant and going shopping tomorrow- what should I buy???

(9 Posts)
PontypineNumber9 Thu 09-Oct-14 20:12:47

I already have enough proper maternity clothes from first time round to see me through. But I want some non maternity bump-friendly things that I can also wear after the baby is born.
I'm thinking Uniqlo for shirts (after they've been raved about on here) and maybe Cos for some swing tops.
Any other tips?
Anyone seen any stylish flat shoes around? Or recommend good high street places for jewellery?

MagicSeeker Thu 09-Oct-14 22:01:27

Bumping for you. I'm no help I'm afraid. Am only just recovering a semblance of style and my baby is nearly 10 months old now!

PontypineNumber9 Thu 09-Oct-14 22:06:12

Aww thanks Magic!
I have an 18 month old and to be honest my 'style' has never really recovered. I'm on the lookout for some nice accessories to brighten up a boring wardrobe of black/grey cardys/tunics and leggings!

leedy Thu 09-Oct-14 22:57:58

I have always found by the end of pregnancy I have just wanted to burn my maternity clothes/anything I wore in pregnancy on a giant pyre in the garden (note I did not actually do this) rather than "have them to wear after" as I was so sick of them, but that may be just me.

Camper have nice comfy flat shoes, including nifty Converse-a-likes that zip up the back, thus allowing waddly pregnant ladies to fasten them even with a giant bump

PontypineNumber9 Fri 10-Oct-14 08:58:15

Thanks leedy. I do need to wear maternity things for a good while after as, like most people, I didn't spring back into my pre pregnancy body the minute after I have birth. I expect I'll be wearing baggy tops for a good few months or so afterwards, which means I'll be wearing them for the next 6-8omtha at least.
I am really just trying to get ideas for a few accessories that I can jazz up my existing things with and not look like a big black blob! Jewellery, shoes etc that fit regardless of bump size.

PontypineNumber9 Fri 10-Oct-14 08:58:41

Eurhh. Typos- sorry.

leedy Fri 10-Oct-14 10:28:24

Oh gosh, I didn't mean to imply that I sprang back into shape immediately after birth, though given that I was the size of a house at the end of both pregnancies my maternity gear also looked kind of wrong/stretched out on me even just postpartum (though I was still in need of forgiving clothes). Mainly I lived in a couple of stretchy jersey breastfeeding dresses and leggings until I was able to wear waistbands again.

I got very into fancy scarves when I was pregnant both times, let me add a bit of colour to outfits and (possibly optimistically) think I was distracting from the giant bump. Becksondergaard are a really nice Danish brand. Topshop and Zara are usually good for zingy costume jewellery that doesn't cost too much.

kaykayblue Fri 10-Oct-14 10:39:45

I would avoid getting anything too pricey clothes wise - or anything too.....gaudy, in an effort to "distract" from dull colours etc. It's very easy for it to go wrong!

Why not focus on a few things that might be able to have a more subtle effect?

Like for example, making sure you are stocked up on cleanser and a good moisteriser, shampoo, conditioner...etc. All the basics that you won't have time to remember buying when baby comes along.

Aside from that, maybe get a few things like:

* A blusher in a colour that looks like a natural flush. Benetint do a good one if you don't have dry skin. Otherwise NARS or just about any brand should have a colour that works for you. It will help you look less grey after no sleep.

* A cream concealer that you can dot on under your eyes to help disguise circles - but get one that suits you. I personally find the clinique ones to be the best.

* A couple of hair accessories to help you look more pulled together. For example, some non damaging hair ties, a subtle headband (like a small ribbon one or whatever), to keep your hair out of your eyes, and a sock bun, so you can shove your hair up in the morning and still have it look very elegant. Avoid anything in bright colours and go for neutrals.

* If you like jewellery (as I do), then maybe get a few pair of earrings that you won't care if you lose. For example, some accessorize (monsoon) fake pearl earrings or whatever. Or even some studs with a bit of colour in them. Wearing earrings always makes me feel more pulled together. But maybe that's just me.

* You could try a belly bandit? Not only to help your uterus to shrink down, but a lot of people say they just like the support it brings.

* Shoes wise, we're coming into winter, so I guess a decent pair of flat boots (I've seen nice ones in John Lewis, but they aren't cheap), some cheap ballet flats (New look are the best as far as I'm concerned), and maybe one nice pair of flats in a neutral colour for if you are going out somewhere.

PontypineNumber9 Thu 16-Oct-14 07:34:17

So I ended up buying stuff for DD and a jumper for DH - fail!
Thanks for the list kaykay. Some great ideas there which I will definitely take up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now