Talk

Advanced search

What's the best multivitamin to take?

(24 Posts)
MrsJaffaCakeAddict Wed 08-Oct-14 10:59:05

I'm about to finding breastfeeding so will no longer be buying the Pregnacare breastfeeding supplements. I keep hearing that the supermarket multivitamins are useless so what should I be taking? What's the best 'good quality' multivitamin?

Thanks!

FreakinScaryCaaw Wed 08-Oct-14 11:00:32

Solgar are a good make.

Fairylea Wed 08-Oct-14 11:02:13

Super one from Holland and barrett. They are the size of a horse but really fantastic. I have immune system problems and my endocrinologist recommended them. They do make your pee bright orange though! blush

TheSpottedZebra Wed 08-Oct-14 11:04:17

Supermarket vitamins really aren't rubbish - they use the same active ingredients as do the branded bits.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 08-Oct-14 11:04:36

Branded vits

Fairylea Wed 08-Oct-14 11:07:49

Whatever ones you go for check the ingredients and the RDA amounts in the label. Go for one which has a good mix of vitamin C, B vitamins and iron as those are the vitamins most people generally lack in. Zinc is also good for hair and skin and general immune system boosting.

321zerobaby Wed 08-Oct-14 11:14:20

I would also recommend Solgar products. The do a Female multi bit. They contain good amounts of calcium, magnesium, vit e, B vits etc but its 3 tablets a day to get the high dose.

Its not all about the amounts or active ingredients, its also what they are mixed with, how easy they are for your gut to break them down and absorb them. Solgar are known for being very easily absorbed.

Fabulassie Wed 08-Oct-14 11:31:36

The cheapest. Or, if you're concerned about specific BF-related needs, look into what is recommended. Probably calcium. Maybe iron.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 08-Oct-14 12:09:43

Honestly, what Fabulassie says. I've worked 'in vitamins' - much of what people say is the just the marketing lines that we want you to believe! !

I'd consider a good all round multi vit and mineral, and I'd ensure that it has good levels of iron, Vit D and calcium.

I'd also consider a separate high strength cod liver oil or Omega 3 supplement, and if still bfing, go for one with a high level of DHA.

specialsubject Wed 08-Oct-14 12:11:37

food.

Pinkfrocks Wed 08-Oct-14 12:13:51

I don't 'believe' in multi vits. Ideally you ought to get all you need from food. Unless you are eating some kind of restricted diet, then you can get all you need by eating a healthy diet, including products that have lots of calcium and iron.

Only people who need some extra vitamins from pills due to a restricted diet should take them- eg the elderly who can't get Vit D from sunshine due to being housebound.

Pinkfrocks Wed 08-Oct-14 12:26:21

This might help

Calcium

Nursing mothers need 1000 mg calcium the same as adult women ( UK RDA is set at around 700mgs)

This is readily available in cheese, milk, yoghurt, green veg, almonds , apricots, sardines, and other oily fish.

The vitamin industry is a multi million pound industry ( one main manufacturer also makes cigarettes) and is built on people's lack of understanding of dietary needs- and fears.

One orange or a portion of certain veg gives you all the Vit C you need- 30mgs a day . Any excess is excreted- same for the B Vits - that's what makes your wee orange because it's the excess.

I take calcium/ magnesium because I am dairy intolerant and it's hard to get 1200 mgs from food alone (for someone my age) but unless you are cutting out a major food group you are literally pouring money down the drain with supplements.

321zerobaby Wed 08-Oct-14 14:14:02

There are plenty of people who are young and not housebound and are Vitamin D deficient. I know of several ladies who despite having a love tan and having 2 sunshine holidays a year were very Vitamin D deficient.

MarchesMum Wed 08-Oct-14 14:16:18

The consultant at the hospital recommended Centrum to me.

IhadsexwithanelfinIceland Wed 08-Oct-14 14:20:29

BioCare are great, they were recommended by my nutritionist.

Pinkfrocks Wed 08-Oct-14 14:31:10

<<sighs>>
Unless you are deficient you don't need vits from a pill.

Vit D- you have to eat the right foods as well as getting sun- most people rarely eat oily fish one of the chief sources.

plantbsd Wed 14-Feb-18 20:09:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

itsbetterthanabox Wed 14-Feb-18 23:14:10

I take multibionta. It's a good mix of all vitamins and minerals plus it has probiotics.
Don't know if it is the best. I like it as it covers all bases.

itsbetterthanabox Wed 14-Feb-18 23:14:34

Is there a vegetarian alternative to the fish oil ones?

Honeycake50 Thu 15-Feb-18 18:14:00

Alive women’s ULTRA potency, this one ticks boxes for me due to all the rda% and also blend of fruit and veg.

www.naturesway.com/Product-Catalog/Alive-Once-Daily-Women-s-Ultra-60-Tabs

On Amazon too

DavetheCat2001 Thu 15-Feb-18 18:29:19

I've been taking these as my mum bought me them for Christmas!

My nails have definitely improved and grown since taking them!

www.amazon.co.uk/Seven-Seas-Perfect-Woman-Pack/dp/B00OCDQUTQ/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?keywords=perfect+7+women+seven+seas&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1518719318&sr=8-6

Brittanyspears Thu 15-Feb-18 18:36:42

Solgar pre natal. You can continue with them if you bf too

Tatapie Thu 15-Feb-18 20:55:50

Thought everyone needs a Vit D supplement in winter in UK as it's not possible to get enough from limited sunlight ( and diet won't cover it all )

PrinceMichaelOfMoldavia Fri 16-Feb-18 08:54:32

Immunace Extra. Vitamin d spray is also very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now