Talk

Advanced search

Home gel nail kit- some questions? Would it be pointless for me to buy?

(16 Posts)
dottytablecloth Tue 07-Oct-14 07:48:35

I was going to buy this sensationail kit from Boots

However, I'm not overly good at painting my nails with regular polish! blush. Do you think it would be a complete waste of money? When I say I'm not great at painting them, I mean I'm never happy with the finish as it looks a bit streaky!

I really like the idea of having polish that doesn't chip.

If you have the home gel nail kit have you been pleased?

RainyLion Tue 07-Oct-14 08:04:08

I've got the exact same kit and am not sure if I could recommend or not tbh! I'm also not very good at doing my nails and sometimes am unhappy with the way I've done them, especially if it's a dark colour and really noticeable. I always get at least one nail that chips off but I think that's because I'm not very good, rather than the kit not being good iyswim.
That said, if I get it right it is really good to have long lasting nail colour! I find the plain french manicure the best as it's not as noticeable if it is badly painted/chipped.
The biggest problem I have found is it is a nightmare to get off. I do the whole acetone/tin foil thing and still find I'm not getting anywhere. I now find myself just picking it off and having a week of half chipped nails! If I was good at painting them and could get them off easily I would say it was perfect.

strawberrysplit Tue 07-Oct-14 09:55:09

I've got this kit. I find it easier to do than normal nail varnish as you can take your time to get it straight/even/remove from cuticles as it doesn't dry until you cure it under the lamp. However I agree that it's a pain to remove, I've bought another base rather than the standard (easy off) and I only use the binder at the very edges of my nails, otherwise the varnish tends to chip or lift but it still takes me forever to soak off.

I sometimes use the easy off sensationail and find it comes off ok - if I know that I'm likely to want to change them quite quickly then I use normal nail varnish as my colour, sandwiched between the proper base and top coat.

I have this lamp, and use this top coat, often with the base to go with it.

dottytablecloth Tue 07-Oct-14 17:30:05

Thanks for the recommendations!

Has anyone experienced any damage from using the home gel kits!

MangoBiscuit Tue 07-Oct-14 18:33:06

I have this exact set, right down to the colour, which I find less pink than it shows on the site, more raspberry red, which is lovely. I'm a bit rubbish at painting my nails, I rarely get normal polish looking nice, but I find the gel stuff much easier. I use 3 thin coats of colour, pushing it a little closer to the edge with each coat. Only a tiny difference between each coat, but it helps. That way I usually avoid the nasty smudgy bits round the edge that I always get with polish. I also love that if I mess up the finish, streaks, bumps etc, I can just keep working on it till it's right, then set it.

I have thin, weak, flakey nails to start with, and I'm not good at taking the gel off properly and tend to pick. blush That said, my nails are actually growing. They're all the same length, the same shape, and long enough I can see them from the palm side, which is unheard of outside of pregnancy. I'm pretty sure I do little bits of damage to my nails with the gel, but day to day wear does the same to mine if they're not protected by gel, and I also end up breaking them, so gel is better overall. If I had lovely, strong nails, I might think twice about gel.

notapizzaeater Tue 07-Oct-14 18:35:28

I have June of these and love it when I have time to use it properly. I've bought one for my sister & sil for Xmas but for £35 off eBay, looks on there first, lots of business sellers selling them for about this price.

321zerobaby Tue 07-Oct-14 18:36:23

I have been using home gel on my nails for well over a year, my nails are no better or worse now for using it. I have used Gelish, Sensationail and OPI. The Sensationail was the hardest to get off by far, and the most easily chipped. I only used it twice as it was so awful.

MangoBiscuit Tue 07-Oct-14 20:37:27

I've only used this kit, no experience of others. Which brand do you think is best 321zerobaby? And would I need to buy a different lamp if I swapped? smile

321zerobaby Tue 07-Oct-14 22:32:03

The Gelish comes in a kit but no light, i bought the kit from Amazon. The OPI I buy from a wholesalers. Most gels seem to work with either UV or LED, don't think you need a different light for different brands.

notapizzaeater Tue 07-Oct-14 22:37:07

No you don't - I use different brands all the time Don't buy the cheap ones as they are useless - I tend to get mine off amazon.

bookcaseface Wed 08-Oct-14 00:22:21

Is it ok to mix brands? So use a Gellish base coat and a shellac polish for example?

321zerobaby Wed 08-Oct-14 10:55:57

I've used an OPI base and top coat with a Gelish colour with no problems.

Spanglypinkpants Wed 08-Oct-14 12:26:05

I use cnd shellac and a lamp I bought off amazon. It is much easier to get a streak free finish with this kind of product - recently tried normal nail polish and I had forgotten how awkward it is!

I have also started buying the rip off shellac (bluesky shellac) which is £5 a bottle and I actually find it lasts longer than the genuine stuff.

PringleJess Wed 08-Oct-14 18:13:11

I've bought the stuff myself from eBay/amazon & I love it. I find it much better than normal polish for streaks as a pp says you have time to make it right before you put it under the lamp. I have become a bit addicted to it & keep ordering polishes though. Here's one of my attempts that I was pleased with

jackstini Sat 01-Nov-14 07:02:40

Dotty - if you are still interested it's on sale this week! reduced from 110 to 50 for the big kit
www.boots.com/en/SensatioNail-Deluxe-Starter-Kit_1527208/

I love mine - had it 2 years and is much easier than normal polish. I skip the primer if I want it to come off easier grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now