Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Moisturiser after Hibiscrub on face?

(25 Posts)
Laquila Tue 30-Sep-14 19:39:06

I'm about to start using Hibiscrub as a cleanser (will probably still use LRP Toleriane to remove makeup first) and have seen advice saying not to apply moisturiser afterwards...which goes against every fibre of my being, frankly. I normally use aloe vera gel, tamanu oil, Organic Surge daily moisturiser or a Botanics night cream.

Any advice gratefully received!

MrsOomBoomBoom Tue 30-Sep-14 19:49:57

Hibiscrub? What hospitals use on patients pre-surgery or to treat MRSA? If so, that's incredibly drying!

MsTwankeyToYou Tue 30-Sep-14 19:50:24

I use Hibiscrub diluted 50/50 with water (stored in a travel bottle), and massage it into my skin for 1 min before washing it off with warm water and drying my face with a cotton wool pad. I then use Avene Skin Recovery Cream as moisturiser. My skin looks the best it ever has.

Laquila Tue 30-Sep-14 20:48:45

Thanks both!

MrsOom - that's why I want to use moisturiser after it! (T'interweb tells me Hibiscrub can be extremely effective against acne.)

MsTwankey do you wait before applying your Avene?

Kormachameleon Tue 30-Sep-14 20:51:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SunshineAndShadows Tue 30-Sep-14 20:53:19

Hobo scrub will help acne but it's VERY drying and quite brutal.
You'll need a good moisturiser and will risk sending your skin into oil overproduction

MsTwankeyToYou Tue 30-Sep-14 20:54:13

I use the Hibiscrub approximately half an hour before moisturiser at night, and ten minutes before in the morning. No particular reason, but 'if it ain't broke...' smile The only things I'm particular about are making sure that it's diluted, keeping it on my face for the full minute, and ensuring that it doesn't get in any of my orifices when I'm washing it off. Seems to be working very well at present!

MsTwankeyToYou Tue 30-Sep-14 20:57:14

Oh, and my skin is no oilier or more irritable than before. It's usually very sensitive, acne-prone, and 'combination' in type.

None of this is advice, of course, as we're all different and I have no expertise - just sharing my experience :-).

SunshineAndShadows Tue 30-Sep-14 21:10:02

Just reminded by Twankey's post
Please ensure it doesn't get in your eyes, it's very bad for corneas

MsTwankeyToYou Tue 30-Sep-14 21:29:53

Blimey, that's unsettling - thanks, Sunshine! Glad I've been careful... I think with anything like this it's really best to chat to a GP before using (and Sunshine's post shows exactly why), rather than just reading stuff online - I should have booked an appointment with mine earlier, and I definitely will do so now!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 30-Sep-14 22:02:31

I used to use Hibiscrub to handwash at work , it made my skin peel.

I'm going to buy some to shower prior to my surgery, but not as a regular wash.

Laquila Tue 30-Sep-14 22:21:09

Korma - because after years and years of depressingly bad skin (and quite a lot of research), it sounds as though it might help improve things.

Thanks Sunshine, MsTwankey and 70

Does anyone else have first-hand experience of a moisturiser that seemed to work well for them when using Hibiscrub to treat acne?

DarylDixonsDarlin Tue 30-Sep-14 22:42:49

Hobo scrub will help acne but it's VERY drying and quite brutal.

Is that why tramps often have a weatherbeaten look about them? Hobo scrub grin

Kormachameleon Wed 01-Oct-14 01:53:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cakecrumbsinmybra Wed 15-Oct-14 23:05:55

OP, some posters have recommended Cetaphil moisturizer

Cakecrumbsinmybra Wed 15-Oct-14 23:06:24

Is it working btw, as I have bought some?!

SWIMTHECHANNEL Thu 16-Oct-14 07:09:16

I got the last bottle in my local Boots yesterday - clearly the Mumsnet Effect

avagosling Thu 16-Oct-14 10:55:13

I find rosehip oil to be the best after that sort of treatments, or for VERY dry skin in general!

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Thu 16-Oct-14 12:28:20

I have been using hibiscrub for about 4 weeks and, fingers crossed, it is working for me. But although my acne is hormonal, it doesn't happen every 4 weeks, more like 4 weeks in between the spots coming and subsiding, so I will see...

I only use it on the bottom half of my face (not near eyes) and the neck/top of chest (when I am in the shower and remember), which is where I get spots.

Re moisturiser, I think it depends what your skin is like aside from being acne prone. Hibiscrub hasn't given me any dryness at all and I'm using it twice a day. My forehead is quite oily so in the morning I am using either a facial oil (this one) or LRP Effaclar Mat and then at night I use Effaclar Duo. I think that something that was creamy rather than oil/serum texture would be too much for my skin.

Laquila Fri 17-Oct-14 17:24:55

BlairWaldorf - I think we have very similar skin! Weirdly I also started using Effaclar Duo around the same time as the Hibiscrub, and have just started with Effaclar AI and the Mat moisturiser too.

Something is definitely working as my skin has certainly improved, but what exactly this is down too, I'm not sure, I'm more inclined to think it's the Duo, TBH, rather than the Hibiscrub, but the latter hasn't caused any dryness yet (I'm used it diluted 50/50 with cooled boiled water, after the Effaclar foaming cleanser).

Avagosling - I'm a big fan of Rosehip oil, as well as Neal's Yard Rose Facial oil (pricier). I'm trying tamandua oil at the moment but so far I wouldn't say it's any mor effective than Rosehip oil, and it doesn't smell as nice!

Cake crumbs, I used to use the Cetaphil cleanser, and quite liked it - perhaps I'll give the moisturiser a go.

Koala - I don't mind in the slightest you asking why I was using Hibiscrub! I was just a little wary of this turning into one of those threads where people say "You do know that X is a known carcinogen/will make your hair fall out/is tested on orphan babies, don't you??" or similar...;)

avagosling Mon 20-Oct-14 16:32:39

Tamandua oil? Never heard of this before! Where do you get it from?

Tootifruit Fri 05-Jan-18 17:53:47

Im about to use hibiscrub for first time do i need to use it as a shampoo ? An can i use conditioner with it as i need to use condtioner..also ive cuts on my arm can it be used on them ..any advice greatfully recieved x

AnnaMagnani Fri 05-Jan-18 19:56:54

I can't think why you would want to use it as shampoo.

It is incredibly drying and would probably turn your hair into straw.

It stings like fuck on cuts when you wash your hands with it.

I honestly can't think why people would choose to use it, it's horrible stuff to wash your hands with let alone put anywhere near your face.

Sleepy198 Sun 11-Feb-18 10:22:24

I had an operation 2 days ago and was given this to use for 3 consecutive days before the op. I suffer from bad hormonal acne on my chin, I always have spots there. All of this has now gone! Might just be coincidence but my skin hasn’t looked so clear in a very long time. I didn’t consider that I shouldn’t use a moisturiser so I have just been using my elemis serum that happened to be in the cupboard! I might not continue to use this forever but for now, especially around the chin area, I think I will!

Laquila Sun 11-Feb-18 22:33:30

Blimey, I just idly clicked on this thread and realised I was the OP, over three years ago!

I don’t use Hibiscrub any more (and honestly can’t remember how long I used it for) but Effaclar Duo+ is still one of my holy grail products, and I also still love the Effaclar foaming cleanser. I’ve just started using their Hydraphase moisturiser too, which I really like.

To those wondering why anyone would choose to use such a horrible product - it’s pretty simple: we get desperate!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: