Talk

Advanced search

Another short hair thread - the pros and cons

(8 Posts)
33goingon64 Thu 04-Sep-14 09:09:16

The pros are obvious - time saved for a start, and for me, my hair is thick and frizzy and suits a choppy crop better than my past shoulder length hair which need straightening to look respectable and often ends up flat and unflattering.

The cons: I am not a very feminine-looking woman, by which I mean I'm not pretty (have big features rather than pixie cute), I don't dress in a very feminine way, I hardly ever wear make-up, I wear glasses most of the time etc. I had short hair as a student and looking back now to those pictures I often looked butch and a bit like my DM

I worry that by cutting my hair I'd be losing the only bit of me that looks feminine.

My new theory is that going for a 'safe' short cut is actually the wrong thing to do and something more bold would be better.

Anyone have this issue, or have any advice?

Cereal0ffender Thu 04-Sep-14 09:14:27

I have very short hair, i make sure I get a good cut that sits wells. A bad short haircut is frumpy. I chopped mine because it is very grey and thick. Short hair is easier to colour and it's thickness makes it sit well. If it is frizzy you will need to use wax or something but that takes seconds. I do wear some make up, normally a bb cream and some blusher.

GeorgesDragon Thu 04-Sep-14 09:18:47

I am serial crop then grow out person. I'm lucky because my hair grows quite quickly so went from short crop in December to almost a bob now.

There are pros and cons to everything... I think I look more feminine with short hair when I have short hair and then when my hair is longer I think that I look more feminine.

The worse thing that happens after the chop is that you hate it - so then you grow it back. It will not be the end of the world and if it is, buy a wig! Life is too short to be wondering - if you feel you might like to do it then do it.

I am not a pixie looking person either and would never describe myself as particularly pretty. But a good hairdresser will give you some good advice on what style would suit you best - don't scrimp on the cost. Invest in a good stylist. I love the bit where you're head feels 'free' when you go from long to short - I say do it!!

33goingon64 Thu 04-Sep-14 21:30:50

Thanks for the replies. I might go for it and see what happens. My hair grows pretty fast!

Petal02 Thu 04-Sep-14 21:49:26

I took the plunge at the beginning of June, and I've never looked back. My hair was well past my shoulders, totally straight, all one length, I felt it dragged my face down and made me look my age.

I've now got something like a long pixie cut (definitely shorter than a layered bob). I've always been quite 'girlie', I always wear make up and earrings, and I love clothes. But I feel modern, elegant, younger, fresher and still very feminine with my short hair. I've had sooooo many compliments, and I know I made the right decision. It's grown quite a bit since June, and that extra inch of length has just softened it slightly, but I don't plan to grow it much more.

IrnBruTheNoo Sat 01-Nov-14 20:20:12

This has been troubling me for some time. Due a hair cut this month and have been wondering for a while if I should just go for it and get the pixie hair cut style...I suppose just going for it is the best way to go and it can grow back if I don't like it. Ah decisions decisions!!!

Greengardenpixie Sat 01-Nov-14 20:50:20

I love my long hair. You can do so many things with it. I have had short hair many times including a pixie cut. It is much more annoying imo. Far more time spent faffing with it. I like to get up, put it up and go....If you have 'butch' looks, then a short cut is too severe. I think something softer around your face may work better? What about a bob? Something inbetween short and bob. look up pictures and see what you think you would look good with. Loads of ideas online.

Greengardenpixie Sat 01-Nov-14 20:52:54

www.hairstyleslook.com/images/Choppy-Bob-Hairstyles-for-Girls.jpg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now