Talk

Advanced search

Tights make my legs itch. Is it just me?

(25 Posts)
Spurtle Thu 10-Jul-14 21:33:56

Whenever I wear tights - and I'd normally wear 60 to 80 denier - the backs of my thighs itch unbearably when I've been sitting for a while. Does this happen to everyone or is it just me? Is there. Brand of tights I can buy that won't itch?

AdoraBell Thu 10-Jul-14 21:36:10

Not just you and, apparently now, not just me either!

Can't help though as I haven't found a solution, sorry.

Shesaysso Thu 10-Jul-14 21:37:39

Me too - can't stand the things, no advice though, just sympathy.

Namechangearoonie123 Thu 10-Jul-14 21:38:48

Yep, me too. Need to leg moisturise very well before wearing.

Elemis dry oil the best for it IMO.

jamaisjedors Thu 10-Jul-14 21:41:11

Yes, it happens to me, as you say, when I've been sitting for a while. Can't think of any obvious solution, sorry! I find the smoother opaque ones better for this than el cheapo ones which seem very nylony.

FlossieTreadlight Thu 10-Jul-14 21:42:36

It's my shins. Always my shins.

Spurtle Thu 10-Jul-14 21:47:34

Glad it's not just me. Wish there was an answer though. sad

Debs75 Thu 10-Jul-14 21:53:40

I itch dreadfully with tights but also with jeans and linen trousers. I do have excema severely on my legs and anything which makes my legs sweat is a no no. Saying that I have found 20 denier much easier to wear for about half a day

0pheliaBalls Thu 10-Jul-14 22:59:42

Me too. I just wear leggings instead now, much more comfortable (if not as smart).

I hated wearing tights for this reason and then someone on here recommended Falke Cotton Touch. They're not cheap but lovely, last winter I wore them pretty much every day to work.

Hold ups might be an alternative too.

kaykayblue Fri 11-Jul-14 09:46:56

Your legs are dry and the fibres in the tights are irritating your legs.

Try and buy good quality tights if possible, but more importantly than that you need to keep you skin really well hydrated, by drinking enough water, and by using a decent body cream.

The real bitch of it is that when you put body cream on (or oil or whatever) you have to wait ages to put your tights on otherwise they stick.

Sigh.

SpringyReframed Fri 11-Jul-14 10:29:00

I have this too and find that if I use Bio Oil on my legs and wear Wolford tights it doesnt happen. I imagine any good quality brand would do but I live near a Wolford discount shop and stock up when I go.

I appreciate getting ready for work in a hurry and oiling your legs isnt really compatible but once I started this routine I found I didnt have to do it every day. That said I'm sitting here scratching at my legs because I've just put some St Tropez on, but I am off on holiday and needs must and all that wink

Branleuse Fri 11-Jul-14 10:38:53

me too.

tanya1010 Fri 11-Jul-14 12:56:31

I think the brand of tights probably has a lot to do with it. Woolford are without doubt in my opinion the best tights you can buy. Yes they are very expensive but they wear and last much longer than cheaper brands. They are not only hard wearing and dont snag or ladder as easily as other brands, but they are extremely comfy. The waistband generaly stays put and doesnt roll down like other brands, they are stylish and feel nice next to your skin. I rarely have itchy legs wearing wolford like i sometimes get if i wear other brands. Expensive yes, but you pay for quality. I think if you try them you will like them so much that not only will it solve your itching but you will never go back to wearing other brands.

SpringyReframed Fri 11-Jul-14 13:05:26

Yes, agree totally tanya, and you can get "seconds" from the Bicester Outlet Village shop if ever go anywhere near there. There must be others too? I've never found the seconds much different to "perfect" ones.

SarahGoodwin33 Fri 11-Jul-14 15:21:34

I can vouch for posh seconds of wolford or falke tights. The imperfection is never on the leg area it's the waistband or gusset.
I have several seconds pairs of tights and they are as the perfect ones where it matters which is from foot to thigh!

tanya1010 Fri 11-Jul-14 16:54:23

Thanks for the info about the seconds Sarah and springy. I had seen wolford seconds before reduced in price but didnt realise it was a frequent thing. I have bought just one pair of seconds before and had no problem. Thought i was just lucky !

Spurtle Fri 11-Jul-14 18:05:20

Thanks for the recommendations, will give them a try.

justiceforitchytightsgirl Thu 05-Jan-17 18:55:46

Since I've ever remembered from a very small age I've been irritant to tights. Help me! sad angry

BusterGonad Thu 05-Jan-17 20:19:32

I find the cheaper the tights the more my legs itch! Cotton rich ones are best.

Fozzleyplum Fri 06-Jan-17 08:32:15

I have this problem too. I've found that moisturising with Aveeno lotion stops my legs itching.

aquariana Fri 06-Jan-17 09:37:39

try to use non synthetic tights!

CHJR Tue 10-Jan-17 19:47:54

Dermol 500 lotion for all the itchy bits. My dermatologist recommended (but it's non-prescription) and it definitely helps.

SheSaidNoFuckThat Tue 10-Jan-17 19:50:25

Only if it rains! Damp/weight tights are a complete itch fest

newyorklover81 Tue 10-Jan-17 19:52:29

Omg yes! I thought I had a weird problem grin I bought some fleece lined Ones and it doesn't do it with them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now