Talk

Advanced search

I hate my neck...What can i do about it?

(29 Posts)
Greengardenpixie Thu 03-Jul-14 10:29:53

My neck has become crepey and saggy. I have tried about a million creams and nothings helping. I reckon its mostly down to weight loss through pregnancy [ i had my last baby at 43] and of course my age [46], and although i try to avoid looking at it, it depresses me sooo much and i feel very self conscious about it. What upsets me the most is that i have a youngish face. Any ideas what i could do? I know it is the hardest place to reverse the signs of ageing but i would like to try something apart from surgery!!!
Anyone else hate their neck?

herbaceous Thu 03-Jul-14 12:27:40

< puts hand up> If I'm fat I've got a double chin; if I lose a few pounds I get turkey wattle. I'm not sure there's a solution, other than an elasticated balaclava, but I shall await further replies with interest!

Greengardenpixie Thu 03-Jul-14 12:56:50

Thank goodness herbaceous...i thought i was the only one. Thats the thing isnt it? If you are sporting a few pounds you have a double chin and if you lose it then you have a saggy neck ggggrrr...so true!!! The age old comment theres no wrinkles on a balloon rings sooo true!!!!

Raia Thu 03-Jul-14 17:12:53

<puts hand up>

I'm 46 too and now sporting a small wattle. I've been thinking about facial exercises but not done anything about it yet confused

LaurieFairyCake Thu 03-Jul-14 17:15:26

Neck lift

Though those exercises are supposed to be great

pinkflaming0 Thu 03-Jul-14 17:21:58

48 here and no wattle yet but crepeyness has been creeping up on me for a couple of years. facially I look younger than my years but my neck is starting to give me away.

It's fine if I grab the back of my neck and pull - maybe a bulldog clip judiciously placed is the answer?

Seriously though I'd love to find a solution but doubt I will.

Greengardenpixie Thu 03-Jul-14 17:32:21

Ha ha pink flamingo..im the same, if i grab the back of my neck wow, it looks fab!!!

A neck lift is not for me. Dont agree with surgery tbh. Even although i hate my neck i feel its important to embrace ageing as a natural part of life. I just dont want my neck ageing more than the rest of me. I would accept it more if i was older. I feel a bit too young to have such an old neck.

Basically, i noticed crepeyness first, then when i caught sight of myself sitting back on the chair when i was applying cream to my face, i was horrified at my neck. it was just all saggy..OMG i was shocked. I Look fine when im upright its just at certain angles. So i now sit upright in company and esp when i am out!!! I am ashamed of it tbh.

Waxlyrically Thu 03-Jul-14 18:11:01

This is timely for me. I'm 45 and made the shocking discovery last week that I have saggy crepey neck stuff happening. I have some particularly attractive flab around where my jaw and ears meet. I have shoulder length hair and wear it down all the time since this gruesome find but I await suggestions here with interest.

BeattieBow Thu 03-Jul-14 18:14:30

me too just under my chin - it's the only place I'm ageing so far. I was alright until I lost some weight.

Strangely, some days mine looks ok, but on other days its really wrinkly even if I'm the same weight. Not sure, maybe dehydration makes it worse?

So polo necks and scarves are the answer I think.

lainiekazan Thu 03-Jul-14 18:45:00

I noticed Dolly Parton's neck at Glastonbury. Usually the neck is a big giveaway as to age - but her neck was that of an 18-year-old! She was, however, wearing strange glove things - so presumably they don't do "hand lifts" yet.

Greengardenpixie Thu 03-Jul-14 18:54:56

Maybe dehydration does make it worse. <mental note to drink plenty water> I am so relieved that im not alone. I am becoming obsessed by necks lol...i look at everyones on the telly to make me feel better [or worse] You are making me feel less of a freak so thanks for everyones honesty.
It makes it worse too that my neck has always been graceful and long. My grans words come back to haunt me...i remember her saying [ about her own neck] that the beauty of her long and graceful neck was her worst feature as she aged!!! I can so relate!!!!

MalibuStacy Thu 03-Jul-14 19:00:48

Lush Lovely Jubblies applied on neck as well as breasts. Really makes a difference.

fourforksache Thu 03-Jul-14 19:06:45

I won't let anyone photograph me unless I'm lying down now grin

what are the exercises?

Greengardenpixie Thu 03-Jul-14 19:23:24

Well the ones i know are called facercise. If you google it, it will come up with a variety of techniques.

Gatekeeper Thu 03-Jul-14 19:26:27

I share your pain; i used to have a long and graceful neck but at 50 I have dewlaps and wattle and crepe. Looks shite and am aware that it jiggles about <sigh>

LoveVintage Thu 03-Jul-14 19:29:41

I'm 50 and my neck is going crepey and I am starting to get jowly. I sometimes get a real shock when I see my mother when I look in the mirror at certain angles. And don't even start me on facial hair. I have no answers sad

Gatekeeper Thu 03-Jul-14 19:29:43

I have decided to tie my hair together in a sort of ponytail, right in front of my neck. Either that or an endless supply of 'amusing' scarves. Bugger it!

fourforksache Thu 03-Jul-14 22:32:18

pixie, thank you wine

Greengardenpixie Thu 03-Jul-14 23:13:03

Found this acually fourforksache..and think i will be trying it again too!!! Nothing to lose!!

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1361218/The-ultimate-facercise-Forget-Botox--just-days-firmer-face-naturally.html

fourforksache Thu 03-Jul-14 23:43:57

that is really useful! thanks!

RonaldMcDonald Fri 04-Jul-14 00:40:03

I do neck exercises every night as my maw has a pelican
so far <42> tight as a drum
she claims it was all perfect until 45 and then overnight it became like a frog belly under her chin
balls

wafflyversatile Fri 04-Jul-14 00:59:18

This supposedly works. Only if you actually do it, I suspect.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/321399277900?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

Greengardenpixie Fri 04-Jul-14 09:09:18

Im going to try that grin grin
Actually Ronald I have yo say that your mums story is similar to mine. I never noticed anything up yo the last couple of years and then it all happened. I have a small pouch under my chin confused

hellsbellsmelons Fri 04-Jul-14 10:33:12

I feel your pain too.
I hate my neck.
I do wear chokers a lot when I'm out.
It's my 'thing'. I doesn't hide it all but it helps a bit.
I'm gonna try those exercises though.
But sadly, I fear only surgery will help me here.

Floisme Fri 04-Jul-14 13:01:46

I recommend jowls. They hide my neck brilliantly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now