Talk

Advanced search

Mulberry Bayswater...worth the money?

(38 Posts)
GherkinTheMerkin Fri 30-May-14 21:21:26

I'm really tempted to buy a Mulberry Bayswater Buckle.

www.mulberry.com/shop/whats-new/whats-new-all/bayswater-buckle-poppy-red-shrunken-calf

Usually I spend about �40 on a bag but want to buy a classic which will last. Is it complete madness to buy a bag that will cost about the same as we spent on my engagement ring?

I know there is a Mulberry factory shop at Cheshire Oaks, I know they want have this particular bag because it's new but is it worth a look before splashing out?

AngieM2 Fri 30-May-14 22:09:24

Its a lovely bag. I have some Mulberry's from the old days. Wouldn't spend £1200 on one. But if you love it and will use it to death then go for it.

nickdrakeslovechild Fri 30-May-14 22:52:37

Mulberry at the moment is not the Mulberry of a few years ago. Higher prices now but with lesser quality.

Openup41 Fri 30-May-14 23:18:31

Lovely bag!

£1200 for one bag though shock

I have never spent more than £50 <broke and cheap>

Pollywallywinkles Fri 30-May-14 23:29:41

I have a collection of Mulberry bags, but I've fallen out of love with Mulberry more recently. I saw this bag last weekend and can't say I liked it (even less so taking in to account the price).

If you have a burning desire, I would wait until it hits the sales.

Scousadelic Fri 30-May-14 23:34:19

I have a few and love them! I do usually wait for sales where I can but the bags do last well so, if you really don't want to miss it, I'd go for it

santamarianovella Fri 30-May-14 23:34:31

I agree with nick, they just cost way too much nowadays,there are loads of good designer bags out ther that are far better than mulberry,

GherkinTheMerkin Sat 31-May-14 00:17:55

Thanks everyone, when do the sales start?

I went to have a look today in Selfridges and felt ridiculous even looking at it! They had the bag in black which has nickel trim which I like. I prefer the red leather but that comes with gold trim which i'm not keen on.

I was on a training course last week and the lady next to me had a bayswater. Someone asked her about it and she admitted it was fake, a really good one from Dubai apparently. It sparked off a whole conversation about how ridiculous it would be to spend that much money on a bag. I really like navy and red so other brands I like such as Vivienne Westwood just haven't got anything I like at the moment.

Maybe I should wait until I find something that I like absolutely everything about before I part with my money confused

mswibble Sat 31-May-14 00:23:40

I think their prices are due to drop, they have a new head honcho from what ive read and he's taking the brand back to what it used to be rather than trying to compete with the bigger design houses.
I have a Barnaby and a Dan which I adore, not really keen on the womens bags.

Chottie Sat 31-May-14 05:19:02

It's gorgeous. I'm another handbag fan.

If you can afford it, buy it, use it and enjoy it. It is a classic style and would be good for both work and weekend.

TarkaTheOtter Sat 31-May-14 05:46:21

I've got a classic bayswater and it hasn't aged that well - the trim scuffs very easily.

Hakluyt Sat 31-May-14 05:59:01

Of course it's not with the money. How could it possibly be? It's some beautiful leather sewn skilfully together- just like loads of other bags that cost a fraction of that. It will hold your stuff and last as long as long as one of those.

If you love it and can afford it and like the idea of owning a Mulberry and the status that goes with that for some people then go right ahead.

But don't think in terms of it being worth it, or value for money. It isn't. But it probably doesn't matter.

Eastpoint Sat 31-May-14 06:03:33

I read the same thing as mswibble, that they are going to drop their prices and go back to their core market. Their current prices are similar to Prada. Have you had a look at Tods bags? They are beautiful leather and more competitively priced (still hundreds though).

Tods

coraltoes Sat 31-May-14 06:16:07

I bought a few mulberry bags about 5 yrs ago. They were about £600 each...how the hell did they double their prices?!

ThePerfectNegroni Sat 31-May-14 06:35:24

Mine is three years old, has worn terribly and has now been demoted to a work bag. Not worth the money at all.

BlondePieceOffFluff Sat 31-May-14 06:35:32

I've heard the same as mswibble, my DH had read that they were going to drop their prices again to be good quality bags for a reasonable (but not cheap) price. At the moment they are priced like the luxury brands, and for those prices there are "better" bags.
I like the one you got an eye on, but if you don't love everything about it, why not look for something you really love or wait for it to come down in price and see if you feel it is worth it then, or it may come in a make you love more later.
I have a couple of Mulberry's from before the price increase and they are lovely, only thing I don't like about them is the lack of "interior", like lining and pockets etc. I think they are worth the price they used to be, but not what they are trying to sell them for now.
I don't agree with buying fakes though, but that is a whole other debate grin

Bunbaker Sat 31-May-14 06:46:54

How is a bag worth that much? Is it trimmed with gold? I am currently sat in the sun on fab holiday in a 5 star hotel that cost less per person than a handbag. I know which I would rather spend my money on.

Hakluyt Sat 31-May-14 07:56:54

Of course it's not worth that much! That's the point.

GherkinTheMerkin Sat 31-May-14 14:04:12

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas. Maybe it's worth waiting then, I think I might like the winter colours more. I think i'd be embarrassed at having spent that much money on a bag but can't find anything I like as much. I should attach the purchase to an achievement, like losing weight grin

LadySybilLikesCake Sat 31-May-14 14:05:25

No. I'd hang on until they drop the prices (or are in the sale).

I have a couple of Mulberry bags. There's no way I'd pay full price for one now.

mrsrhodgilbert Sat 31-May-14 14:22:38

I agree the bag is lovely, I have quite a few Mulberries. It's not quite true that they have a new head honcho, they got rid of the last guy as he was deemed responsible for the terrible price hikes and have reinstated a previous boss until they can find a new permanent design director.

I also don't believe there will be any price reductions. They may have better sales, introduce a few new designs at a lower price point and have no more price rises for quite a while but I don't think any bag will come down in price.

This bag is from the new winter range which is just beginning to filter into the shops, it will not be in the sale until after Christmas. I don't suppose you want to wait that long? It does come in a darker colour called oxblood.

onedogatoddlerandababy Sat 31-May-14 14:29:44

Those tods bags are lovely. I've seen one I'd love. But it is hundreds! sad <thinks furiously of stuff to sell>

mswibble Sat 31-May-14 15:23:16

If you are paying such a large amount on a bag I think you really need to love it. Dont compromise and if you're not truly 100% on it then my advice would be to wait. Have a look on Purse Forum too - lots of ladies on there with Mulberry collections and they have lots of advice/info on the various bags, finishes and hardware.
My two bags are both Darwin and I really prefer that type as opposed to the smoother finishes but then i am a bit rough with mine!

Scousadelic Sat 31-May-14 15:32:06

My Mulberrys are used as everyday, solid workhorse handbags. They are lovely but there are so many fakes around they are rarely commented on. The one bag I have which gets "wows" every time I take it out is a Vivienne Westwood which is this shape but bigger and in different colours so it depends if you want a classic, quality, everyday bag you will get value out of or a stunning one.

BloodFlower Sat 31-May-14 16:21:10

I think if it's an investment piece you need to consider the fact that, by the look of the picture, you can't put it over your shoulder. If you usually carry bags in the crook of your arm this isn't a problem of course, but if you're normally a shoulder bag person you might want to think about how practical it'll be and how often you'll use it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now