Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I am desperate for a stylish rain coat ...

(45 Posts)
Karenblixen Sun 27-Apr-14 09:41:39

Any ideas, please?

Ideally in black and with a hood (there seem to be lots of coats that are described as rainwear and have no hood - I don't get on with umbrellas and usually have my hands full).

flowers

trixymalixy Sun 27-Apr-14 14:58:40

These are nice. Although you don't say what your budget is?

iwantavuvezela Sun 27-Apr-14 15:04:48

Me too so will watch this thread. Anyone have one from seasalt? Sorry can't link.

4amInsomniac Sun 27-Apr-14 15:32:21

I have a Seasalt mac, although you'll find some on here find them frumpy. I embrace my inner frump, and I'm always being asked where I got it from!

sharingeverythingtwice Sun 27-Apr-14 15:36:55

www.outdoorlook.co.uk/merrell-womens-miette-insulated-waterproof-parka-jacket-manganese-heather-jwf21472 I thunk this comes in black! I have one and it keeps me really dry.

sharingeverythingtwice Sun 27-Apr-14 15:37:42

Think not thunk and . not !, stupid ipad.

Karenblixen Sun 27-Apr-14 18:28:22

Thank you all flowers It's a present from DM and I am supposed to pick something nice. I will now take a look at all your suggestions while cooking dinner!

Karenblixen Sun 27-Apr-14 18:40:59

I am not sure about Seasalt, I like to look at their pretty clothes, but that style just does not suit me sad - it makes me look like I am wearing dressing up. If I could afford it, I would buy everything from Me and Em - but anyway, they don't do rain coats grin.

The Protected Species one is nice, may be a bit too sporty and pricey.

trixymalixy Sun 27-Apr-14 19:00:39

they do a lovely trench coat as well, which I'm thinking of buying to wear to work. They are a bit pricey though.

Karenblixen Sun 27-Apr-14 21:01:37

The trench coat looks great - how are their sizes, have you bought anything from them before, trixy?

cheapskatemum Sun 27-Apr-14 21:50:14

I wore my Seasalt mac for the first time this weekend - I got one of the patterned ones. I absolutely love it & it kept me nice and dry.

WitchWay Sun 27-Apr-14 21:52:17

I wore my patterned Seasalt mac for the first time last Friday smile

LaTrucha Mon 28-Apr-14 07:08:19

Ilse Jacobsen I have my eye on this make

I think a classic Mac is more stylish than a parka.

I have an Aigle one I love! Serious quality

PaperPomPom Mon 28-Apr-14 07:28:08

That Protected Species mac is the answer to all of my stylish raincoat questions. Marking place to find our on sizing - as a 12-14 I'm concerned!

Yes and how sweaty and polyestery will it be?!

AngelsWithSilverWings Mon 28-Apr-14 08:02:06

My Seasalt raincoat is the best thing I've ever bought. I've not found one better.

HercShipwright Mon 28-Apr-14 08:32:47

I have two seasalt raincoats. They are superb.

Funny you should say that you feel like you are dressing up in their clothes OP - I often feel like I am wearing 'my mums clothes' when I wear smart clothes, suits etc - and I just look silly. I look proper in my seasalt clothes though (mind you there are lines They do that I wouldn't wear). I think that's because I am constitutionally and temperamentally unable to go any more upscale than smartish casual. I suspect the truly smart find seasalt too unstructured and scruffy. grin

trixymalixy Mon 28-Apr-14 08:48:20

I haven't bought from protected species, it was my friend who was raving about how lovely the coats were. I think the fabric is proper breathable waterproof fabric. I shall ask about sizing.

I have an Aigle trench too Fiscal, but I've lost weight and now it's too big, so I need to replace it.

Karenblixen Mon 28-Apr-14 09:26:33

Oh no, I admire Seasalt clothes and I think they are very pretty, but they don't go with my colouring. I honestly look in these colours and patterns as though I am wearing a nightgown. On someone else they look lovely and smart. I can only wear a few colours, such as black grin, navy, grey, pink and some reds, blues and purples.

I would love to be able to wear one of these flowery dresses from Seasalt.

Having said that, they have black and dark navy raincoats, I like the one with the thick pink quilting, it's not quite what I want, but the quilting looks very cosy (it's cold outside).

I have seen Ilse Jacobsen coats in a shop the other day, but their coats look very fitted. I think I read a review that people struggled with them on bicycles, for examples, as they did not have enough freedom of movement. I saw a lady wearing one too and she looked a bit stuck and rigid. I find them a bit too severe looking. Especially these black shiny ones and the red shiny one with matching hat to my mind has a Cebeebies feel to it. I seem to be looking at everyone's rain coats now. grin

The last raincoat I bought was from Joules in 2007 and it's only fit for gardening now.

Karenblixen Mon 28-Apr-14 09:32:39

In Seasalt, if you are between 10 and 12, which size would you buy?

frankietwospots Mon 28-Apr-14 09:35:31

I'd say Seasalt come up small.

Seasalt look awful on me.

Like a 12 yr old, or a 70 yr old is how I look in them!

40s can be a difficult age to dress.

Karenblixen Mon 28-Apr-14 09:39:06

I just saw that the difference in width between 10 and 12 is 10cm! That's a lot. I was looking at the Kellifray Mac.

Thank you, frankie.

drspouse Mon 28-Apr-14 09:40:29

I have a flowery Lands End trench coat which I wear with a rain hat (same umbrella issues). It doesn't have a horrid elasticated waist and I get a lot of compliments on it. I find the hat so much easier than trying to keep a hood up/see out of it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: