Talk

Advanced search

I'm now fifty - ok to still wear vintage? !

(5 Posts)
ginorwine Thu 03-Apr-14 21:41:48

Have worn authentic vintage or vintage inspired all my life since being in late teens. Now feel like I'm trying to be like I was in my teens to others when really I just love vintage. Am starting to occasionally feel like I'm in fancy dress. I no longer wear 50 s full frocks and go for more fitted shifts but keep my slight beehive! Any words of wisdom fellow vintage lovers ?

Floisme Fri 04-Apr-14 07:32:17

I'm 57 and used to be a vintage queen. Normally I'm on these age threads yelling 'wear what you like' but I know what you mean. I had a Moment several years ago when I was going out in a 1930s, floor-length frock, checked myself in the mirror and there was Miss Haversham looking right back at me grin

I mostly stick to the jackets and jewelry these days. However I think this is down to body shape as much as age. A lot of my stuff is 1920s-30s (from the days when it was all just 'second hand' and easily available - I blame Kate Moss!) The clothes suited me because I was flat chested but now I have boobs (the menopause) and they don't look right at all. Also floaty fabrics accentuate the sagginess/flappiness going on elsewhere!

I think I would still wear 50s/40s as a lot of it is more structured and designed for grown women rather than teenagers. So if that is your favourite era then I bet you look fine. And you must keep the beehive - it sounds fabulous! Yes it is all a bit fancy dress but it's exactly the same when younger women do it and we are just as entitled to dress up as they are!

Chipandspuds Fri 04-Apr-14 14:14:04

As long as you wear it with confidence go for it IMO! One if the ladies I worked with used to dress a bit punky (she toned it down for the office) but I always admired her style as she was an individual.

Ujjayi Fri 04-Apr-14 14:54:55

LOL at Miss Haversham, Floisme

I wonder if it's the beehive that is making it feel fancy dress, OP? I'm in my 40s and decided to go for a more edgy hair colour a few weeks ago instead of my usual blonde highlights. I figured that as I don't look my age and I wear a lot of vintage that it would work. Unfortunately whilst the hair was fabulous, there in the mirror was my mother staring back at me. I'm planning to revert back to my usual shade of blonde (although I will be secretly gutted to lose the platinum shade that I thought I always wanted).

Although I also agree with Floisme that we should just say sod it and wear what we like. Individuality is not the preserve of the young smile

MrsMcEnroe Fri 04-Apr-14 15:02:28

I'm wondering if you are the lady with the beehive who came into my shop earlier this week!

If you are - you look fab grin

I have plenty of customers in their 50s who still wear 50s full-skirted frocks and they look great, as I'm sure you would, but your style as you've described it also sounds very elegant and classy. Go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now