Talk

Advanced search

Sheer cream blouse with black undies?

(16 Posts)
NumptyNu Thu 03-Apr-14 19:45:43

I've seen a couple of people wearing black spaghetti strap type vests underneath see-through cream blouses recently. Once upon a time this would have been a no-no, but I thought it looked quite good. Is this on trend at the minute?

Bunbaker Thu 03-Apr-14 19:46:41

Regardless of whether it is "in" these days I hate seeing dark underwear under light coloured clothes.

Fillingtime Thu 03-Apr-14 19:53:30

I've only seen it on young girls who think it's an achievement of some kind to show off their bras.

Karbea Thu 03-Apr-14 19:53:55

You should always wear the same or a shade lighter under your top layer. Black underwear, cream top, no.

NumptyNu Thu 03-Apr-14 22:23:26

Mmmm, no no no is my instinct too.

charitygirl Fri 04-Apr-14 06:47:11

But it's not undies is it? It's a black camisole type vest - pretty different. I agree OP, it's a look I've seen a bit recently.

LordPalmerston Fri 04-Apr-14 06:49:46

No I think the op means a contrasting vest

charitygirl Fri 04-Apr-14 07:02:25

And anyway 'should's are a massive yawn.

DrankSangriaInThePark Fri 04-Apr-14 07:07:29

Emperor's New Clothes.

I used to wear a black lacy "body" under a sheer white top.

Obviously I was 18 and making a statement at the time.

I would still see nothing wrong with a black vest under white though. It's not like it's a wonderbra poking out is it?

Witchywitch Fri 04-Apr-14 08:33:42

I think a black cami under a sheer cream blouse would look lovely, with black trousers or skirt. A bra wouldn't be great but a cami is fine imo

PrincessOfChina Fri 04-Apr-14 08:43:11

Yep, I would do this - black cami, black skinnies and a cream chiffon blouse. Looks good IMO and nothing like flashing underwear!

starfishmummy Fri 04-Apr-14 08:51:32

Tacky

Nocomet Fri 04-Apr-14 09:10:01

A cami top and a strapless bra, so you only see one neat set of straps is absolutely fine.

DD1 does this although in her case it's orange, khaki and blue camis, under tops that have bits of these colours on cream/white.

To my mind the rules for underwear showing are simple.

1) Choose underwear that shows you know it can be seen. It's inevitable bras show in some stupid summer dresses. Choose a bra that coordinates, a greying white bra strap isn't a good look with anything.

2) No one ever wants to see more of a bra, than a hint of the strap.

A camisole you'd be happy to wear in public on a hot day is fine under a shear blouse, your valentines night lacy bra is not!

LyndaCartersBigPants Fri 04-Apr-14 09:17:10

'Undies' is a bit vague.

Cami/vest then yes why not? Contrasting vest under sheer top sounds nice to me.

Bra, only for a night out where other people may be showing just as much flesh without the sheer blouse to cover it up a bit.

Nocomet Fri 04-Apr-14 10:50:50

The very pretty bra I'm thinking of was in Sainsbury's!

ithaka Fri 04-Apr-14 10:55:01

I wear a dark green vest under white lace top, with my green skinny jeans. I like the look. A bra would be tacky, but a vest top is fine & the contrast colour stops the white lace looking twee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now