Talk

Advanced search

Does this sound ok for a job interview?

(9 Posts)
BroomstickRider Wed 02-Apr-14 13:17:11

I have a job interview a week on Friday for a customer service type job. I've been a sahm for nearly 9 years so a bit nervous and out of touch. Would black trousers, a blouse and smart cardigan be ok? I am 39, 5 foot 6 and slim if that makes any difference. I also have thick curly hair and I've recently had it cut into layers so it usually hangs with a few shorter bits at the front and the rest at the back, not in my face. Would wearing it loose be ok? I look a lot better with it loose.
The job is part time and around £16k pro rata so nothing high powered but I want to make a good impression! Grateful for any advice!

therighttoshoes Wed 02-Apr-14 13:23:19

I would try and get a cheap black jacket, (primark & tesco have some nice ones) it will look smarter than a cardigan.

ReginaldBlinker Wed 02-Apr-14 13:25:24

disagree with shoes. I think a smart cardigan looks nicer than a poorly cut jacket. H&M can sometimes do decent ones, but don't see anything wrong with a cardigan... It's what I wore to my interview for a more senior role, and I got the job grin

mermaidbutmytailfelloff Wed 02-Apr-14 13:26:16

i agree about the jacket but not black, too hard to make it match at all, I would look for another colour - grey maybe. Matalan can be good for jackets, I bought a boiled wool one there a while ago and it always gets compliments

hotcrosshunny Wed 02-Apr-14 13:29:54

Get a jacket. you can pick them up from hennes.

BroomstickRider Wed 02-Apr-14 13:31:00

Thanks, will try on some jackets and see how they look, but will avoid black, it does nothing for me!

tethersend Wed 02-Apr-14 13:35:25

I'm in the jacket camp too, I'm afraid- something relaxed like this would work over black trousers and a black, white or strong coloured top.

BroomstickRider Wed 02-Apr-14 16:19:25

Thanks all. I'll go looking at jackets tomorrow.

KitKins Wed 02-Apr-14 22:29:38

I think it depends. I used to be part of an interviewing process for customer service type roles and quite often the ladies in jackets were more uncomfortable, nervous and seemed out of place. Often the ladies that wore cardigans (short not boyfriend) carried themselves with a little more confidence and so looked smarter.

Most customer service is all about being approachable, calm and logical.

i would say go with what you feel most comfortable and confident in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now