Talk

Advanced search

What tops if you have big boobs?

(12 Posts)
Bluebell79 Tue 01-Apr-14 16:46:26

I've been measured and I'm wearing a 32g, in tops I wear a 14 or 16 if there's no stretch. I'm unsure what tops suit my shape, tunics which go in under the bust empire line? Look ok but I do feel a bit frumpy. Shirts either gape at the bust or make me feel bigger and shapeless. Loose tops again make me look bigger and shapeless. Currently I'm wearing vest tops with a cardigan, but if it gets hot and I take the cardi off, the vest looks too clingy. I carry weight on my tummy and would say I'm apple shaped.

Looking to hear what things people wear who are a similar shape, links please.

BenevolentVole Tue 01-Apr-14 17:02:06

I would always choose a v neck, as high necks tend to make the bust look bigger.

MermaidInTheBasement Tue 01-Apr-14 17:14:46

First things first- get yourself fitted for a couple of really great bras. They will take inches off you and stop that 'shelf' look under certain clothes.

Avoid anything that hangs off the breasts- it'll make you look like oyu are in full sail.

Look for a small V neck- down to the beginning of the cleavage and wear a lovely necklace with it. Draws the eye up.

Avoid a lot of cleavage showing.

A good blazer or Summer jacket in a lightweight cotton or Summer weight wool worn over a form fitting top or shirt with a good bra will take off inches and distract the eye. Same again with a shrug worn over a vest- you can get lightweight summery cotton cardi shrugs. Wear one of these over a couple of vests, a vest with a control bust 'shelf' underneath another vest. The longer one underneath.

Buy shirts from companies that cut for larger breasts. Bravissimo does work ones.

Re tops - Go for stripes (pin striped and breton stripes) and boat necks are also lovely as are off the shoulder worn with a vest underneath so you don't expose too much cleavage. It is a myth that horizontal stripes are widening. They are actually the opposite- they define and streamline the shape but choose the width of the stripe carefully- you may want to try wide/narrow and see what looks best.

Re prints- nothing too large, nothing too busy. Make sure the print doesn't 'stretch' over the breast and distort. Small modern florals are good as are abstract shapes- when a shape repeats in a predictable way the eye is more trained on anything 'getting in the way' of the way the pattern looks. If it is a shape that we don't recognise- abstract shapes or distortions of a floral, say, then the breasts become less noticeable.

Wear tops that skim your hips and follow your shape. Nothing blowsy or billowy. Empire line can work but it can also get a bit 'Jane Austen' tits on a plate IYKWIM? I'd wear Empire only if the bottom half is very streamlined and maybe a blazer/ cardigan on top.

Cherrypie32 Tue 01-Apr-14 17:30:23

That advice is very comprehensive. I just came on to say there has been quite a lot of threads on this recently including a very useful one on going out tops for apples so have a search.

rollonthesummer Tue 01-Apr-14 17:46:25

Pepperberry for tops, definitely. Be careful with empire line as they can look rather maternity like.

noddyholder Tue 01-Apr-14 17:52:02

Slash necks semi fitted 3/4 sleeves tunic shaped blouses but not long gap style. No stripes over about an E cup I think they look matronly sometimes. Plain colours I find best no big jazzy patterns. Pepperberry are frumpy ime although have never really looked closely as I think they are all about the boobs and somehow not about style. Layers is good a tight vest with a looser fine knit over the top. Shirts can look butch (on me) so I avoid mostly. Gypsy type tops can work if they are not too voluminous.

noddyholder Tue 01-Apr-14 17:53:58

this shape is good for t shirts

Bumbandit Tue 01-Apr-14 17:55:25

BiuBiu cheaper and better quality shirts than Pepperberry IMO. Tshirts from DD Atelier also good (but have had some problems with their returns - postal related, their customer service is excellent! Some other things on their site are really not to my taste tho...

Maraki Tue 01-Apr-14 21:47:09

cowl neck

Maraki Tue 01-Apr-14 21:48:36

tunics

Maraki Tue 01-Apr-14 21:50:16

bias cut cowl neck

TheGrassIsSinging Tue 01-Apr-14 21:59:12

32E and a deep v neck with a cami underneath is what works for me. Anything higher just gives me a shelf look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now