Talk

Advanced search

Please recommend a good everyday moisturiser with a high SPF.

(22 Posts)
Localeditorshropshire Tue 01-Apr-14 14:03:40

Just that really. I always put a suncream type one on whist on holiday but just use my ordinary moisturiser at home with a SPF of 15. Would like a much higher protection factor but without the greasiness of an actual suncream.

Thanks.

TheJumped Tue 01-Apr-14 19:12:40

I use a Soap and Glory BB cream that is SPF25. I wear foundation on top, it's not a proper BB cream really as it's translucent but it is lovely and leaves my skin smooth and primed. Not a very rich moisturising effect but I find it enough for day to keep my skin soft and comfortable, then go all out with oil and Nivea overnight. I find a lot of high SPF products leave my skin very clogged. If I'm out in the sun all day I'll wear La Roche Posay SPF50 tinted moisturiser but it makes me quite orange, wish they did a paler version!

Localeditorshropshire Tue 01-Apr-14 19:38:24

Thank you for your reply. I might go for the orange look- I need all the SPF I can get, I'm getting more wrinkled by the day.

JokersGiggle Tue 01-Apr-14 20:03:47

No7 anti dark spot Facial sun protection in spf 50 (also comes in 30)
It also sits well under makeup and is moisturising smile

FrugalFashionista Tue 01-Apr-14 20:07:52

If you want to tone down the orange in LRP Anthelios tinted sunscreen, mix it 50/50 with untinted Anthelios in a separate jar (baby food jar or the plastic ones from Muji) and apply it with a spatula.

rootypig Tue 01-Apr-14 20:08:27

Eucerin even brighter spf 30

rootypig Tue 01-Apr-14 20:10:17

sorry posted too soon blush

Alpha H has a fab spf 50

stuckindamiddle Tue 01-Apr-14 20:42:33

My Simple 'protecting' one is SPF30. It's in a bottle.

I also have a Tesco own brand face sun cream / moisturer which is factor 30. Gold coloured tube, displayed with the sun creams rather than the face creams. Not greasy and v slightly tinted.

TheJumped Tue 01-Apr-14 21:20:10

That's a good tip Frugal. I do find LRP Anthelios very pore clogging though too so would like to find a replacement heavy duty one before summer kicks in - I do like Clinique City Block SPF40, but find it pricey as it's a tiny tube, plus it wasn't available anywhere for love or money last summer. Planning to try Ultrasun anti ageing next I think, was recommended on here and is in SPF 50 or 30.

willybreeder Tue 01-Apr-14 22:14:02

I use Boots Once Soltan for the face. They do it in factor 30 and 50. Its around £7. Bargin and all day spf smile

Localeditorshropshire Wed 02-Apr-14 10:40:03

Thanks all for your suggestions, I will lurk around Boots and try out the cheaper ones and look on the Internet at the more expensive suggestions.

billandcoo Wed 02-Apr-14 11:05:23

I heard that spf's added to moisturisers and foundations are unstable and actually last only an hour or so. With that in mind I switched to Ultrasun Face 50+ as I have issues with pigmentation.

cloutiedumpling Wed 02-Apr-14 11:32:17

Sadly, I know that the spf added to the Clinique almost makeup tube lasts more than an hour. I had put it on the bits of my face that are slightly more red to even out skintone, rather than everywhere on my face. The sun was brighter than I had been expecting and I ended up looking like a reverse panda, with white areas around my mouth and nose and red everywhere else!

TheJumped Wed 02-Apr-14 12:24:33

I'd be interested to see scientific study of the idea that some creams claiming to have SPF don't work as they should, as I would hope that we should be able to trust the packaging's claims. Except those about smoothing out wrinkles, obv!

RonaldMcDonald Wed 02-Apr-14 12:28:24

I use prep n prim by mac in spf 50 everyday

RonaldMcDonald Wed 02-Apr-14 12:29:28

there is also a good kiss my face one for face and neck that is spf 30
i get that in the us and you can get it on amazon

billandcoo Wed 02-Apr-14 13:16:37

thejumped putting 'how long does spf in a moisturiser last' into a search engine suggests (from many sources) that if you're not perspiring then it lasts 2 to 3 hours and must be reapplied every 2 hours to be protective.

LadyFromLaLaLand Wed 02-Apr-14 18:12:33

I've just bought Bobbi Brown BB Cream. It has an spf35. Can be worn alone (lovely) or as a primer/treatment product under foundation. I thoroughly recommend. No "cast" to it. Not greasy. Helps foundation "stay". Expensive at £29 but, you need only a wee bit.

FrugalFashionista Wed 02-Apr-14 18:49:09

I get hyperpigmentation very easily and wanted to check some of those often repeated claims -

Study 1, SPF losing efficacy during the day (does happen, but not as dramatic as thought)

Study 2, SPF in moisturizers (not a bad as thought, provided that you apply lots of it)

Too lazy to check who funded the studies, bet Nivea are involved in a way or another wink

TheJumped Wed 02-Apr-14 19:37:21

Thanks Frugal, that is reassuring. I mean, it's cheaper to buy 'proper' sunscreen but not as nice for the face so I prefer cosmetic products. I might try a couple of other BB creams out as I want to limit the number of products I put on my face so to just cleanse, BB as an all in one SPF, moisture and primer and then foundation would suit me best. The Soap and Glory one is really surprisingly nice but I need a higher SPF really.

specialsubject Wed 02-Apr-14 19:41:54

general rule with all suncreams is to apply every 3 hours or so, more often if sweating/swimming/rubbing with towel.

any suncream is better than none, of course.

Ambre Solaire do good non-greasy suncreams - try the sports ones. Cost a bomb but they do turn up on special offer at times, so worth a look out. Also try Wilkinsons, not Boots!

MadBusLady Wed 02-Apr-14 22:07:17

Estée Lauder daywear SPF 50 kept me lily white all last summer (but I stay out of the sun as much as possible anyway - which is obviously just as well judging by the reapplying thing) and feels basically like a normal moisturiser. Clinique City block is good too but it's tinted and I don't always want a tint. Both leave me a little oily but then so do most things when it's hot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now