Talk

Advanced search

Am I the only one that feels crap 6 months after giving birth ???

(32 Posts)
Lozzy123 Tue 01-Apr-14 00:02:45

Hey I had a baby 6 months ago and honestly feel shitty about myself. Tired all the time, figure is not what it used to be and can't find the right clothes. Any of you in a similar situation?

OsMalleytheCat Tue 01-Apr-14 00:13:37

Yep! Exactly the same, DS is 6months and my pre pregnancy clothes are too small, my maternity clothes are baggy making my tummy look bigger than it is! I'm still BF so everything has to be accessible, I have no money for new clothes and less than no desire to buy clothes two sizes bigger than the last time I bought clothes sad

I realise that's no help to you but you're not alone!

My hair has just started to fall out as well....it's everywhere!

BrieMonster Tue 01-Apr-14 02:01:39

Well I'm 8 months in but yes, me too. Have put on a tonne of weight and due back at work shortly... Have a uniform to squeeze into. Also still BF and much as I love it, it limits the wardrobe.
I never noticed the hair fall out, just the regrowth! I'll be an absolute vision when I rock up to work next month! Not sure if new shoes will detract form all the other negatives but it's all I can do.

Actually, I joke, but am feeling a lot lot better since starting C25K in January. Lost a bit of weight but confident it's only the beginning, and feeling so so much better. Glad I didn't wait until I was getting enough sleep or stopped BF, just got on with it against the odds.

I still think I look terrible but am headed in the right direction. If your maternity clothes are baggy that's a good start. Mine weren't!!

Headlikeafuckingorange Tue 01-Apr-14 08:32:47

7 months here and feel the same! I've managed to lose a bit of weight but my shape has changed a lot. I used to be hourglass but now I've got a saggy lumpy middle and my boobs look huge and crap due to wearing nursing bras. I can't wear any of my old dresses as they are not bf suitable so I'm living in jeans and loose tops. Frumptastic. I need to go shopping for summer clothes but no idea what suits me anymore and I want to lose a bit more weight so it seems a waste of money really!

Luckily the hairloss has slowed down now, that was fun !

Pennypig Tue 01-Apr-14 09:13:44

I feel rubbish too, 5 months in. Having to wear tops to breast feed in doesn't help, shirts and vests that make me feel frumpy. A nice breast feeding top doesn't exist IMO and I just can't get to grips with the lifting up of tshirt. Hair falling out and looking just like dry straw, which is a bad look on dark brown hair. Skin going a bit dull and lifeless. Saggy tummy, although I seem to be able to fit into my old clothes so I must have lost weight, my shape seems to be completely different. I have a lovely baby though and will be slowing down on the feeding soon so hopefully can wear nice clothes again soon

BridgeMix Tue 01-Apr-14 09:55:08

It gets better, honestly. I was amazed how long it took me to feel like I was getting back to myself. Congratulations on your babies, all of you - it's a huge life change, so be kind to yourselves. Have some flowers

Shopgirl1 Tue 01-Apr-14 10:54:54

I have 5 month old twins and am still wearing maternity jeans or else jogging pants. I'm exhausted, carrying 3 stone more than my pre pregnancy weight and feel so unattractive. Started walking this week and going to start working on my diet now, I'm not breast feeding anymore, it was too much with two babies, but still eating more than normal as two babies take a lot of strength. Hoping to be back into normal jeans by July. May be wishful thinking.

Stokey Tue 01-Apr-14 11:10:05

Don't be too hard on yourselves - you're all doing brilliantly looking after your babies which is the most important thing.

I was always told 9 months to gain it , 9 months to lose it, which is not unrealistic. Personally I could never lose the last stone or so until I stopped BFing - 8 months with each (and still have a rogue half stone that has never left --because I can't stop eating chocolate for long enough--). And your figure does change, so your old wardrobe may not sit the same way as it did pre-pregnancy.

Pennypig I found some good BFing summer dresses at Mamaway, easy to wear with leggings.

Pennypig Tue 01-Apr-14 11:32:22

Thanks stokey, I'll have a look

soupmaker Tue 01-Apr-14 11:35:14

Same here. I'm 8 months in with DD2. Was overweight before so always carried a couple of extra stones. Now have a very saggy, baggy middle and changed body shape. My love handles are enormous.

I've just bought some high waisted skinny jeans which are great for holding in my jelly belly. Even mid rise jeans a disaster.

I'm still BF too and the only way to look half reasonable is to wear said jeans, vest and baggy top, then a nipped in at the waist blazer.

I'm dreading the summer months.

morethanpotatoprints Tue 01-Apr-14 11:40:28

Oh bless you all thanks

I was like this with my first, it took a year to feel anything like the person I felt happy about.
It will get better, its so hard when they are little as well.
Everything is new to you and if any of you were like me, always questioning yourself, a bit worried or apprehensive at each stage and your body not being how you remember it.

The second baby is usually a lot better as you know what to expect and also are a bit more realistic about your expectations. You aren't bothered that mrs Jones 3 doors down seems to have it together quicker than you.

By the third, labour is usually much quicker, you are more laid back, fitting into jeans a week later, well I was anyway grin
No fuss at all, ease straight back into it and look delightful.

Fattyfattyyumyum Tue 01-Apr-14 14:20:55

Well I'm 12 months down the line and not much better than you lot! Extended mat leave has a lot to answer for, I'm sure it just delays us feeling anything like "normal". Have been losing weight since Xmas but still 1.5 stone to go, and not sure if the C Section belly overhang will ever go confused

FrankCarsonsDressingRoom Tue 01-Apr-14 15:04:16

I'm with fattyyumyum sad
Plus...
My face is at my belly,
M belly is at me knees

I feel like I'm melting.

OsMalleytheCat Tue 01-Apr-14 17:08:11

Wish we weren't all feel inline this but I'm glad to know I'm not alone, I find that at all my baby groups all the other mums seem to have sprung back into shape!

And the swimming classes! I wish I wasn't so so bloody jealous! But I am. sad

Wheresmysocks Tue 01-Apr-14 17:18:52

I was back in size 8 jeans, 8:days after giving birth. Dd is now 8 weeks old.

Everyone is shocked at how quickly I went back to 'normal'.

I feel like shite! I might be skinny but my stomach is wrecked & looks disgusting.

I'm bf, tired & today feeling totally drained.

Stop stressing about your weight ladies as it's about looking after yourselves & feeling better. Not how much you weigh.

AnythingNotEverything Tue 01-Apr-14 17:19:06

DD is almost 6 months, and what's made a difference to me is converting a normal underwired bra for nursing (kits are about £5 on eBay) and just biting the bullet and buying new clothes. It feels like a false economy but the better you feel the more inclined you are to make healthier choices and get cracking with that exercise. I second the suggestion of high waisted skinnies.

I'm also down to only two bits of cake a day, which is helping.

Go easy on yourselves. You grew a whole baby, and have to put that little person first all day every day. Some days you don't get a look in. Be kind to yourself.

Headlikeafuckingorange Tue 01-Apr-14 18:40:27

Bra conversion it - genius! I'm going to try that as I think the grotty nursing bras are the biggest issue for me!

soupmaker Tue 01-Apr-14 19:49:26

I'm hoping that I'll lose at least one spare tyre when I stop BF!

AnythingNotEverything Tue 01-Apr-14 19:51:42

Honestly - the kits are easy. It was a revelation to me!

CareerGirl01 Tue 01-Apr-14 20:46:07

Ahh I have to say I felt much the same after DD2 was born last May. She's 11 months old and I'm still bf and love it - but doesn't it limit your wardrobe! What made me feel better was a bit of exercise - jogging with the pram. Just doing that kjnd of helped me over the rest.

RedPencilPot Tue 01-Apr-14 20:55:28

It took me a year to get back in shape after my baby but I'm not thinner than I was before getting pregnant! Was 9 stone 12 now 9 stone 5 and I haven't done anything, it just takes time!

RedPencilPot Tue 01-Apr-14 20:55:56

Now thinner

midnightmoomoo Tue 01-Apr-14 21:06:20

If it's any consolation, my youngest turned 6 (years!) today and I still feel crap!!!!!! I was OK after numbers one and two, but bless him, my hefalump of a third baby ruined my figure and I'm still waiting for the inclination to do something about it. What I find really upsetting when I stop and think about it is that before I had the kids I had an amazing figure but I didn't know it, I thought I was fat!!!! Stupid, stupid woman, how I kick myself now (or I would if I wasn't so out of shape!!)

bouquetofpencils Tue 01-Apr-14 21:18:40

I have 8mo Dd and after a restful Mother's Day/anniversary weekend I actually feel "normal" for the first time since pre pregnancy.
Last week I decided it was finally time to ditch the maternity bra's and try to get my mojo back.
It just takes a while, eight months for me.

MsFiremanSam Tue 01-Apr-14 21:32:45

I could cry reading this thread, thought it was just me!
Had DC2 7 months ago and feel utterly shite about myself. She's just started sleeping through so that helps, but still got a stone to lose and no matter what I do, the scales are sticking. Stopped breastfeeding just over a week ago so really hope it will start coming off now.
It took a good year after DC1 to get back to normal - but god it was hard work! How do people do it so quickly?? Woman at my son's nursery had her baby 10 days ago and you wouldn't even know she'd been pregnant - stomach flat as a pancake!
Getting new bras from Bravissimo has helped - but awaiting the arrival of the sad deflated pancakes any time now. Hair flat and falling out, stomach a disaster area and skin dry and spotty. About as from 'yummy mummy' as you can get really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now