Talk

Advanced search

urgent help needed re having my colours done tomorrow

(19 Posts)
LeapingOverTheWall Mon 31-Mar-14 20:57:12

Do I wear something I think suits me and risk finding out I actually haven't a clue, or do I pick something I know looks rubbish? I know they'll be lovely and not laugh at me, but I'm undecided.

DD2 (opinionated teen) says it would be better to be devastated at home by myself confusedgrin; DH says -unhelpfully-- wear whatever you like wearing.

What should i do?

billandcoo Mon 31-Mar-14 21:00:31

Agree with DH :-)

BeginnerSAHM Mon 31-Mar-14 21:02:57

Agree with your husband too - it doesn't matter! (And I've had mine 'done'. A few times - long story blush.)

Plumpysoft Mon 31-Mar-14 21:10:09

Wear what you like. I had it done in Nov and it has saved me so much money already!!

LeapingOverTheWall Mon 31-Mar-14 21:19:24

I'm really looking forward to it actually, I've stopped dyeing my hair so it will be really interesting to see what colours I should actually be wearing now. Plus I do very little that's just for me (for many very good reasons before anyone gets annoyed with me), so a few hours of making me look good is going to be fun.

Plus i get a shopping spree afterwards as well wink.

LeapingOverTheWall Mon 31-Mar-14 21:21:38

Dh is rubbish with my clothes - he hates everything I buy for about a year, then decides he does quite like it, so his suggestion was more a "go away, I'm watching football, and would prefer you stopped wittering at me" rather than " I love you and just want you to feel comfortable" wink

imustbepatient Mon 31-Mar-14 21:24:04

I'm getting mine done on 8th April and was wondering the same thing! And should I wear make up (which I do every day?)

LeapingOverTheWall Mon 31-Mar-14 21:25:51

my consultant has said don't wear makeup, but I read the blurb about another one locally who said do wear makeup as she wanted to see how you looked usually.

IceNoSlice Mon 31-Mar-14 21:36:42

How did you find the colour consultant? And how much do they charge?

LeapingOverTheWall Mon 31-Mar-14 21:46:49

I'm going to House of Colour which is £110. There's also Colour Me Beautiful which is "from £105" accordint to their website.

They are the two main ones, but I'm sure the S&B regulars will know more -- I only lurk here for help as I'm not in the least bit stylish--

LeapingOverTheWall Mon 31-Mar-14 21:47:20

nor can I manage strikeouts it would seem wink

QueenCadbury Mon 31-Mar-14 21:48:56

It doesn't really matter what you wear as you'll be covered up anyway for them to drape the swatches on you. hOC recommend not to wear make up. Have fun.

petalsandstars Mon 31-Mar-14 21:51:41

I had mine done on sat- clothes didn't matter as I was covered by a white cloth like the hairdresser type thing. No make up, mine put make up on me to get the right colours for my skin and it did look really good.

LeapingOverTheWall Mon 31-Mar-14 21:53:22

it's only the initial "walking in and saying hello and being judged for getting to 40 something and having no clue about stuff" bit that's slightly stressing me out, I don't want a bad first impression [shallow].

LeapingOverTheWall Mon 31-Mar-14 21:55:54

I'm really interested in the make up part as well, as I've never had a clue about makeup, and the makeup counter women in department stores are terrifying apart from the lovely Boots woman a while back who sorted out my foundation

This should be less scary.

QueenCadbury Mon 31-Mar-14 22:01:45

Try not to be scared or stressed. A good consultant won't judge you or make you feel bad. They're there to help you. Just try snd relax and enjoy it.

JohnCusacksWife Mon 31-Mar-14 22:11:29

Please report back and let us know how you get on. I've finally plucked up the courage to get my colours done and have booked....but there's a 2 mth waiting list!! Having swithered for so long I'm now frustrated about having to wait. Would be really interested to know what you make of it all....and if you agree with what they say!

LeapingOverTheWall Tue 01-Apr-14 15:29:21

well, the consultant was lovely, and it was all very stress free smile. I was wearing a top that I already knew wasn't bad but wasn't great, and she agreed with me. I'm an Autumn which surprised me a bit, but I do actually have some stuff in those colours already. Took the best part of an hour to diagnose me though, as it wasn't immediately obvious, although once it did click, then I could see it properly.

She wasn't pushy at all, I did buy some of the makeup, but I feel I needed that to give me starting point in Boots. I haven't booked a style day (probably won't) or a makeup day (might do).

We went through some of the Kettlewell catalogue, and marked out which of their colours were my best ones, talked a little bit about style and did some scarf tying - there wouldn't have been time for that if it hadn't just been me there though.

Very useful morning, a bit on the pricey side perhaps, but I did have three hours of one to one, so maybe not.

I've left the makeup on, so waiting to see what the DDs make of it when they get back from school grin.

LeapingOverTheWall Tue 01-Apr-14 15:30:53

Forgot to say, yes I do agree with the majority of it - not sure that bright orange is necessarily me, but it did lift my face. Am sad that black is no longer one of my staples though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now