Talk

Advanced search

Any advice to help a scar after an operation?

(9 Posts)
Tiredstilltired Mon 31-Mar-14 19:23:59

I'm having an operation next week which will leave a nasty scar. Any recommendations for scar cream/ minimising scar?
I don't want to look like Frankenstein sad

Greenoes Mon 31-Mar-14 19:34:26

We used bio-oil on DSS when he smashed his face on a table aged 11. He had sutures in his eyebrow but the skin on his nose was too delicate so was steristripped. When the steristrips came off and I removed the sutures (don't worry, I'm a nurse) we used bio-oil for 3 months morning and night. His eyebrow has a slight bald line running through it (looks quite cool) but you can't see any lasting damage on his nose smile

EatShitDerek Mon 31-Mar-14 19:35:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wannabestressfree Mon 31-Mar-14 19:52:43

I had an operation last year and have a scar from under my boobs to all the way down :/ I went into superdrug and they gave me vitamin e cream and although it's quite obvious it's not as red and angry

Theonlyoneiknow Mon 31-Mar-14 20:35:28

I have used viramin e oil from superdrug and it worked well. Two lots for £3 !

I also tested kelo-Cote gel for MN on my C Section scar and it worked well

Kundry Mon 31-Mar-14 20:58:50

Bio-oil has had a lots of publicity about working for scars and stretch marks but doesn't contain any active ingredients that are known to help (lots of people will think it worked when their scars probably just faded naturally)

The only thing proven to help reduce scarring are silicone gels and sheets like Kelo-Cote - you need to wait for the skin to heal and use them for at least 3 months every day.

Tiredstilltired Mon 31-Mar-14 21:12:01

Thanks all.
How long does it take for the scar to heal before I can use cream kundry
Does massage help at all? It will be on my lower tummy.

NNat Mon 31-Mar-14 21:31:10

Contractubex gel - it's medical gel to help with scars, won't get rid of it all together, but can improve substantially. It helped a lot my DS when he cut the area around his eye

whitecat Tue 01-Apr-14 09:20:58

Vitamin E is supposed to help fade scarring. Vitamin E capsules pierced with a pin rather than an oil containing vitamin E.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now