Talk

Advanced search

Dress for a wedding - what do you think of these?

(19 Posts)
DisappointedHorse Mon 31-Mar-14 19:03:56

Help! I have a special wedding to go soon, I need a dress and I'm going dress blind.

Do you think any of these are nice?

Grey Drape

Adore this but too pricy If anyone sees anything similar that's not black (bridesmaids are in black) feel free to link!

This in driftwood, too mumsy? I'm 40 but don't want to look it.

Or this but I'm not hugely tall.

I don't like spaghetti straps, low cut or much above the knee but I don't mind clingy. Budget is around £150 and generally prefer muted colours.

Thanks smile

EyelinerQueen Mon 31-Mar-14 19:06:36

Oooh the first one is gorgeous!

Like the Lind Bop one too but their quality is very hit and miss.

I don't like the Boden. It's far too frumpy.

Not mad on the DK one either, especially considering the price shock.

Hooleywhipper Mon 31-Mar-14 19:10:05

First one,grey drape is gorgeous

DisappointedHorse Mon 31-Mar-14 19:27:06

Thanks.

I do really like the grey one, I'm just a little concerned about the drapes drowning me. It also comes in red which is nice but I think I'd be happier with the grey and bright accessories.

Ruprekt Mon 31-Mar-14 19:30:11

Could you re link the grey one as I cannot open it.

Love the red but wonder if it might be a bit cheap in real life.

DisappointedHorse Mon 31-Mar-14 19:32:32

Grey - www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Untold+Dress+wrap+over/189688438,default,pd.html

DisappointedHorse Mon 31-Mar-14 19:34:16

I like This too.

mrssmith79 Mon 31-Mar-14 19:34:33

Love the first oner - very versatile.

Laska42 Mon 31-Mar-14 19:36:05

this? similar to your Donna Karan

this?

Laska42 Mon 31-Mar-14 19:37:08

Snap! disappointedhorse

SmileAndNod Mon 31-Mar-14 19:55:13

I've just ordered that exact dress disappointedhorse. In the ultramarine. I'm hoping it's not too bright, would prefer the midnight blue but seems to be sold out sad. Also have a special wedding to go to and having a dress nightmare!

WhatsTheWordHummingbird Mon 31-Mar-14 19:57:18

Could you hire the expensive one? Usually around £45 to hire.

DisappointedHorse Mon 31-Mar-14 20:05:18

grin Laska

I also like this but the colour is a bit out of my comfort zone.

I think I might have to order a few and see.

I didn't consider hiring Hummingbird. I might investigate.

Atlastadragon Mon 31-Mar-14 20:23:15

I have just got the slinky knot dress in burgundy, and it is beautiful! I am really pleased with it.

SmileAndNod Tue 01-Apr-14 09:54:30

That's good to know atlastadragon. Worried it may not suit my fat frumpy post natal self though.

Does anyone know of any good dress hire websites?

Puddles1234 Tue 01-Apr-14 11:46:00

Do not buy the Donna Karan dress for a wedding I have it and I wear it for daytime wear with stiletto pumps and it's neither here nor there in terms of quality.

I think the other dresses you posted are better.

dozily Tue 01-Apr-14 12:50:07

I love the Oasis dress you linked to (although admittedly is far from being a muted colour!)

Oxtailchambermaid Tue 01-Apr-14 16:26:34

smileandnod I went to a flasher-than-average wedding last weekend and hired a Temperley dress from wishwantwear.com - so pleased with it. Someone I didn't know made by day by telling me they could tell it was designer from across the room. I paid just over 50 gbp including the 2 way postage which arguably isn't cheap given you have to hand it back - but then again I have at least 3 dresses in my wardrobe that I've bought specifically for a wedding never to be worn again (and cost a fair bit more than 50gbp).

superzero Tue 01-Apr-14 16:44:36

First grey dress is lovely.I've got a very similar grey one,was Jasper Conran for Debenhams Grecian style from about 2010 and is really flattering,you might pick one up on ebay now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now