Talk

Advanced search

DD's graduation - please help!

(5 Posts)
Onwhitehorses Mon 31-Mar-14 11:25:34

Will be going to one, possibly two, graduations this summer (depending on whether DSS is able to get a 3rd ticket for his).

I've no idea what to wear at all - I'm a 14, tall, hourglass shape, blonde shortish hair. in terms of colours, am fair skinned and a bit freckly: navy, coral, pewter, soft tourquoise, pale blue, light browns and greys all seem to suit me OK.

Was wondering about a dress like this:

Boden's site is down so cant link to it for a bigger picture, but it has some pleats around neck and is fitted under the bust. Is it OK with either a cardi or a jacket? Or could you suggest some lovely alternatives for me please?

JohnCusacksWife Mon 31-Mar-14 12:47:38

Dress looks lovely. I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much - anything smart will do. Some people come to graduations done up as if they're going to a wedding, hats and all. They stick out like a sore thumb......

Onwhitehorses Mon 31-Mar-14 13:08:12

Thanks for the advice JohnCsWife, I didnt have the faintest idea what would be OK and dont want to wear anything that will make me stick out or embarrass the DCs grin

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Mon 31-Mar-14 13:14:44

I go to 10 graduation ceremonies a year (I work at a University) - that dress is lovely and would be perfect - either with a jacket or a cardi.

As JCW said - you get all sorts - Mother of the Bride type outfits complete with hat all the way through to jumble sale ensembles.

Think about comfort - there's a lot of waiting around / sitting in potentially cramped seats etc - and also photos. You will be photographed with a graduate wearing a black gown (probably, unless it's a postgraduate degree which can be different colours) so I would avoid navy.

Onwhitehorses Mon 31-Mar-14 15:27:12

Thank you Unexpected (great name by the way). Sorted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now