Talk

Advanced search

Crystal Nail Files

(11 Posts)
onemorerose Sun 30-Mar-14 23:55:02

Which is the best? I had an OPI, loved it but it broke. Was going to get another one but Leighton Denny have much better ratings. Has anyone tried both?

southeastastra Sun 30-Mar-14 23:56:57

have a leighton denny one which has lasted and is a good as they say!

nails don't peel anymore. recommend

onemorerose Mon 31-Mar-14 00:28:43

Thanks for the input south, they are a bit more expensive on amazon but if I needed to know if its worth it.

Pizdets Mon 31-Mar-14 07:43:10

I have a Leighton Denny and a generic one I picked up cheap in t k maxx. Beyond the fact the cheap one looks a bit pink and sparkly for my taste I can't tell the difference. I'm not a nail pro by any means but the results look the same to me. Had both a couple of years now and would never go back to disposable files!

Bohemond Mon 31-Mar-14 07:53:36

I found these killed my nails - splitting the works. Was a Leighton Denny one from M&S

WingDefence Mon 31-Mar-14 07:58:27

I bought a cheap crystal file about 9 years ago in Camden market and I'd never seen one before. It's been dropped a few times over the years so isn't full length any more but is still the best nail file I own.

Other versions have never done the job at all (Claire's Accessories one barely filed my nails) but I should get a replacement so I'll look into the ones mentioned here.

Thanks thanks

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 31-Mar-14 08:04:38

Cheap ones area the same as expensive ime.

BelindaAllWorkedOut Mon 31-Mar-14 09:54:23

I bought cheap ones and found them a poor substitute for a good crystal nail file - they weren't as finely "granulated"? Also, they wore out along the sides quickly. Maybe they were glass instead of crystal?

Anyway, the best ones I have bought are Manicare (in Australia) and Leighton Denny (in UK).

Jaeme Mon 31-Mar-14 10:04:57

I've had a Leighton Denny one for a few years now, I second what was said above about cheap ones not being as good.

A couple of the cheaper ones I tried were so bad they didn't feel like they were doing anything, had to press quite hard with it and the finish wasn't as good.

Re peeling / splitting I think this is also down to how you file, going from left to centre or right to centre in one direction rather than 'sawing' will help stop it.

WingDefence Mon 31-Mar-14 14:00:04

Having found a LD file on Amazon, I don't think my original file from Camden market was that cheap - it was a long time ago and was probably £6ish as I doubt I'd have spent more than that.

Going to buy a LD one now as I do desperately need another one. My original file still does the job without very much pressure on the nail at all. I hope this one is just as good!

onemorerose Tue 01-Apr-14 22:34:20

I have had cheap ones before that were rubbish, maybe they were just glass.
Seems like it may be worth forking out the extra for Leighton Denny?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now