Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Find me a flattering frock please

(17 Posts)
Liveinthepresent Sun 30-Mar-14 20:13:19

My DS is being christened next month. We are having an informal party after and will be having some pictures taken.i feel frumpy and wobbly as have not lost the weight yet.
I am a 14 - big bum and wobbly tum - used to describe myself as pear shaped but actually my waist has disappeared and my boobs are bigger now and am still BF.
Am willing to spend £150 ish as long as it will be worn again.
Have looked everywhere online and tried a few already but nothing works the magic needed.

any ideas please?

cerealqueen Sun 30-Mar-14 21:24:55

Some sort of scaffolding underwear as a necessity, am sure the frock ladies will be along to help you.

What do you like to show off / hide, what length? what are good colours on you?

Liveinthepresent Sun 30-Mar-14 21:40:56

Thanks for reply. My op was a bit useless - am feeling ill !
I have dark hair and suit bold colours. Don't want to look too formal - but my default is classic / conservative so I have to fight against that temptation.
Ideally not above the knee - though lots of that in the shops at the moment.
Sleeves would be a bonus.
I know phase eight gets recommended a lot on here but I look frumpy in their stuff.
My traditional 'go to ' would probably have been LK Bennett - but nothing there strikes the right note at the moment.

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 30-Mar-14 21:45:38

Do you need separates if you are BF?

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 30-Mar-14 21:47:23

How about this

ViviDeBeauvoir Sun 30-Mar-14 21:53:46

Have you tried baukjen?
I bought this in a couple of colours when DC3 was a few months old.
It's thickish jersey and holds everything in well plus I can get a boob out of it if needs be!
Because it's ruched you can make it longer/shorter according to your preference and it can be dressed up or down.

Liveinthepresent Sun 30-Mar-14 22:19:43

Thanks - like these suggestions - cos scares me I can never believe their things would look good on any not super slim!
Baukjen - yes good call I buy lots from there, think I returned that very dress but can't really remember why.
Think I fancied a pattern for this event but maybe that's not a good idea.
No need for separates I probably won't need to feed DS he will be about 10 months so eating well!

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 30-Mar-14 22:40:05

I think you'd get a lot of use from this dress

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 30-Mar-14 22:41:12

Bolder pattern but maybe too dark?

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 30-Mar-14 22:42:45

Smart but comfortable

FamiliesShareGerms Sun 30-Mar-14 22:43:52

Give you a waist?

Mrswellyboot Sun 30-Mar-14 22:44:23

I would try monsoon and go instore and try on yourself as you might be surprised. I have been lucky there-just after baby too

Lots of flattering stuff at the moment and I saw a lovely white lace cardi that would dress things down

Agree with really good underwear and maybe a nicel light spray tan and blow dry smile

cerealqueen Sun 30-Mar-14 22:49:20

love

this too

pricey

my fave

Chewbecca Sun 30-Mar-14 22:53:12

I love pied a terre slinky knot dress, it gives a great shape to wobbly bits yet is comfy. It's reduced now too and comes in several colours, the green might be nice for a christening.

Liveinthepresent Mon 31-Mar-14 13:45:48

Thank you everyone - I appreciate the ideas. I actually like most of these. Several of them I have looked at already on my house of Fraser trawl.

Love the pied a terre knot dress Chewbacca though I was worried it was too formal.
Same with the Eliza J ones ceralqueen - am not familiar with the brand so wasn't sure if they would look OTT ( quite a few reviews talk about buying for weddings)
Also been looking at the Damsel in a dress ones - I really like the Floris ones - but would need to see how flattering that shape would be on curves. Love your user name too familiessharegerms seemed very appropriate last night as I was suffering from a bug DS had kindly passed my way!
To be honest I think my mission would be simple if I could get to a HOfF store but I don't think I can get the necessary number of hours off duty!
More ideas welcome and I may place a large order to try lots on.

blueshoes Mon 31-Mar-14 14:05:54

Do you need to breast feed in it?

Liveinthepresent Mon 31-Mar-14 14:12:59

No blue shoes I won't need to feed - DS is 9 months so will have some lunch and is happy with a bottle so will probably do that if needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now