Talk

Advanced search

Ridiculous shop sizing

(6 Posts)
EarSlaps Sun 30-Mar-14 19:54:47

I know this has been done before, but clothes sizes are getting absolutely bonkers. Vanity sizing has gone crazy.

I've lost weight so I'm slim but not petite or skinny (28in waist, 36in hips). I should probably be about a 10.

In Next an 8 trouser hangs off me but I can't get a 6 past my bum hmm, FatFace the size 8 trousers were too small but the jeans had plenty of room, the size 8 tops are good but the coats are too small. Gap jeans I need a 25 (a size 7) and the size 8 shorts I got fall down they are so big. Size 10 in Coast. In H&M I have a pair of size 10 jeans that are great, but I couldn't squeeze into a size 10 jacket.

It makes shopping harder than it needs to be- shopping online will need lots of returns, you need to take loads into a changing room to try different things in different sizes. Then they have a maximum 4 items in the changing room policy and no bugger about to swap sizes for you if you need it.

I just wish they would be consistent, at least within a shop.

JapaneseMargaret Sun 30-Mar-14 19:57:36

Yeah, it is frustrating - it's so arbitrary these days.

Men have it easy. If they're a 32 inch waist, they buy a 32 inch trouser. Job done. I'm not sure why it's not the same with women.

Men also tend to get different leg lengths, which I'd also love the option of in more shops.

Iatemyskinnyperson Sun 30-Mar-14 20:19:29

It's mental. I'm wearing jeans from next in sz 12. NO WAY am I a sz12. Agree, it makes things more complicated & it's totally deceiving.

EarSlaps Sun 30-Mar-14 20:34:18

I found this article. So I would have been a 12-14 in the 1970s, and the very slim petite people would have been a size 10 or so and probably more able to find clothes that fitted. I'm guessing sizes 8 and 6 are getting more common- I don't remember there being size 6 back in the 1990s when I was a skinny teen.

Sicaq Sun 30-Mar-14 22:35:51

I've always been similar in size; 35 inch hips and 26 waist. In the 80s I was a ten; now more often an 8 but still a 10 in some places.

50ShadesOfMaybe Mon 31-Mar-14 06:13:26

I know! I was trying stuff on on Saturday and had to keep sending DH to get smaller sizes. I haven't lost weight.

Mind you, DH says that it's getting that way for men, EarSlaps. He's always been the said 32" waist but now finds that these are too big in some shops and has to size down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now