Talk

Advanced search

Classic necklace for 21st

(28 Posts)
WeAllHaveWings Sat 29-Mar-14 21:57:58

What do you think of this necklace for nieces 21st?

Open to any ideas, budget up to £200 (can use tesco club card at goldsmiths to bring price of linked necklace down, but doesn't need to be from goldsmiths)

She's had a hard time of it the last 5 years and want to get her something really nice she can keep.

Maverick66 Sat 29-Mar-14 23:51:05

I think it's gorgeous. My own daughter turned 21 this year and her Godmother bought her something very similar in silver. My daughter actually picked it herself smile

bettybigballs Sat 29-Mar-14 23:56:40

That is really lovely. I love Alex Monroe necklaces, really beautiful and very memorable. Or a Tiffany heart is a another classic

OldRoan Sun 30-Mar-14 00:02:11

Links have some nice ones, and 15% off if you sign up for their mailing list. Diamond Essential Heart pendant is similar to your one.

I think the linked one is beautiful though.

ChishandFips33 Sun 30-Mar-14 00:23:40

Hairy Growler

Love this site. Have a few pieces from him and the attention to detail is fab, even the packaging. You can ask for a bespoke piece if she has a favoured animal/theme etc. They have vouchers too

MrsMarigold Sun 30-Mar-14 11:53:39

I think Notonthehighstreet is best for this sort of thing.

AnaisB Sun 30-Mar-14 12:28:31

I've had bad customer service from Goldsmiths, and I think they are poor value for money. I also don't like heart jewellery. (I promise I'm not normally this negative.) I wouldn't mind a Tiffany heart as it feels more classic

I agree with Betty that there are some lovely Alex Monroe necklaces.

Cerisier Sun 30-Mar-14 12:58:02

I think anything from Tiffany's would go down well, or Cartier if you want to spend a bit more. Tiffany's prices are not too bad if you stick to silver.

CountBapula Sun 30-Mar-14 13:17:10

I have this in silver from Alex Monroe. It's classic but a bit unusual at the same time. I love it.

Onelittlepiglet Sun 30-Mar-14 13:24:19

I second the Alex Monroe suggestion - beautiful necklaces (and other items) in either silver or gold. They are modern yet classic.

all necklaces (ignore the v expensive letter ones in the first page!)

This hummingbird is lovely

Or the lovely bumblebee.

He also does lockers like this one here

missmartha Sun 30-Mar-14 13:35:17

Beaumaris do some wonderful pieces and will make to commission, they are not £££ either.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beaumaris-Jewellery-Studio/262287073785031

Love Hairy Growler btw, thanks.

Onesleeptillwembley Sun 30-Mar-14 13:37:57

That's very nice, but very overpriced for what it is.

sunnyfriday Sun 30-Mar-14 15:25:33

does she wear gold? I was given an expensive gold necklace on a special occasion when I was younger.

As i don't wear gold at all (only silver) i never wore it :-/

Saurus72 Sun 30-Mar-14 15:34:37

It's OK, but then I don't wear gold, ever. Do you know that she does? Like other people have mentioned, I love Alex Monroe - gorgeous, a bit quirky but beautifully made. I have quite a few pieces of 'good' jewellery, and I get most compliments about my Alex Monroe pieces. My favourite is the silver baby bee. What a nice aunt you are!

HermioneWeasley Sun 30-Mar-14 17:31:10

Lovely idea

The one in you OP seems v expensive for 9ct gold.

I'd suggest something silver from tiffanys, or links, or another good jeweller. Personally, I think it's hard to beat a turquoise box. Liberty have a beautiful jewellery room with lots of unusual items and not too expensive.

If you,re going abroad before then you might be able to get better value gold, or something duty free?

sunnyfriday Sun 30-Mar-14 17:43:55

the necklace you linked is ok but a bit on the safe/boring side. I would look for something more quirky :-)

OuterFromOutersville Sun 30-Mar-14 19:52:50

Just to say that I think an Alex Monroe necklace would be a lovely gift. I also have the baby silver bumble bee and love it. Do you know whether your niece prefers gold or silver jewellery? (I only wear silver.)

rootypig Sun 30-Mar-14 19:56:55

I have bought people Alex Monroe as gifts, but I must say, for a 21st, I love the one you linked to. Go for it! and lucky girl.

MrsDavidBowie Sun 30-Mar-14 19:58:45

I don't like it, sorry.
But then I don't like yellow gold or the chain on it.

Smartiepants79 Sun 30-Mar-14 20:03:04

Personally for a girl her age I would go for the Alex Monroe stuff. Lovely, classic but with a modern twist.

Smartiepants79 Sun 30-Mar-14 21:03:01

This one
www.alexmonroe.com/shop/posy-flower-heart-locket
Is similar to what you chose but a bit more interesting.

rootypig Sun 30-Mar-14 21:06:59

Note of dissent: I think Alex Monroe is already dating.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 30-Mar-14 22:45:17

Thanks for all the links, have been looking at them all

I like some of the alexmunroe but think its too quirky for her, i like this tiffany one, but seems expensive for just silver.

Doearwigsmakechutney Sun 30-Mar-14 23:29:06

You can get 20% off at Alex Monroe with Marie Claire this month. I think the code is just 'Marie Claire'. Google to check, as I can't link on phone. I love his stuff

I think I would go for tiffany too. I totally get what you mean about expensive for silver but it will feel very special for her imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now