Talk

Advanced search

Make-up and skincare decluttering amnesty

(8 Posts)
billandcoo Sat 29-Mar-14 20:16:56

If you could just toss without guilt, would you keep half your stash?

Recently I decluttered my make-up and skincare stuff without guilt and tossed about 75% of it.

I tossed a selection of foundations that just didn't work and loads of skincare that I was going to 'use up' but decided I wouldn't and it just made me feel bad.

I kept two cleansers, eye make up remover, facial oil, moisturiser, sunscreen and Alpha H liquid gold plus a hydrating mask. Everthing else got tossed including my own body weight in various samples and GWP's that just take up space.

Make up all got tossed except two foundations, loose powder, blush, 4 lipsticks, mascara and two eyeliners.

I feel strangely liberated grin

QuinnFabray Sat 29-Mar-14 21:07:14

I don't toss. I give it to friends so it clutters up their drawers instead. Or my friends' teenage daughters. They're always delighted to receive free makeup. And then I don't feel guilty.

Coumarin Sat 29-Mar-14 22:27:20

I recently started a whole house de-clutter. The hardest room was my dressing room as the unwanted clothes and unused make up gave me the guilt.

I tossed things like foundations and powders as they'd been open a long time and gave some blushers and lipsticks, that were barely used, to my niece. The rest I've started to rotate so I'm using everything up.

I think I've found my 'holy grail' make up and skin care products now, so apart from lipsticks and glosses, I shouldn't have any need to go wandering around the make up department spending stupid money on things that I won't get proper use out of.

All the money I spent! <faints>

Coumarin Sat 29-Mar-14 22:28:46

But yes, now it's done, along with the huge clothes de clutter (clothing bank), it does feel liberating. I've kept quite a lot but it's all things I really like and will use.

My wardrobe is very sparse now though. Feels oddly good.

billandcoo Sun 30-Mar-14 13:25:24

I felt just the same coumarin! All that waste - I avoid makeup counters now too.

Nice idea Quinn!
'

chanie44 Sun 30-Mar-14 14:25:54

I did a decluttering a few years ago. I used up all of the products I had accumulated over the years - some I enjoyed using, others not so much.

Now, I only buy products I like and I use up old products before buying new ones.

namechangenumber5 Sun 30-Mar-14 15:11:04

I regularly declutter so I don't tend to get great build ups. I must say though that guilt made me keep a mac foundation that I didn't like because of the smell. I kept it because of the cost. I made myself use it when my previous bottle ended. I have just come to the end of it and feel a bit proud of myself!

i poured all my bad choice of colour foundations into one big pot and mixed, rather a fab result actually that i wear for work

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now