Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Opinions, please, on this for a (special) mid-June evening engagement party

(50 Posts)
polyhymnia Sat 29-Mar-14 18:05:14

So sorry to those who've already commented, but a couple of weeks ago I asked for opinions on this dress, though I didn't have a good picture of it.

Now have one:
www.drapiere.com/Kiss-me-Quick-Black-Turquoise-Oriental-Silk-Empire-Line-Dress-Plus-size-Fahion-Brial-Wedding-Mother-of-the-Bride-sale-407

The occasion is my DS's engagement party, so special. It's going to be held in a posh London members' club in Mayfair - bubbles and canapés, etc, in early June.

I've actually tried this on - though not in my size - they'll do one specially to my measurements. I like it but my main reservation is whether the black is quite right for a June evening.

Views, please, if you're patient enough. TIA.

polyhymnia Sat 29-Mar-14 18:06:31

PS - apologies for the name of the dress - not my choice!

polyhymnia Sat 29-Mar-14 18:08:29

PPS I'm a tall, large, blonde hourglass with good legs.

DracoMalfoysHairGel Sat 29-Mar-14 18:28:49

Going to be honest here and say I don't like it . Really sorry . I think it's the length makes it appear very frumpy . What size are you ? Then maybe we can suggest something .

Mind you - if you love it then go for it .

Hadmeathello Sat 29-Mar-14 18:31:50

I'm really sorry but I don't like it either. I agree it's quite frumpy. I'm sure with an hourglass figure you could get something more flattering.

PotteringAlong Sat 29-Mar-14 18:32:07

I'm with draco here. I'm not keen

BUT if you love it then I think black in itself is fine.

HappyGirlNow Sat 29-Mar-14 18:32:31

Sorry I also think it's frumpy.. Maybe something a little shorter and more fitted?

But as draco said, it's you that's wearing it so if you feel good in it great..

EyelinerQueen Sat 29-Mar-14 18:33:32

Is it not navy? <<squints>>

Either way I really dislike it. It's very cheap and shiny looking and a bit circus tent-y in general.

I think you could do a lot better.

RayPurchase Sat 29-Mar-14 18:40:41

I think this would look awesome on an hourglass...

RayPurchase Sat 29-Mar-14 18:41:42

As would this

TheseAreTheJokesFolks Sat 29-Mar-14 18:44:42

Well l like it but think it is overpriced xx

LoveVintage Sat 29-Mar-14 18:45:28

I think if you are prepared to spend that much on a dress, you could get one that is much nicer. There is something about that one that doesn't quite work.

Sharingeverything Sat 29-Mar-14 18:46:54

How old are you OP because unless its over 70 that is one frumpy dress. For £269 you could do so much better, what size are you?

MsAspreyDiamonds Sat 29-Mar-14 18:47:21

m-uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.2/5532316206

TheseAreTheJokesFolks Sat 29-Mar-14 18:48:10

That's the same link but lovely...very Jerry hall
I liked the floral of the other though as summery but black slimming
Red is a bit upstage the fiancee?

TSSDNCOP Sat 29-Mar-14 18:50:12

Try this looks fantastic on an hour glass figure.

Twistiesandshout Sat 29-Mar-14 18:51:33

I think if you love that store and that style and wanted colour why not try

www.drapiere.com/Lucsious-Thoughts-of-Love-Red-Blue-Paisley-Italian-Silk-Empire-Line-Dress-Plus-size-Fashion-Bridal-Wedding-Mother-of-the-Bride-sale-408
Or
www.drapiere.com/Bird-Song-Black-Oriental-Print-Wrap-Dress-Plus-size-Fashion-Bridal-Wedding-Mother-of-the-Bride-sale-401

Or

www.drapiere.com/Fan-Tutte-Black-Floral-Italian-Silk-Wrap-Dress-Plus-size-Fahion-Bridal-Wedding-Mother-of-the-Bride-sale-402

EyelinerQueen Sat 29-Mar-14 18:51:49

<<howls at TSS's link>> grin grin grin

Sorry OP, not helpful blush .

Nancy66 Sat 29-Mar-14 18:53:21

no, sorry, really don't like it. Very fussy and frumpy and - 100% silk - that will be a complete sweat fest.

The Vivienne Westwood dress is good suggestion. Nigella wears a lot of VW and sounds like you have similar figure

polyhymnia Sat 29-Mar-14 18:54:00

Thanks - don't worry I haven't got my heart set on it!
It is black in fact though agree looks bluish in pic. Did have doubts about its shininess.

Length in itself no problem - I wouldn't order it that length as agree it's too long. But it sounds like people's feelings it's frumpy aren't just about length.

Love VW ( though not the red as doesn't suit me) but alas am too big for her dresses.

Open to suggestions - though not for cheap lines ( eg Simply Be) or Anna Scholz,which I hate.

Answer might be to get this sort of style of dress made up in non-shiny fabric of my choice, shorter length and possibly scoop not square neckline.

polyhymnia Sat 29-Mar-14 18:58:27

Or indeed look at shorter version of one of the other styles such as those you posted - not sure if as serious suggestions or because of their laughable names, which I totally agree are cringe-making!

Sharingeverything Sat 29-Mar-14 18:58:48

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Persona+Short+sleeved+printed+silk+dress/196883984,default,pd.html, maybe this? Totally different to the dress in the OP I know.

Sharingeverything Sat 29-Mar-14 19:01:23

www.johnlewis.com/alexon-lace-trim-jersey-dress-blue/p1315340 this?

Wishiwashelenmirren Sat 29-Mar-14 19:06:34

So sorry PH another one not a fan. Might I suggest This instead? There are other colour ways and sleeve combinations if you preferred.

Sharingeverything Sat 29-Mar-14 19:08:13

www.johnlewis.com/gina-bacconi-pin-tuck-jersey-dress-autumn-blue/p1239131
www.johnlewis.com/jaeger-lace-and-crepe-dress-jade/p1139875
www.johnlewis.com/gina-bacconi-jersey-dress-turquoise/p1123257
www.johnlewis.com/chesca-striped-sheer-lace-dress-black/p758042

Any of these?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: