Talk

Advanced search

Opinions, please, on this for a (special) mid-June evening engagement party

(50 Posts)
polyhymnia Sat 29-Mar-14 18:05:14

So sorry to those who've already commented, but a couple of weeks ago I asked for opinions on this dress, though I didn't have a good picture of it.

Now have one:
www.drapiere.com/Kiss-me-Quick-Black-Turquoise-Oriental-Silk-Empire-Line-Dress-Plus-size-Fahion-Brial-Wedding-Mother-of-the-Bride-sale-407

The occasion is my DS's engagement party, so special. It's going to be held in a posh London members' club in Mayfair - bubbles and canapés, etc, in early June.

I've actually tried this on - though not in my size - they'll do one specially to my measurements. I like it but my main reservation is whether the black is quite right for a June evening.

Views, please, if you're patient enough. TIA.

polyhymnia Sat 29-Mar-14 18:06:31

PS - apologies for the name of the dress - not my choice!

polyhymnia Sat 29-Mar-14 18:08:29

PPS I'm a tall, large, blonde hourglass with good legs.

DracoMalfoysHairGel Sat 29-Mar-14 18:28:49

Going to be honest here and say I don't like it . Really sorry . I think it's the length makes it appear very frumpy . What size are you ? Then maybe we can suggest something .

Mind you - if you love it then go for it .

Hadmeathello Sat 29-Mar-14 18:31:50

I'm really sorry but I don't like it either. I agree it's quite frumpy. I'm sure with an hourglass figure you could get something more flattering.

PotteringAlong Sat 29-Mar-14 18:32:07

I'm with draco here. I'm not keen

BUT if you love it then I think black in itself is fine.

HappyGirlNow Sat 29-Mar-14 18:32:31

Sorry I also think it's frumpy.. Maybe something a little shorter and more fitted?

But as draco said, it's you that's wearing it so if you feel good in it great..

EyelinerQueen Sat 29-Mar-14 18:33:32

Is it not navy? <<squints>>

Either way I really dislike it. It's very cheap and shiny looking and a bit circus tent-y in general.

I think you could do a lot better.

RayPurchase Sat 29-Mar-14 18:40:41

I think this would look awesome on an hourglass...

RayPurchase Sat 29-Mar-14 18:41:42

As would this

TheseAreTheJokesFolks Sat 29-Mar-14 18:44:42

Well l like it but think it is overpriced xx

LoveVintage Sat 29-Mar-14 18:45:28

I think if you are prepared to spend that much on a dress, you could get one that is much nicer. There is something about that one that doesn't quite work.

Sharingeverything Sat 29-Mar-14 18:46:54

How old are you OP because unless its over 70 that is one frumpy dress. For £269 you could do so much better, what size are you?

MsAspreyDiamonds Sat 29-Mar-14 18:47:21

m-uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.2/5532316206

TheseAreTheJokesFolks Sat 29-Mar-14 18:48:10

That's the same link but lovely...very Jerry hall
I liked the floral of the other though as summery but black slimming
Red is a bit upstage the fiancee?

TSSDNCOP Sat 29-Mar-14 18:50:12

Try this looks fantastic on an hour glass figure.

Twistiesandshout Sat 29-Mar-14 18:51:33

I think if you love that store and that style and wanted colour why not try

www.drapiere.com/Lucsious-Thoughts-of-Love-Red-Blue-Paisley-Italian-Silk-Empire-Line-Dress-Plus-size-Fashion-Bridal-Wedding-Mother-of-the-Bride-sale-408
Or
www.drapiere.com/Bird-Song-Black-Oriental-Print-Wrap-Dress-Plus-size-Fashion-Bridal-Wedding-Mother-of-the-Bride-sale-401

Or

www.drapiere.com/Fan-Tutte-Black-Floral-Italian-Silk-Wrap-Dress-Plus-size-Fahion-Bridal-Wedding-Mother-of-the-Bride-sale-402

EyelinerQueen Sat 29-Mar-14 18:51:49

<<howls at TSS's link>> grin grin grin

Sorry OP, not helpful blush .

Nancy66 Sat 29-Mar-14 18:53:21

no, sorry, really don't like it. Very fussy and frumpy and - 100% silk - that will be a complete sweat fest.

The Vivienne Westwood dress is good suggestion. Nigella wears a lot of VW and sounds like you have similar figure

polyhymnia Sat 29-Mar-14 18:54:00

Thanks - don't worry I haven't got my heart set on it!
It is black in fact though agree looks bluish in pic. Did have doubts about its shininess.

Length in itself no problem - I wouldn't order it that length as agree it's too long. But it sounds like people's feelings it's frumpy aren't just about length.

Love VW ( though not the red as doesn't suit me) but alas am too big for her dresses.

Open to suggestions - though not for cheap lines ( eg Simply Be) or Anna Scholz,which I hate.

Answer might be to get this sort of style of dress made up in non-shiny fabric of my choice, shorter length and possibly scoop not square neckline.

polyhymnia Sat 29-Mar-14 18:58:27

Or indeed look at shorter version of one of the other styles such as those you posted - not sure if as serious suggestions or because of their laughable names, which I totally agree are cringe-making!

Sharingeverything Sat 29-Mar-14 18:58:48

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Persona+Short+sleeved+printed+silk+dress/196883984,default,pd.html, maybe this? Totally different to the dress in the OP I know.

Sharingeverything Sat 29-Mar-14 19:01:23

www.johnlewis.com/alexon-lace-trim-jersey-dress-blue/p1315340 this?

Wishiwashelenmirren Sat 29-Mar-14 19:06:34

So sorry PH another one not a fan. Might I suggest This instead? There are other colour ways and sleeve combinations if you preferred.

Sharingeverything Sat 29-Mar-14 19:08:13

www.johnlewis.com/gina-bacconi-pin-tuck-jersey-dress-autumn-blue/p1239131
www.johnlewis.com/jaeger-lace-and-crepe-dress-jade/p1139875
www.johnlewis.com/gina-bacconi-jersey-dress-turquoise/p1123257
www.johnlewis.com/chesca-striped-sheer-lace-dress-black/p758042

Any of these?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now