Talk

Advanced search

Wedding Makeup

(9 Posts)
JessieMcJessie Sat 29-Mar-14 03:34:43

I am getting married in June and have been thinking about makeup- I am not great at applying or choosing it and for work I just go for very basic foundation, concealer, mascara and lipstick. I never wear eyeshadow or liner as I have oily lids and hooded eyes and always seem to look like I have been punched in the face.

Would obviously love proper and of course long-lasting makeup for the day. Problem is that the wedding is in a fairly rural place with no local makeup artists and I can't find one yet who will travel. (I have a hairdresser but she doesn't do makeup). So I was planning to go to a beauty counter in a big dept store, ask them to do me up and then just buy all the products and practise, practise practise.

The problem is that doing it that way will limit me to one brand only, which is a shame. Does anyone have any tips or ideas? What did you do for your wedding makeup?

whattodoforthebest2 Sat 29-Mar-14 04:03:11

I recommend bobbi brown for a makeup lesson - they'll give you a list of the products they use. You could just buy a couple of the items they use, look at other brands afterwards for alternatives and go back and buy theirs if you don't find anything else you prefer. That'll give you a chance to buy some bits and pieces elsewhere to play/practice with too.

Crutchlow35 Sat 29-Mar-14 08:28:00

I'd try bobbi brown too but stay well clear of YSL touché éclat if you walk past their counter and the product is offered. It looks dreadful in photos.

Crutchlow35 Sat 29-Mar-14 08:28:21

Or how about a make up lesson with a make up artist that is local to you?

CountBapula Sat 29-Mar-14 08:32:09

Have a look on YouTube - the make-up artist Lisa Eldridge has three or four bridal/wedding tutorials, like this one, for example. Might give you some ideas for products and techniques to use.

eurochick Sat 29-Mar-14 08:36:24

I did my own make up. In the run up to the wedding I visited make up counters and got them to demonstrate their products and teach me how to best apply them. I ended up spending around £100 on new products and brushes, which is as much as getting my make up done would have cost, but I got what I wanted (my make up trial was awful - she plastered it on and I looked like a hooker!) and the products lasted for ages afterwards. I was very happy that I did it that way.

Bobbi Brown was good as a lot of their products are in quite neutral colours (which is what most people want for a wedding) and they wear well. But I bought from several places.

JessieMcJessie Sat 29-Mar-14 11:47:01

Thanks all. It looks like Bobbi Brown might be the way forward. I use her BB cream at the moment and I do like it. The Jo Eldridge vids are good too, maybe that in combination with a consultation to get the colours and formulations right is the way to go. I actually live in Hong Kong, though am getting married in the UK, and was planning to have the consultation on a flying visit to London in May. They do have Bobbi Brown and all the big brands here but the salesgirls are more used to Asian skin and communication might be more difficult. They are also outrageously pushy!

JessieMcJessie Sat 29-Mar-14 11:48:03

Sorry, Lisa Eldridge. I think Jo Eldridge may be the editor of Red or something!

Trooperslane Sat 29-Mar-14 11:48:11

I loved MAC

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now