Talk

Advanced search

Alopecia

(4 Posts)
TheLastNameLeft Fri 28-Mar-14 16:05:00

Evil bloody thing. Ive had it on about three occasions in my life now, usually due to experiencing extreme periods of stress. The first time I had it I literally had bald patches all over my head and couldnt go out without a headscarf on. The second time I had one or two smaller patches that were easy enough to cover up and grew back quickly.

This time though, I am experiencing my hair literally snapping off, one or two inches from the scalp, this has resulted in my hair thinning a hell of a lot since November last year. I had to get it cut to shoulder length as it just looked awful long. No body to it at all. I wear it up in a pony tail or clipped back all of the time.

I'm glad in one way that I dont have the bald patches this time round but is there anything I can use/take that anyone knows of to help slow this down or (preferably) prevent it going on?

As an aside I started taking citalopram late January/early February. Hair loss is one of the noted side effects and I will be mentioning this to my GP when I see her tomorrow but I am fishing among the pool of MN knowledge to see if there is anything out there that can help me.

Many thanks in advance smile

FluffyDucky Fri 28-Mar-14 16:36:11

I've never bothered with anything for my alopecia. I take iron tablets but that's because it's on the low side and we are trying for a baby. I don't think really there is anything that will help.
It bloody sucks arse and in some ways in glad I have no hair, I just stick a bandana on and go! It dies save time in the morning lol

TheLastNameLeft Fri 28-Mar-14 16:46:11

Thanks Fluffy, I have been toying with the idea of cutting my hair really short recently but I dont think it will suit me (and I know DH would hate it) but as it seems to be just snapping off not far from the root recently I have no idea how horrible my hair is going to end up being after all this

FluffyDucky Sat 29-Mar-14 12:11:31

I know what you mean, it feels like you are giving in to it! I remember one night after having my hair cut short, I sat at the table and was able to just gently tug out hand fulls of hair. That wad the last time I had a head full.
I'm glad my hair was short though, feeling longs bits wrap around your fingers add you wash is very depressing.
Husband just shaves my head now, it is quite liberating. But be prepared for 'the look' where people think you have cancer..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now