Talk

Advanced search

Issa silk jersey wrap dress - ever handwashed one?

(5 Posts)
cowsarescary Fri 28-Mar-14 15:01:03

Dare I?

mummyonthewedge Fri 28-Mar-14 15:10:34

Not an Issa one. But I have started hand washing my silk jersey DVF dresses and they are fine. I think the colour has faded a little bit, but I have had some of them for 10 years or so, and I don't think dry cleaning really got them properly clean (under the arms, collars - TMI sorry but you know - I felt like I was at a point where I had to hand wash or chuck them). I did a patch test to see what would happen to the colour if I wet it on the inside hem. The fabric goes quite 'crunchy' when it is wet, but then back to normal once dry. I hang them to dry and give a very light press.

cowsarescary Fri 28-Mar-14 15:31:36

I think the dvf ones can be washed quite reliably - have seen threads previously on here about it.

But Issa an unknown quantity ...

It is black, too, so might fade.

Wonder if Kate Middleton popped hers into the sink?

thesaurusgirl Fri 28-Mar-14 18:58:46

I've done it. It's a bit of a faff but I actually prefer handwashing to drycleaning as it doesn't make the silk bobbly.

Do it in the bath, so the fabric has lots of room to move.

First fill the bath with enough water so that you yourself could wash in it. Put in a mug full of salt in the water - which should be blood temperature and no hotter - to fix the dye.

Then put in a cap full of a silk/cashmere wash liquid (not ordinary non-bio) and wash.

Then rinse very thoroughly with clean cold water.

Then soak for ten minutes in the bath with a cupful of white vinegar.

Dry by rolling into a bathtowel, then flat near but not on top of a radiator.

Iron inside out whilst damp.

LadyLapsang Fri 28-Mar-14 23:33:35

I wash my silk jersey LK Bennett dress on delicate wash, 600-800 spin, in a lingerie bag with Stergene & it's fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now