Talk

Advanced search

Space NK sales strategy

(14 Posts)
MrsMarigold Fri 28-Mar-14 10:40:28

Are they very commission driven? I always find they give you the hard sell. I went in yesterday to buy some foundation. I had tried various department stores but it was out of stock so Space NK was a last resort - honestly the woman wanted to sell me about £300 worth of stuff. I felt horrendous when I came out but when I looked in the mirror my skin isn't that bad, I did have dry lips but my eyes weren't half as baggy as she made out. I said I liked Burt's Bees lip gloss and Clarins Marula Oil face wash and the assistant went "hmm" and sniffed.

Onsera3 Fri 28-Mar-14 10:42:29

Yes I have found them very pushy with exp stuff and say all kinds of rubbish.

I'm sure you looked just fine!

polyhymnia Fri 28-Mar-14 11:40:49

My local Space NK is really good. I often go in and try various new products. The other day, for example, they applied several new By Terry things I wanted to try and a Laura Mercier cream eye shadow. I always note down the names, colours, and prices of products I like and say (truthfully) I want to walk around a bit and see the effect in different lights.

If I still really like the products after looking in daylight, shops, and at home, I'll usually go back in a day or week and buy one - maximum two - from my list, then perhaps another one a bit later, when my current product runs out.

I can honestly say the manageress has never pushed me to buy immediately and is always pleasant and welcoming. I've only come across one pushy assistant there ever and I just avoided her the next time.

missisboot Fri 28-Mar-14 11:53:18

They've always ignored me whenever I've gone in.
I clearly don't look like I have any money to spend grin

slug Fri 28-Mar-14 12:15:46

I think it depends on the shop. I have two near work. One always gives me the hard sell after first doing their best to ignore me, the other is full of sales assistants who are always happy to try products on me then write down the brand/colour should I wish to buy it at a later date.

higgle Fri 28-Mar-14 13:16:31

They always make me cross by ignoring me, even when I go in t buy a specific item. I must look as if I'm broke.

MrsMarigold Fri 28-Mar-14 14:49:23

FYI I emerged with just the foundation and a test pot of Strivectin eye cream because the Rodial one she tried on me burnt my face.
I feel for makeup they are ok but overpriced but for treatment products I'm highly suspicious.

Pagwatch Fri 28-Mar-14 14:58:19

My local branch is brilliant.
I never get the hard sell and often get loads of samples.

santamarianovella Fri 28-Mar-14 15:09:10

My local branch is great,lovely SA,not pushy at all,
I really don't like going to the south molton branch though,

MotherBluestocking Fri 28-Mar-14 16:08:25

I always find them helpful and lovely - it sounds as though you were just unlucky.

ReginaldBlinker Fri 28-Mar-14 16:11:48

I absolutely adore the girls in my local store... They're SO helpful... A bit pushy, and I do always end up spending more than I wanted to originally, but I've never regretted a purchase from there. I would write to their head office and let them know about your experiences. They have fantastic customer service (minus one rude woman on the phone once!) and I'm sure they would try to make it right somehow... freebies

ScienceRocks Fri 28-Mar-14 16:14:06

I was given the hard sell on a £140 tiny tub of cream for which they had no samples. Like I'm going to spend that when I haven't even tried it and don't know if it will even suit my super-sensitive skin! The sales assistant didn't tell me the price, just said it was "a little bit more expensive". I nearly fell over when I looked at the price. When I said it was more than I wanted to spend, she shrugged her shoulders, said nothing else was as good and walked off.

Very unimpressed, wouldn't go back.

RoyCroppersOldBag Fri 28-Mar-14 17:02:10

What is the Cheltenham shop like? I'm planning a trip to Cheltenham but won't bother going in there if they are too pushy - thanks

ReginaldBlinker Fri 28-Mar-14 17:07:46

Never been, sorry Roy. Have nothing but good things to say about the Northcote branch though, if you ever find yourself in the area grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now