Talk

Advanced search

A new life for formal jackets?

(14 Posts)
runningandjumping Fri 28-Mar-14 09:59:03

I was clearing out my wardrobe and I saw that I've got several formal trouser/skirt suits from my office days, which I never wear. I've created my own business and I either work from home, or go to meetings in a smart-casual attire ("creative" industry). So should I just ditch the suits - or I thought that I could wear the jackets with casual trousers/jeans/skirts? I've got a black, navy, grey with pinstripes and a beige suits. Blue jeans don't work with black, navy and grey and I haven't got the perfect figure for white jeans/ Any ideas?

billandcoo Fri 28-Mar-14 10:06:13

It's amazing what goes with blue jeans these days. Put something like 'black blazer' into pinterest and you'll find a uniform of blue jeans, white or grey tee and a black jacket.

HappyGirlNow Fri 28-Mar-14 12:44:38

Blue jeans go with almost any colour - denim is a neutral in my opinion.. I don't regard it as 'blue' as such.

MissMilbanke Fri 28-Mar-14 12:51:05

there are charities <names escape me now > where underprivelidged women going for interviews can be provided with suitable clothing to make them feel the part . Would that be something you would consider ?

LadyMud Fri 28-Mar-14 12:54:35

What shade of denim are you thinking of? A dark denim might look odd (not quite matching) but a lighter contrasting shade would look good.

On the other hand, to avoid expensive dry-cleaning bills, perhaps it would be better to Ebay them . . .

Glossolalias Fri 28-Mar-14 15:52:13

This is a charity that looks for smart donations like Miss Milbanke mentioned www.smartworks.org.uk/donations-home

MotherBluestocking Fri 28-Mar-14 17:49:24

Try them and see. I agree that denim is a neutral but you will probably find that some jackets work better with jeans than others. Or - depending on how old they are - they might just feel a bit dated.

Gillybobs Fri 28-Mar-14 18:21:28

Dress for success is another charity looking for interview appropriate clothing

runningandjumping Sat 29-Mar-14 21:09:52

Thanks for your opinions! I gave quite a lot to charity shops when I cleared out my wardrobe but I'm not very rich myself, and I thought it would be a good idea to update my wardrobe without spending money!

Lambstales Sat 29-Mar-14 22:23:48

I'd sort out the ones (probably black/navy) that look good with jeans.

For those that look awful, I would take any shoulder pads out. If still awful I would turn them into the modern long line waistcoat/gilet. Seem to be very fashionable at the moment. I think they were featured in the Times magazine today.

Lambstales Sat 29-Mar-14 22:27:44

Which suits have the trousers?

runningandjumping Sat 29-Mar-14 22:33:43

I usually wear dark denim or black jeans, perhaps I should buy light blue jeans.
Lambstales, I've got all the jackets with trousers except for the beige one which is the easiest to wear with jeans.

MsAspreyDiamonds Sun 30-Mar-14 05:45:18

Can you sell them on ebay & then use the proceeds to update your wardrobe?

Lambstales Mon 31-Mar-14 21:17:44

As summer is coming (maybe) a pair of lighter denims would be a good buy anyway. Don't go for 1980s blue.
When you go shopping, take then in a bag with you. Go to a good jeans shop. Listen to what they say.
Then think over a coffee?
I saw some sleeveless tailored jackets/coats in M&S today. DD tried one on ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now