Talk

Advanced search

Please look at my dress for cocktail party tomorrow night

(28 Posts)
mammmamia Thu 27-Mar-14 22:55:43

Big do tomorrow and cold feet about dress. What do you think of this?
Dress code is cocktail dresses.
I am 5'6" and size 8-10. Don't trust my own style anymore after DC. Is this stylish or frumpy?

mammmamia Thu 27-Mar-14 22:58:43

www.frenchconnection.com/product/Woman+Collections+Sale+Dresses+39+or+less/71HF9/Summer+Sparkle+Dress.htm#BVRRWidgetID

Argh pic hasn't come out well here is link

Justinepants Thu 27-Mar-14 23:02:00

I think that's lovely - elegant but also quite cool.

mammmamia Fri 28-Mar-14 09:18:24

Thanks justinepants

Bumping for morning traffic, any other opinions?

InkleWinkle Fri 28-Mar-14 09:26:02

I think it's lovely grin

sarsiem Fri 28-Mar-14 09:32:44

Gorgeous dress! Enjoy the party!

QueenofallIsee Fri 28-Mar-14 09:36:39

Its really nice - high heels to make it 'dressy' enough, I would wear a big bangle or large flashy watch with it and an envelope clutch

Enjoy your party and the fact you are a size 8 after children #jealous

BuzzardBird Fri 28-Mar-14 09:36:39

That is lovely, will look great. Have fun.

Ujjayi Fri 28-Mar-14 09:38:22

It's lovely. Very elegant. I would team it with a metallic or beaded clutch and some high heels.

LizardBreath Fri 28-Mar-14 09:42:29

Love it too. Such a versatile dress, I shouldn't look at these threads as now I'm off to fc website!

mammmamia Fri 28-Mar-14 09:58:28

Thank you thank you mumsnet. The dress is a bargain actually - reduced from £120!

I'm only a size 8 in certain areas - I've had twins, my stomach still looks pregnant after 4 years hence the loose drapey dress.

Thanks for the accessories tips, will definitely team with clutch and jewellery

Last question - tights or no? It's cold today!

spookySwitched Fri 28-Mar-14 10:22:34

I'd say no tights just some fake tan. Sally hansen airbrushing for legs is a good instant if you don't have time for fake tan. Or if you have a B & M bargains nearby there is a copy of Sally Hansen called 'tights in a tin' that is only £2.99 a can.

If you really want to tights I'd get fishnets.

whereisshe Fri 28-Mar-14 10:27:05

It's lovely! Not a dress for those large of boob or generous of hip though. I'm jealous - I love slip dresses but I'm far too pear shaped to wear them!

If you still have a mum tum after 4 years you probably have diastasis recti (muscle separation). It's not a life sentence - moan to your GP about it and get a physio referral, there are exercises you can do to restore your core muscles and close the muscle gap. It honestly makes me cross how relaxed the NHS are about this, it can cause back problems hernias etc etc and it's so easy to fix!

merlotmonster29 Fri 28-Mar-14 10:29:52

I really like it, but I think you need to have a very in proportion figure and preferably not have broad shoulders, as I think the style of this dress would just elongate them.

Onsera3 Fri 28-Mar-14 10:44:14

Yes it's nice and agree that you should go to town with metallic accessories and wow shoes- nothing to plain or dark.

Onsera3 Fri 28-Mar-14 10:44:37

^too plain

MrsMarigold Fri 28-Mar-14 10:53:19

I agree with Onsera3 - nice dress but what if it is really cold?

how about nude fishnet hold-ups from Wolford?

or skin coloured hold-ups?

Nice dress, are you quite leggy?

oscarwilde Fri 28-Mar-14 11:25:34

It's lovely, v elegant. You do need the right accessories though or it could feel very plain depending on the crowd.
I'd wear nude tights. It's flipping freezing. I think dark tights will make it look like a day dress

neighbourhoodwitch Fri 28-Mar-14 11:35:38

Gorgeous!!

ThefutureMrsTatum Fri 28-Mar-14 11:38:20

Ohh I really like it. Agree with others, nice clutch, heels and a statement bangle. It's classy.

Allalonenow Fri 28-Mar-14 11:47:51

I'd wear tights with this dress for a "dressed up" event, very sheer black or pale, depending on your shoes, no tights for a more casual look.

Have a great time!

WhatchaMaCalllit Fri 28-Mar-14 11:48:13

I'm going to go against the flow and say that while it is a lovely dress, if the dress code is "Cocktail Dress" that doesn't quite meet the mark. I would have thought something along these lines (also from FC UK) would be closer to that description:

www.frenchconnection.com/product/Woman+Collections+Dresses/71ASF/Tabitha+Tux+Dress.htm

www.frenchconnection.com/product/Woman+Collections+Dresses/71BAE/Capri+Fit+and+Flare+Dress.htm

www.frenchconnection.com/product/Woman+Collections+Dresses/71BIC/Romany+Sequin+Flared+Dress.htm

www.frenchconnection.com/product/Woman+Collections+Sale/71YL9/Geo+Daisy+Dress.htm

www.frenchconnection.com/product/Woman+Collections+Sale/71AKL/Feline+Wonder+V-Neck+Dress.htm

But it seems like I'm in the minority.

Whatever you end up wearing, have a lovely time!

quirrelquarrel Fri 28-Mar-14 11:52:33

I love FCUK (had to check my typing there, oops)! and I do like that dress but the material looks a bit cheap and viscosey.

Thought the sale had stopped! off for a mooch around

LadyMud Fri 28-Mar-14 12:48:31

WhatchaMaCalllit, are you seriously suggesting that "Cocktail Dress" means bare arms? hmm
No cocktails for LadyMud then sad no-one is looking at my bingo wings

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now