Talk

Advanced search

So... what does one wear for a 'date'???

(34 Posts)
whatatodoooo Thu 27-Mar-14 20:56:33

This feels slightly tragic. I'm 33, and haven't been on a date in a decade (I've been married... husband has left... I think I'm ready to start trying again). I haven't thought about this stuff for a long time. I live in work clothes and normal kicking around with the kids stuff (jeans).

While I know this first date may be a disaster for so many other reasons, I want to at least feel like I got it right clothing-wise!

Can anyone suggest something which says 'attractive, subtle undertones of sexiness, but not trying too hard'...???

whatatodoooo Thu 27-Mar-14 20:57:28

I should say, this feels tragic because I don't know why I've suddenly lost the ability to dress myself :/

whitecat Thu 27-Mar-14 21:01:07

Is it for day or night? Indoor or outdoor? What were you wearing when you first met?

fairylightsintheloft Thu 27-Mar-14 21:02:21

dark denim that fits you well, heels (boots less OTT than shoes I think) and a nice top. (to be fair, this is what I wear on everything other than weddings and genuine slobbing but the niceness of the top and the heoght of the heels + make up and jewellery denotes "date") smile Have a great time x

IncognitoIsMyFavouriteWord Thu 27-Mar-14 21:02:32

A dress. Always a dress for a date.

whatatodoooo Thu 27-Mar-14 21:06:06

Ah, brilliant, thanks for replying!

We haven't met yet. Friend of a friend. We've spoken a bit on the phone. Daytime. Indoor and outdoor (but not mountaineering...)

What kind of dress? Sorry, I am an infant about this. Any good examples? Thanks so much for your help smile

BobPatSamandIgglePiggle Thu 27-Mar-14 21:07:17

Where are you off to, what size are you?

whatatodoooo Thu 27-Mar-14 21:07:38

I don't wear much jewellery and would feel a bit pretendy if I did. Always make-up. Not great on heels apart from work ones...

whatatodoooo Thu 27-Mar-14 21:09:49

Highly unlikely he'll be reading this, but I won't specify, apart from to say meeting in a town. I'm 5ft 3, a small size 8 (I only say this because lots of skirts don't fit if they're 'down-sizing' shops), absolutely flat-chested, pretty normal otherwise.

whatatodoooo Thu 27-Mar-14 21:10:25

God, I'm putting myself off just reading about me!!

HorseyTwinkleToes Thu 27-Mar-14 21:11:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whatatodoooo Thu 27-Mar-14 21:14:15

Hahahaha, Per Una. Even I know not to delve into that!!

You must be really lovely looking to carry it off then.

I'm so out of the loop. But I like this guy so far so don't want to mess it up.

whatatodoooo Thu 27-Mar-14 21:15:36

Can I ask another simple question... What hosiery do you wear with a dress for a date?

JoStrom Thu 27-Mar-14 21:45:22

@ whatatodoooo - you can't go wrong with a quailty opaque or semi opaque - M&S bodysensor 30 or 40 denier are really nice - lovely on - and look much more expensive than they are. However, they are still 'street' and not too fine/sexy - wrong on date 1 IMHO.

Getting back to original question it depends where you are going on your date! if its a drink in a br or an informal meal, I would say a plainish but chic dress - maybe a chunky belt. Statement bag and a nice (not so plain) scarf - maybe animal print. You want to be smart but understatedly sexy - not full on!

Good luck and enjoy! x

JoStrom Thu 27-Mar-14 21:47:23

Ps ooh and maybe suede/suede look boots (heel height depends on your own taste and comfort) not shoes.

whatatodoooo Thu 27-Mar-14 22:40:05

Thanks so much JoStrom - I think you've got it absolutely right. I don't know where I will find said chic dress, but will start looking... This is stressful! Thanks again for all the help.

Twinklestein Thu 27-Mar-14 23:08:56

Given that it's daytime, I'd either wear a killer pair of designer jeans to make my bum look ace, with sexyish glam top and leather jacket; or a dress again with a leather jacket. Probably a tea dress as it's spring and so as not to look too dressed up. And heels.

The main aim is to show off your nice figure without looking like you're trying too hard. Men really don't care about bags and scarves so they don't matter so much...

Laska42 Thu 27-Mar-14 23:17:43

House of Fraser has 25% off ..what colours suit you?.. ive gone for blues here...

how about this

or this?

this?

opaque tights always , dark shoes or boots, discreet jewellery

whereisshe Thu 27-Mar-14 23:17:56

I'd go with something that looks like you eg if it's a dress do you do neat/preppy (peter pan collars, pussy bow blouses etc), edgy/grungy (asymmetry, not much colour, rough edges etc), classic (crisply ironed, twin sets etc), quirky (retro shapes, mixes of prints, socks with Mary Janes etc)... I think if you want to get to know him better you should dress as YOU. Which "style icons" do you like the look of?

FightingFires Thu 27-Mar-14 23:21:07

Dorothy Perkins always has lovely day dresses smile

cafecito Thu 27-Mar-14 23:27:34

black dress, just above the knee, probably elbow length sleeves - kind of an only slightly sexed up version of what you might wear at work

would be my vote, for you - depending on weather decide what to do with legs, maybe some boots with a heel? ankle boots = quite casual
I'd also say nothing fussy, steer clear of belt/bag induced distraction as much as possible

whatatodoooo Thu 27-Mar-14 23:33:10

Ooh these are excellent points, thanks, and perfect dresses for me laska : particularly the top two are exactly 'me'. Funnily enough my boss mentioned today that I always wear navy! Thank you. I will find out if they're in stock in my town... Wow mumsnet is great for these situs smile thanks all

whatatodoooo Thu 27-Mar-14 23:35:58

haha yes cafe I must me a bit male-minded about fashion as belts and bags do confuse me. Boots are a slight worry as I do have short, stocky legs so they can look worse with ankle boots. I know this because I see my mum wearing them and she's the same in proportion grin

FightingFires Thu 27-Mar-14 23:38:18

As it's officially spring I think you can probably get away with ballet flats rather than boots (Mine are lovely and from New Look). If you were to go boots, go heeled and knee length!

whatatodoooo Thu 27-Mar-14 23:39:09

grungy I prob could be described as neat/preppy/classic. Nothing fashionable or 'of the moment'. Style icons-wise I don't know... Delia? Kidding. Someone fairly neat though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now