Talk

Advanced search

Natural hairdye to cover greys

(6 Posts)
hanette Thu 27-Mar-14 20:18:38

Hi - anyone got any recommendations? I normally have highlights in a salon. But I would like to give the salon a miss for a bit (had an alopecia episode which is luckily growing back, but I can't face explaining it!).

I'm ok with just growing it for a bit but need to cover greys. Don't want to use harsh chemicals whilst my scalp is still recovering. My hair colour is mid- brown

Thanks in advance

KathrynJaneway Thu 27-Mar-14 23:21:23

What about using Henna? You can get it in the Body Shop, I think I might have seen it in Holland and Barrett too. I have a tendency to react badly to dye so was looking into going down this route. Haven't tried it yet but it was my hairdresser who recommended it to me, she said her friend uses it and while it's apparently a bit messy to apply (it's like a bar of soap, it has to be melted in a pot first or something) it gives a very natural looking colour.

LakeFlyPie Thu 27-Mar-14 23:33:34

I reacted to the patch test for semi permanent colour at hairdresser so use Lush henna which gives reasonable grey coverage and good glossy condition (and no itchy rash)
I have very dark brown hair and use a mixture of brun and noir henna blocks as I don't want the orangey tones you can get with henna.

Not sure how long I'll get away with grey coverage though, they seem to be increasing exponentially ATM.

hanette Thu 27-Mar-14 23:54:40

Thanks so much both - I hadn't thought of henna. The lush product looks good, I will deffo give bit a try!

hanette Fri 28-Mar-14 00:14:00

Hi - I just did some googling and apparently if you mix henna with coffee instead of water it is more effective on greys. Will give it a go

Sicaq Fri 28-Mar-14 07:07:03

I use this one:

www.amazon.co.uk/Henne-Color-Henna-Powder-Brown/dp/B00DW7SPM8/ref=sr_1_35?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1395990322&sr=1-35&keywords=Henne+Color

Less messy than Lush (and not so full of other stinky ingredients). I mix the red and the brown to get sort of auburn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now