Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant, enormo-boobs, bra size perplexing me -- help?

(8 Posts)
wrapsuperstar Thu 27-Mar-14 18:12:36

Please! flowers

I have just measured using the method described here and am 32" underneath (could probably pull it tighter but 32 is not loose) and 43" on top. I am usually about 28" underneath and about 38" on top. I have been guessing and wearing a 34H of late but my cup is overspilling in comedy extremes.

I just don't know what to try -- am 29 weeks pregnant, still wearing underwires comfortably but will inevitably move into nursing bras post-birth. I am still sort-of breastfeeding my two year old DD but she isn't taking much milk, if that makes any difference.

Happy to shop around and spend a bit if need be but will probably be mostly restricted to online.

Any expert advice very gratefully received!

fanoftheinvisibleman Thu 27-Mar-14 18:17:50

I'm sure one of the bra experts will be along with better advice but you match band size to measurement so a 32" band.

OK, based on your measurements you would start with a 32H. However, that's one size smaller than your current bra in the cup - can you tell me what brand it is please? (some come up small or miss out sizes so it will affect what we suggest trying!)

wrapsuperstar Thu 27-Mar-14 19:02:12

Marks & Spencer and I fished out an old Royce nursing bra in the same size that has the same effect (I know they have a very different fit though!).

I am definitely getting an overspill and the centre part isn't lying flush by any stretch. confused Perhaps I should have another go with the tape measure...

OK, Marks and Spencer skip a FF, so an H in M&S is a GG elsewhere. Royce I think skip even more cup sizes - I have a feeling they skip GG too.

However, if you have considerable overspill on those I would suggest you probably need 2-3 cup sizes bigger. You measure at a 32 just now, but your ribs will go up more so it depends how tight a 32 feels on you. Normally, you should buy a new bra so it fits on the loosest hooks so you can tighten it as it stretches. Pregnancy is the one time you do the opposite and buy it on the tightest hook.

COuld you maybe try and do your overbust again? The tape shouldn't be compressing your boobs at all, and you should be as close to 90 degrees as you can get with a bump!

wrapsuperstar Thu 27-Mar-14 20:51:01

Thanks Statistically -- already learned something new re:certain manufacturers skipping cups altogether!

Appreciate the tips on band fitting during pregnancy. Based on what you've said I think I will, as a general rule, go for 34" in the meantime.

I have remeasured, faithfully observing the 90 degree suggestion, and am coming up more like 46-47", which would definitely suggest your assessment of going up a few cup sizes might be correct! Question is, will they be easy enough to come by? Feeling daunted and I have always been reasonably generous of bust...

That makes a lot more sense. I'd suggest in a 32 you'd want to try a 32JJish, and in a 34 try a HH/J and maybe a JJ.

Easy to come by - if you're shopping online yes. On the high street, not so much although some of the bigger department stores like Debenhams will have them. If you order online try Leia, Brastop, Bravissimo, Amazonn (honestly!), mycurvesandme, belle lingerie....

BTW, you don't need to go wire free when feeding if you'd rather not (fellow owner of sizeable boobs who hates wire free bras!) Your best bet will be to buy little converters from ebay and convert bras yourself. ALternatively, Ewa Michalak sell underwired drop cup bras.

As long as you are meticulous about ensuring the wire does not sit on breast tissue, it's fine.

wrapsuperstar Fri 28-Mar-14 21:04:16

Thank you so much! flowers

Am going to have a mini-spree online and will report back with what I hope will be a success story! wink

Very pleased at revelation of converting underwires to drop cups too, genius. Will investigate further. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now