Talk

Advanced search

If you're an hourglass, what does your casual wardrobe look like?

(13 Posts)
StephenKatz Thu 27-Mar-14 12:45:58

Just that really. I'm very 'hourglassy' and I feel like all the clothes I wear at the moment do me no favours whatsoever. I'm finding it hard to dress for my figure, everything makes my hips look huge and hides my waist. I'm a SAHM so my wardrobe doesn't need to be smart (although I like to look slightly 'glam' day to day) and I'm fresh out of ideas about what I'm going to wear in the spring/summer. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Scarletohello Thu 27-Mar-14 12:49:11

Twist front tops with jeans?

Do you know who Sofia Vergara is? ( she's in Modern Family). She is an hourglass and looks amazing!

I'm busty but an apple shape so slightly different to you but I know how hard it is to dress a big bust and not look tarty/ bigger overall.

OneLittleLady Thu 27-Mar-14 12:50:14

Wrap or mock wrap dresses, belted long cardigans over skinnies and a vest top, skirts that sit on the waist with tops tucked in.

SorrelForbes Thu 27-Mar-14 12:57:20

High waisted skinny jeans, blazer or well cut jacket, fitted t-shirts/tops layered with vests. A-line skirts that sit on my waist with tucked in top.

vitaminC Thu 27-Mar-14 13:07:37

Often jersey dresses or a denim skirt with a fairly fitted top and a cropped or belted jacket.

Regarding dresses hiding your waist - I have to have most clothes taken in at the waist, otherwise anything wide enough to fit my broad shoulders/boobs/hips just bags around the middle.

Any skirts, trousers, dresses, jackets etc I buy go straight to the local dressmaker for adjusting, before I even bring them home!

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 27-Mar-14 13:17:28

All of the above (apart from long belted cardis - just don't work for me). I also like cropped or tie-front cardis, plus drapey tops. Sleeveless dresses with loose belt over cropped trousers - not leggings - again, they don't work on me.
And I like short-sleeved shirts/blouses with a vest under if buttons are strained!

sugar4eva Thu 27-Mar-14 13:48:04

Today I have green gap skiinny chino s with a short lace top with green cardi and a slightly mad oversize green ring. I often wear a belted tunic with skinny jeans .gap curvy jeans a d any top seem to work . I also often wear casual
Shirt dress with a little cardi and flats . With a belt or does not work well .

sansucre Thu 27-Mar-14 15:26:05

High-waisted jeans, or rather jeans that sit just below my waist/not hipsters. A huge revelation. I always thought jeans weren't for me, but it seems I was wearing the wrong jeans for years.

I usually wear jeans, nice belt and either a thin merino sweater or a chambray shirt tucked in and flats. Not the most exciting outfit but it's simple, stylish and flatters my good bits.

I loathe tights so no dresses/skirts until it gets warmer.

I guess it also depends on what size you are as I'm an size 4/6 hourglass and what suits me/I feel good in might not necessarily be the same for you.

StephenKatz Thu 27-Mar-14 18:32:29

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!

I do have some high waisted jeans I love, I think I need to find some nice cardis and vests to go with them. At the moment I just have some Primark stretchy vests but they are looking past their best and cling to my belly a bit too much!

I'm 5"6ish and size 10/12. I'm not overweight but I do carry a bit of belly fat low down which I'd rather not show off, so it's trying to find a compromise between fitted at the waist and not clingy on the belly!

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 27-Mar-14 20:20:54

Flared skirts with a fitted yoke which are good for that - not easy to find, though.

AnythingNotEverything Thu 27-Mar-14 21:55:45

I like a pencil fit skirt - either jersey tube skirt or in denim or cord. I also like a wrap dress or wrap tops.

I'm currently still carrying some baby bulge but find Phase Eight quite flattering at the moment.

goodasitgets Fri 28-Mar-14 00:06:49

My latest purchase. Looks crap on the hanger though! I wear it with a waist belt and flat boots
www.matalan.co.uk/mobile/product/detail/s2565887

I basically live in v neck dresses or ones like boden emma (twist waist) with a waist belt

singaporeswing Fri 28-Mar-14 04:30:46

I'm the same shape but a couple of inches taller with the same clingy/belly issue.

I live in the tropics, so mainly wear short/tshirt and cotton summer dresses. I wore a pair of American Apparel riding pants the other day with a slim fitting long top and DP said I looked amazing.

In the UK, I live in jeans/chinos with slightly longer top that I can almost ruche up around the belly area. Tshirts always V neck. Also, fitted tube skirts with a slightly baggier top. I've got a lovely maxi skirt from Forever21 that has a double folded waistband which looks great and holds my belly in slightly.

New Look have a lot of great dresses with elasticated waist that show off your waist without clinging. Very flattering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now