Talk

Advanced search

Has a massage ever made you feel ill?

(23 Posts)
reddaisy Tue 25-Mar-14 19:53:54

Was really ill a couple of weeks ago with chest infection and flu type symptoms and it took ages to recover and feel like I had a bit of energy. Finally felt better last week and then I had a Swedish massage this weekend and the next day I felt terrible. Could it be all the toxins? It was the most vigorous massage I have ever had but I want to feel well!

Doshusallie Tue 25-Mar-14 19:54:57

Not like you describe but I was bruised to fuck after a Thai massage I had in India....

reddaisy Tue 25-Mar-14 19:59:24

I remember seeing Thai women doing beach side massages but they definitely didn't look very relaxing! It doesn't feel much like a treat if it hurts.

MooseBeTimeForSpring Tue 25-Mar-14 20:02:43

If your massage included a bit of lymphatic drainage then yes, they can make you feel drained and nauseous.

reddaisy Tue 25-Mar-14 20:04:19

Any idea how long will it last Moose? I have been drinking water all day to flush toxins out.

HennaFlare Tue 25-Mar-14 20:11:11

Yes definitely. Drink lots and lots of water. It will pass within 48 hours.

Treaclepot Tue 25-Mar-14 20:12:58

Yes, it is called a healing crisis. You should feel better v soon.

Sillysarah49 Tue 25-Mar-14 20:13:22

When I was learning massage at college, one poor lady vomited immediately after her massage. It can affect people badly, but I would have thought by tomorrow you should be fine.

goodasitgets Tue 25-Mar-14 20:16:57

Yes but I think it was one of the essential oils that affected me. Felt almost vertigo like, nauseated, couldn't stand up

reddaisy Tue 25-Mar-14 20:17:46

Healing crisis? Wonder if I can call in sick saying that tomorrow grin I really do feel dreadful.

reddaisy Tue 25-Mar-14 20:18:43

SillySarah - hope you took it as a compliment!

SinglePringle Tue 25-Mar-14 20:22:01

Yes. It can trigger a migraine in me. However, I always have a deep tissue / sports massage which is very intense and most definitely hurts at times. But I want it to! Can't abide a namby pamby massage done by a beauty therapist who's completed a one week course. I want pain!

And yy to the pp saying it can depend on any aromatherapy oils used. Vetivert makes me very nauseous and headachy immediately.

Drink loads of water as others have said and don't have too not a bath - it will further dehydrate you. Should be gone by the morning.

bamboostalks Tue 25-Mar-14 20:22:52

I once had reflexology as was overdue and it did nothing for me but I vomited everywhere afterwards.

MaxsMummy2012 Tue 25-Mar-14 20:26:47

Um yes, I had my 1 and only massage for my hen do a few years back and that evening had to cut my hen night short as I had the most severe diorrhea that I'd had in donkeys years and I swear it triggered my ibs sad

TheGrassIsSinging Tue 25-Mar-14 20:31:25

Yes, I have Thai massages and often feel dehydrated and a bit off afterwards, but much better the following day - and worth it for getting rid of aches and pains and knots.

reddaisy Tue 25-Mar-14 20:39:32

That sounds awful MaxsMummy. I don't think this is worth getting rid of a couple of knots!

MaxsMummy2012 Tue 25-Mar-14 21:02:26

No reddaisy - i'm sticking with the knots from now on smile

42notTrendy Tue 25-Mar-14 21:04:31

Yes, I do sometimes. And get hideous black rings under my eyes, drink lots of water, it does help.

Twinklestein Tue 25-Mar-14 22:07:27

I doubt it was 'toxins', you probably hadn't completely got rid of the virus...

Treaclepot Tue 25-Mar-14 22:09:35

You might have still had the virus and a massage effects your immune system.

reddaisy Tue 25-Mar-14 22:33:53

Does it Treacle? I had no idea. This does feel more like the virus that I had but the timing is making me blame the massage.

angeltulips Wed 26-Mar-14 08:40:13

Yes I do, but usually it's related to the therapist doing lots of work on my neck and pecs - there's a nerve that runs into the stomach from there. I occasionally vomit after a massage sad

RaspberryRuffle Fri 28-Mar-14 00:35:41

Yes, had a 'cleansing' massage years ago, aromatherapy, essential oils, thought nothing of it. Next day I had a lift to work, just made it to public toilets, vomited for ages, had to text boss from the loos and ring later, and take the day off and have my probation period extended due to this one and only sick day ffs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now