Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Toast - the shop not the food

(4 Posts)
Saurus72 Mon 24-Mar-14 19:46:22

I am kind of perplexed how Toast have managed to build their business that is, after all, primarily mail order/online, when the size and fit of their clothes is all over the frickin place!

I have been shopping at Toast for about 10 years, virtually always ordering things as opposed to going into their shops. I estimate that I have kept about 10% of the things I have ordered, with the remaining 90% being returned usually for being a fit that I cannot see would flatter any human being. And yet seemingly it does, otherwise they would have gone bust.

The reason I keep persevering with them is that on the odd occasion that I find something that works, it really really works well - great fit, fabulous quality (I'm still wearing two coats I bought at 90% off in an archive sale 7 years ago, and they look brand new). I just bought a perfect summer dress from Toast (in John Lewis) - fits like glove, brilliant fabric etc, and I got all excited about the fact that they have some other lovely looking dresses on their website. I ordered them, they arrived and looked like hessian sacks on me. It is mysterious and frustrating - I find it hard to see how it can work for them as a viable business, but it clearly does. Sorry, just wanted to rant a bit wink.

AwkwardSquad Mon 24-Mar-14 20:13:41

I completely agree and have exactly the same experience every time I shop there. The sizing and cut is all over the place but when I find a good piece, it's a keeper and v good quality.

Last season / this new season - can't see anything I like at all, though. And a bit of polyester sneaking in.

AwkwardSquad Mon 24-Mar-14 20:16:02

How did someone describe Toast style on another thread... Stoned gap year student on Guatamalan goat farm... Wish I could remember, it was hilarious!

TheCraicDealer Mon 24-Mar-14 20:22:53

I'd never heard of this place, being from Northern Ireland (the province that fashion forgot). On investigation I think gap-year-Guatemala is a fair comment; they have a pen knife in their "accessories" section. What the jeff.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: