Talk

Advanced search

need some dress advice for attending a wedding - not worn a dress in years!!

(15 Posts)
soontobeslendergirl Mon 24-Mar-14 17:37:10

I haven't worn a dress in years - I live in trousers and tops. We have been invited to an all day wedding so think a dress would be more appropriate.

I'm nearly 48, 5'10 size 14/16. I think something mid calf or definitely below the knee line. Don't really like the tops of my arms so something with sleeves. Not particularly busty - I would say normal kind of build - my narrowest point is just below my chest so was thinking a wrap dress style might look nice - I have some wrap tops which tend to look quite nice on.

Don't want to spend a fortune. Colouring wise, I am fairly pale complexion with blue eyes but dyed brown hair. I'd prefer not black or white and like spring time colours but the wedding is in October. I don't want to leave it too long as don't want the Christmassy evening dress stuff or anything too summery so thought Spring would be the best chance of getting what I like.

No idea of where to even start looking though. I am not a big shopper, don't hang out with women much and OH is no help other than saying he doesn't like purple hmm

Any ideas gratefully received smile

frillyflower Mon 24-Mar-14 18:22:42

Try Hobbs maybe?

frillyflower Mon 24-Mar-14 18:26:34

Like this?

Pinkandwhite Mon 24-Mar-14 18:27:57

How about a dress from Phase Eight? Something like this:

www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/product/phase-eight//Jerry-Cross-Front-Dress/202413351

This or something similar could be dress up with high heels, jewellery and a clutch bag.

frillyflower Mon 24-Mar-14 18:29:59

Or this wrap style

soontobeslendergirl Mon 24-Mar-14 18:37:35

Oh, thanks. smile I like that Phase 8 one but would jersey be okay for a wedding do you think?

Maybe something a bit more flarey a the bottom?

soontobeslendergirl Mon 24-Mar-14 18:39:59

Not sure I could get away with anything quite that fitted (in your first link frilly) without a distracting pattern so you couldn't see the lumps and bumps smile

frillyflower Mon 24-Mar-14 19:07:20

Have a look on the John Lewis site? Lots of brands there. What about this

soontobeslendergirl Mon 24-Mar-14 19:17:18

yes, i like that one - maybe a wee bit longer as I'm not used to showing off my legs, but on the right lines - I could wear that with a really fine knit cardi maybe?

Wedding is in hotel so not likely to be outside much smile

soontobeslendergirl Mon 24-Mar-14 19:21:46

Think I quite like this one - would need a top/cardi for it though.

www.johnlewis.com/east-paisley-print-dress-pearl/p1245196

frillyflower Tue 25-Mar-14 06:12:52

That's pretty. You could wear it with a coloured cardi and have shoes and bag the same colour.

I have got similar dress dilemma except that I am going to a wedding in london and a ball in oxford on the same day and won't have long to change. Also need to lose at least half a stone. Also always feel weird when dressed up!

I am thinking of getting a personal style session at John Lewis. Could you do that too?

soontobeslendergirl Tue 25-Mar-14 08:10:16

Thanks. Ooh you do have a tough one there. I've lost 3 stone and hoping to lose another before October.

I work and we live in the sticks and I do a lot of stuff with the kids at the weekends so won't get a lot of time for shopping. I also don't really like people fussing at me so I'm not sure I would enjoy the style session. That's a really good idea though. Thanks again.

frillyflower Wed 26-Mar-14 08:41:44

That's so brilliant to lose 3 stone. It must feel great. You need a dress to celebrate your figure lady!

frillyflower Wed 26-Mar-14 08:45:52

The last summer wedding I went to I wore this dress from Whistles - forgiving as it has gathers on tummy and sleeves and nice fabric (silk). Try Whistles?

soontobeslendergirl Wed 26-Mar-14 10:35:15

Oh that looks lovely on - I can't do that colour with my complexion, neutrals do nothing for me I'm afraid sad but i'll definitely look at whistles, thanks.

Yes, It is good having lost the weight. I still need to lose probably 2 stone in total but have lost momentum and motivation recently hence the target to just get one more off before October. i went from a size 18/20 down to a 14/16 so a fair difference. I have a naturally slim build (underneath the fat!) I was only just over 9 stone pre children (i'm 5'10) I would never want to get that thin again now as I don't think it sits too well as you get older. I was at 15 stone 10 pounds last January and have been sitting at between 12 and a half and 13 since last summer. I'd like to be about 10 and a half to 11 - but I get into normal BMI at 12 and a half so that feels pretty good.

I have been enjoying wearing all the clothes that I haven't been able to for years that I held on to, but I have nothing suitable for a wedding really. I have a couple of dresses that are 12s that theoretically I could maybe get into by then if I pulled my socks up, but I don't really like them anyway.

I'd like something quite classic with a bit of colour that doesn't expose too much flesh or any lumps and bumps - not asking for much! grin

Tbh it's not even a relative or close friends wedding (colleague of my OHs) and we wont know many people there, I just feel like making an effort for a change. I was at peak weight at the last wedding we went to and just wore black trousers, a plain top and a coloured cardi - i didn't feel nice and didn't enjoy it, didn't dance or anything. We had the kids with us so I spent time making them look nice and didn't really bother about myself. This one will be just us as a couple so there will be more focus on me I think.

I hope you find something. Maybe you could get away with the same dress and just change the accessories?

I.e maybe cream or coloured bag and shoes with a facinator type thing for the wedding and then switch to black (patent?) maybe for the evening do and lose the hair decoration, add in a sparkly necklace or something? Maybe a 1950's style, classic fitted top half , flared bottom half in a champagne colour or the same colour as the one in the photo, with your hair up in a french roll type thing would look really elegant and transfer quite nicely with different accessories for the evening? I'm thinking Breakfast at Tiffanys type of thing (if I have the right move/era there!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now