Talk

Advanced search

Old-looking hands

(16 Posts)
sandalsinthebin Mon 24-Mar-14 16:50:58

My hands are starting to look really old (I'm mid-40s). They feel dry and look quite veiny. Any tips or product recommendations? Not got the funds for cosmetic procedures atm

colette Mon 24-Mar-14 16:52:59

sandalsinthebin bumping as I have the same problem!

MarianForrester Mon 24-Mar-14 16:54:52

I was sceptical, but the Body Shop hemp hand cream is really effective.

Haven't used a body shop product since 1980 something, but felt obliged to buy something at a charity thing and have been amazed.

My dcs are no longer embarrassed by my crone like hands smile

Woodenheart Mon 24-Mar-14 18:34:48

MarianForrester Does the hemp smell o.k?
I used it a few years back, but my hands sort of smelt like incense.

SnowieBear Mon 24-Mar-14 18:39:22

It just to -stink- smell quite a bit IIRC. Has it improved?

MarianForrester Mon 24-Mar-14 21:11:16

Well,it does smell a bit incensey, but I think there is now a rose scented version...?

dottyaboutstripes Mon 24-Mar-14 21:28:11

I have a no 7 hand scrub which works wonders

Financeprincess Mon 24-Mar-14 21:37:14

You can't do much about the veins. I know. I've had veiny old lady hands since I was little, which is apparently a consequence of not carrying much fat on my hands. Such a shame that it lives on my tummy instead.

sandalsinthebin Tue 25-Mar-14 20:03:31

Thanks all I have bought bodyshop hemp and I'll try the boots scrub. Shame that there doesn't appear to be much I can do about the veins. Not actually veiny all the time, just when my hands are warm

FrankCarsonsDressingRoom Tue 25-Mar-14 20:13:39

Occlude with vaseline and cotton gloves. Overnight, it's amazing, I do it to hands and feet every night at the moment.

ihatethecold Tue 25-Mar-14 20:20:13

Occlude?
What's that then?

TheBuskersDog Tue 25-Mar-14 20:42:21

Well occlude means to block off or close up. I think the pp just meant cover with vaseline (smother maybe?) and wear gloves overnight, it does work well.

ihatethecold Tue 25-Mar-14 20:54:33

Thanks

sybilfaulty Tue 25-Mar-14 21:00:20

I have lots of bottles of cheap hand cream stashed around the house and office to apply whenever I remember. If I can do it a few times a day it makes a huge difference

I love clarins hand and nail cream but too expensive to use exclusively. I reckon quantity is as important as quality if your hands are very dry and crepey.

I don't have visible veins as my hands are a bit too well padded for that. Perhaps they would look less noticeable if your hands were less dry?

keepmoving Tue 25-Mar-14 21:00:27

Short term solution that I saw Joan Collins recommend (think this is the first time I have ever quoted Joan Collins beauty tips) but raise your hands to shoulder height for a minute or so as if you were waving and all the veins go down!

Financeprincess Tue 25-Mar-14 21:16:13

I will try that. I'm sure that Joan knows best!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now