Talk

Advanced search

m&s campaign

(13 Posts)
SundaySimmons Mon 24-Mar-14 13:40:18

I don't want to see 'inspirational' women modelling the clothes. They are lovely women I'm sure but I hate all this 'real' women posing and back slapping.
Bring back the models!
Alex Wek looks stunning, the rest look like a group of Librarians on a day out!
Actually, I can't stand Emma Thomson, so perhaps it's her turning that has set me off.

SundaySimmons Mon 24-Mar-14 13:41:04

Gurning not turning

hiddenhome Mon 24-Mar-14 13:42:43

I like seeing 'real' women. Models are boring, you see 'em everywhere.

I think they should have some short, plump, inspirational women though......perhaps Anne Widdicombe?

francesdrake Mon 24-Mar-14 14:22:36

I wish they'd stop wasting time putting together these self-congratulatory campaigns featuring Some Famous-ish Women in M&S clothes and get on with designing the world's most flattering, best value black trousers, sorting out the woeful state of their hosiery suppliers, and retraining their bra fitters. Emma Thompson in a pair of arse-mungous peglegs is not going to persuade me back to M&S again, whereas a really brilliant black jersey jacket and fishnets that don't ladder after one wear might.

mistlethrush Mon 24-Mar-14 14:24:52

It is ironic that they have been running a 'get a discount voucher if you come to our expert bra fitting service' and I'm thinking 'they've not read the MN bra fitting threads, have they!'

francesdrake Mon 24-Mar-14 14:32:10

The last two or three times I've been browsing in the lingerie department (which I can't type without thinking of Father Ted), I've overheard shoppers requesting a bra fitting - in order to get the £5 off what'd be a a minimum £25 spend, surely? - only to be told that they have to make an appointment. And the changing rooms have been empty! I just do not understand M&S determination to fritter away the apparently bottomless supply of goodwill the nation's shoppers hold for it.

M&S, you are the Lindsay Lohan of the high street. Get it together, FFS.

francesdrake Mon 24-Mar-14 14:32:53

Sorry, sunday, the bees in my bonnet hijacked your thread a bit there...

slug Mon 24-Mar-14 15:02:10

grin Hidden homes, I can't agree more. M&S suffer from the same problem as Boden i.e. advertising size 22 clothes on a model that could easily fit inside one leg of the trousers.

IamInvisible Mon 24-Mar-14 15:07:14

I hate the phrase 'real women'! We're all real! I would like to see different shapes and sizes, as well as different heights. I'm 5ft4, if I wanted to keep seeing what clothes look like on 6ft+ models I'd ask DH's or one of the kids (both boys) to model it for me.

hidden they couldn't ask Anne Widdecombe, could you imagine what they'd do to her in a bra fitting?

helzapoppin2 Mon 24-Mar-14 15:13:06

I find a bit sick making!
It says "These are aspirational women". Well I don't, despite being the same age as some of them, aspire to being like them, and I don't want to see them giggling around pretending to be best friends. It's too smug!
The clothes look a bit "comfy" and for some undefinable reason I don't like Annie Lennox. She's a bit worthy and preachy. I'd actually rather see the clothes on proper models.
Grumble over!

TollgateDebs Mon 24-Mar-14 17:10:55

Define aspirational? I don't like M&S thinking they know who inspires us, because it certainly isn't those in their advertising campaigns! As for the clothes, what they look like in a picture is not what they look like in reality. I'd prefer a 'here's what they look like after being worn for a day and washed' campaign, which would really be a test of their clothing.

fussychica Mon 24-Mar-14 18:47:55

Agree re bra fittings. I asked in an empty store with 3 staff talking at the counter. They said I'd need an appointment - I queries this but said they were all too busy to do it without oneconfused I walked out.

Also 2 weeks ago they did a 3 day 20% off promotion but I couldn't go so thought I missed out and bought the item I wanted full price. This week they have another promotion but only online. I ordered the same items to pick up in store tomorrow and I'll take the original purchases back - madness.

Why don't they just use their staff or customers to model the clothes - much more interesting.

MadBusLady Mon 24-Mar-14 19:12:26

Yes, the famous women campaign is strange, they don't need to build goodwill and associations with Britishness, they have all that. They just need to get on with making good quality basic clothes, perhaps with a couple of high fashion flourishes. I don't mind the frills and furbelows ranges like Per Una and Classic because they are clearly signed to avoid. I want somewhere between Gap, Banana Republic, Zara and Uniqlo, at good prices. And a range in the next price bracket up in natural fabrics would be nice too (their cashmere already fulfils this to an extent).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now