Talk

Advanced search

Ball gown?

(11 Posts)
frillyflower Sun 23-Mar-14 21:02:36

Hello style gurus I have been invited to a ball in Oxford this summer.

I a wondering if I can wear this long gold skirt as it's the only long thing I own and I am pretty sure this is the only ball I am going to.

I bought it 5 years ago. Is it hideous? If not and I can wear it do you have any advice about a suitable top - I have up to £200 and need to cover my upper arms.

Also, could I wear gold ballet pumps - don't do heels.

Puddles1234 Sun 23-Mar-14 22:43:53

If it is a ball you will have to wear a ball gown. I don't think that skirt would acceptable.

What does your invite say regarding dress code?

Nocomet Sun 23-Mar-14 22:52:05

House of Frasier. Cavendish House in Cheltneham arent bad.

I'm certain there will be several places in Oxford given university balks, ask any academic DF.

Slipshodsibyl Sun 23-Mar-14 22:54:58

Is it a College ball?

LittleBearPad Sun 23-Mar-14 23:06:00

I assume it is a college ball.

Flat shoes will be fine and much better for the dodgems etc.

What is the dress code - black tie, I think your skirt will be ok if you dress up the top bit a fair bit.

If it's white tie then you may need to go the full hog.

Eastpoint Sun 23-Mar-14 23:11:16

If you put a black silk bustier with that skirt it will look enough like a dress & then you could wear black ballet pumps. People wear a broad range of outfits even at black & white tie events. I remember wearing a snakeskin puffball dress (probably polyester) to a college ball (1986) & being really pleased I hadn't worn a silk dress as someone spilled a pint of beer down my back & it didn't matter a jot. PS I have been to black tie events at colleges since.

Slipshodsibyl Sun 23-Mar-14 23:16:19

I agree that it will be fine at a College Ball with a nice top and flat shoes are better on the uneven surfaces.

BecauseIsaidS0 Sun 23-Mar-14 23:23:39

If it is a college ball, you don't need a ball gown. Dress it up a bit and you will be fine.

frillyflower Mon 24-Mar-14 04:30:29

Thanks very much for your replies.

It is a college ball. It's white tie but if i don't wear the long skirt I am going to buy a cocktail length dress as I really don't like long dresses.
I know at least one other person going who is wearing a cocktail sort of dress.

Perhaps I will get a style advisor session at john lewis or somewhere for the top half of my outfit.

BecauseIsaidS0 Mon 24-Mar-14 05:14:42

Ok so I will admit that the last time I went to a May Ball I was a student, but the first year I went I wore a cocktail dress. The second time I went I wore a long dress, but it wasn't a ball gown. I didn't stick out - tons of students dressed similarly. In fact, students wearing ball gowns were in the minority (and my second year I went to one at one of the big colleges at Cambridge).

Slipshodsibyl Mon 24-Mar-14 07:20:40

A short cocktail dress is also fine if that's what you prefer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now