Talk

Advanced search

Urgent help finding a dress for apple shape

(14 Posts)
SaltySeaBird Sun 23-Mar-14 20:48:24

Hi, I'm hoping to get some advice and help finding an outfit for a wedding in three weeks time.

I've got a whole wardrobe full of gorgeous outfits, lovely dresses, really nice skirts and suits ... all in a size 10/12. And I'm currently a lumpy apple shaped size 16. I gained too much weight during and after pregnancy and struggling to shift it.

Nothing seems to flatter me, I'm very self concious and know I need to sort my shit out. I can't in time for this wedding though.

Can anyone suggest some nice dresses that might hide the mess that is my body. I don't want to spend a lot as I'm determined to get back into my old clothes (I've spent too much on them not to). Max £50. My legs are slimed than my waistless middle and at 5"4 maxi dresses swamp me so above the knee will probably be best. I'm fair and prefer dark plum, black, pale blue or emerald green but have a hankering to try coral too.

Hoping somebody has come across something nice!

SaltySeaBird Sun 23-Mar-14 20:56:31

Love this but can't find it in my size, plus worried not really right for a wedding http://m.houseoffraser.co.uk/French+Connection+Alexa+jersey+cross+over+dress/193855013,default,pd.html

SaltySeaBird Sun 23-Mar-14 20:57:30

French Connection dress

WildThong Sun 23-Mar-14 21:02:54

The FC ebay outlet has loads of nice dresses, maybe on there?

SaltySeaBird Mon 24-Mar-14 07:04:09

Still looking, nothing suitable on the FC eBay outlet sadly!

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 24-Mar-14 07:06:19

Great Plains dresses are terrific and more reasonable than FC. I'm the same size at the moment and they are great. Have also had lovely stuff from Somerset Temperley at John Lewis . Monsoon Fusion is more up to date than the usual stuff and have a few nice things from there.

WildThong Mon 24-Mar-14 14:11:32

Great Plains is a good idea Ken, they are the same company as FC I think

kentishgirl Mon 24-Mar-14 14:16:04

V necks with a bit of across tummy a very flattering. Like this one

www.isme.com/savoir-three-quarter-sleeve-confident-curves-dress/1298697002.prd

kentishgirl Mon 24-Mar-14 14:16:21

ruching across tummy, I meant

DizzyTinkerbell Mon 24-Mar-14 19:27:13

I had the same problem earlier this year and ended up grabbing an emergency personal shopper session at Debenhams 1 week before the wedding as I couldn't find anything that flattered my apple shape.

The first dress she brought was this - and I loved it and felt confident all day! The waist line is high so it missed my tummy, but being above the knee meant my slimmest part was on show. I'm a short apple (5f1) - size 10 with a 14-ish waist and got the 12.

SaltySeaBird Mon 24-Mar-14 21:10:08

Thanks!

I wasn't keen on the isme dress although think the style would work. The pattern was just too bold and big for my style.

Dizzy, I love the Warehouse dress but I'm far too large to wear it at the moment.

Just about to check out Great Plains.

MaryShelley Mon 24-Mar-14 21:13:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaryShelley Mon 24-Mar-14 21:22:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fuctifano Mon 24-Mar-14 21:23:55

Similar size and shape to you and took delivery today of the these Great Plains numbers and at those prices I'm keeping them both.

www.greatplains.co.uk/product/Woman+Sale+Dresses/J1APA/Viper+Side+Panel+Shift+Dress.htm probably not what you're after but a steal.

www.greatplains.co.uk/product/Woman+Sale+Dresses/J1CE9/Madison+Gather+Detail+Dress.htm in balloon which is a corally red and ruching is in a great place for tummy hiding

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now