Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a good lotion/potion for skin discolouration after scarring?

(11 Posts)
TheAwfulDaughter Sun 23-Mar-14 13:06:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TheAwfulDaughter Sun 23-Mar-14 15:01:54

TheAwfulDaughter Sun 23-Mar-14 21:38:02

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 23-Mar-14 21:57:08

The only thing that improves scarring is silicon. You can get patches but iirc there is a gel called healgel which had it in it so can be smoothed onto the skin.

ladypete Sun 23-Mar-14 22:48:21

Healgel Intensive will help with discolouration. It's got high grade silicones in to protect the skin and other ingredients like arnica to help lighten scars.

Glycolic acid pads will also lighten scars as they will slowly buff off the top (scarred) layer of skin, as will serums like Lighten & Brighten (Elemental Herbology) or Melaperfect (Darphin) which will break down excess melanin and discolouration.

If you can get to a dermatologist you can get a prescription for a retinoid based product. These are deriviants of Vitamin A and will speed up your cell turnover, treating acne/scaring/aging.

It is not true that only silicons can help scars confused

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 23-Mar-14 23:30:42

Everything else will help skin texture and the massage action will help circulation and blood flow but silicon is what fades/improves scars.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 23-Mar-14 23:32:37

I'm repeating what a physio told me who worked on a burns unit.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 23-Mar-14 23:34:08

Arnica is for bruising, how will that help lighten the scars? I'm interested, not being antagonistic btw.smile

ladypete Sun 23-Mar-14 23:39:47

Arnica is for bruising but apparently does work on scars too. No idea how though so I could be misinformed. I can't remember the other ingredients they use that also help! grin

Vitamin A definitely definitely definitely works for scarring. Retinoids are well used in dermatology to treat scaring.

PretzelPrincess Mon 24-Mar-14 00:02:06

Retin A and glycolic acid peels. Retin A totally works, it's amazing stuff.

FoxyHarlow123 Mon 24-Mar-14 12:56:45

I'm a bit of a stuck record but ..... Obagi.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now