Talk

Advanced search

Bare Minerals Make up- the good and the bad please.

(17 Posts)
peachysweet Sat 22-Mar-14 12:58:22

I am thinking about trying bare mineral after seeing someone look amazing in it and as I am running out of my usual foundation.

Please could I ask for any experiences of bare minerals, both good and bad. Any particular products you would recommend or not recommend.

Any other recommendations for other foundations which give a natural, glowing look which is what I like.

BigPawsBrown Sat 22-Mar-14 13:02:06

I am 29 and have been using it since I was 26. I tried bourgeois healthy mix recently and it just showed me how much i love the BM. I doubt I will ever use another foundation, ever.

FrugalFashionista Sat 22-Mar-14 13:09:38

I haven't tried BM but love Lily Lolo. It's my favorite foundation. Perfect match for my hard-to-match skin and has improved my skin a lot. If/when you buy minerals, watch a couple of videos first so that you will get the application technique right. The most common mistake is to use too much product and then complain that it is too dry/ chalky/ messy. I also love to set the mine with a light misting of water - it's the perfect finishing touch. I have quite a few decent liquid foundations but I just haven't used them after switching to mineral - they simply feel inferior.

Oh, and mineral makeup is waterproof, but micellar water is really good for gently removing it.

Skivvywoman Sat 22-Mar-14 13:20:21

Watching with interest as been using the jml mineral one and I like it but it's went back up in price and I would rather spend a bit more on better stuff

peachysweet Sat 22-Mar-14 13:21:07

Bigpaws- can I ask what it is that you find so much better than the bourgeois healthy mix? I have been using the bhm recently and have found it good.

Thanks for the tips frugal

I didn't realise that the particular girl I saw was wearing foundation. Her skin just looked in great conditions and glowy, the total opposite of the look a lot of teens/ early 20s are going for (really heavy and a bit mask like).

pinkflaming0 Sat 22-Mar-14 13:21:17

I was really excited to try BM after all the good things I'd heard. I had it applied at the BM counter in Debenhams and it looked awful on me - dry, dusty, flaky, highlighted imperfections rather than covering them up.

Really glad I asked to try it before spending any money.

I would imagine the assistant applied it correctly so maybe just doesn't suit all skin types? Mine is slightly oily 'T' zone with normal everywhere else - no dryness.

peachysweet Sat 22-Mar-14 13:22:44

Thanks pinkflamingo- I will definitely try it first, I always do.

Shimmyshimmy Sat 22-Mar-14 13:30:57

It made the pores around my nose really obvious.

BuggedByJake Sat 22-Mar-14 13:32:19

I've not tried the foundation but do use the mineral girl loose powder. I've got the original wth spf & illuminating.
I discovered it after trying to find a replacement for Clinique gentle light powder in 'glow' when they discontinued it.
The illuminating powder gives that fresh dewy face look. I tend to put the original on first then the illuminating on the temples & cheek bones.

CorrieDale Sat 22-Mar-14 13:32:56

I like both BM and BHM. I use minerals if I want a more finished look - it's great if I'm going out and want something that will stay put. I had trouble finding the perfect march but they have recently added many more colours and I now have the perfect shade for me.

The bourjois healthy mix I blend with moisturiser and lanacane and brush it on. Great for everyday - I get a more dewy look. Well, as dewy as 46 year old skin gets! And really quick to apply.

BuggedByJake Sat 22-Mar-14 13:34:18

girl viel

BigPawsBrown Sat 22-Mar-14 14:37:51

First photo me with BHM (foundation not serum). Feels like more of a mask on me than mineral foundation, I go shiny, red nose after a few hours, feels like I am painting it on and have to paint around lips etc...

Second photo me in BM

BigPawsBrown Sat 22-Mar-14 14:41:15

With my beautiful niece ��

LRDtheFeministDragon Sat 22-Mar-14 14:44:26

You look lovely, bigpaws.

I can't make it work. sad People say you have to work it in but it makes my skin react badly. Their skincare is really harsh, too. Sorry to give a negative response ... I know they work for loads of people, it's just worth being aware if your skin is sensitive you might want not to gloop in on merrily without testing like this idiot did.

VarsityQueen Sat 22-Mar-14 15:29:12

I agree with LRD. As with most things, whether you get on with it depends on your skin type. I personally think it's better for oily/greasy skins because your skin will produce more natural oil which the minerals need to become more creamy as you apply. It also doesn't block pores like some cream formulations can. I wish I had discovered BM in my teenage years. If you have really dry skin, it's going to be more likely to go chalky or dusty and not 'melt into' the skin easily. Haven't tried the Ready due to such bad reviews but I like the loose powder as it stays all day on my oily skin.

peachysweet Sat 22-Mar-14 19:00:08

Many thanks for all the responses. I will give it a try.

bigpaws- I think I can see the difference, although you look great in both photos!

NoArmaniNoPunani Sat 22-Mar-14 19:01:15

I don't like it, I looked like a powdery scone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now