Talk

Advanced search

Can I wear neon to a wedding ?

(31 Posts)
Magix Sat 22-Mar-14 12:04:16

Fell in love with this pink river island dress . I waited ages for it to come in in my size . Finally got it today and it's a lot brighter than in the picture . It's not neon to the extent id glow under a black light , but it is bright . Would I be to in your face for a wedding ? I don't know what is get now confused

http://www.riverisland.com/women/dresses/day--t-shirt-dresses/Bright-pink-t-shirt-dress-651753

Magix Sat 22-Mar-14 12:04:47

link

TheBookofRuth Sat 22-Mar-14 12:07:36

I don't think the colour is a problem, but I do think it's not formal enough for a wedding, unless you know it's a very casual one.

sooperdooper Sat 22-Mar-14 12:08:13

I like it, I think it's fine for a wedding - what colour shoes and what jewellery are you planning to wear?

sooperdooper Sat 22-Mar-14 12:09:16

Cross posts but I think the right heels, smart handbag and jewellery will make it smart enough for a wedding

Magix Sat 22-Mar-14 12:18:44

I was going to wear it with a big statement necklace but no idea what shoes yet ! I'm not a fan of massive platforms or heels . I quite like "flatforms though , as long as they are not too high I tower over dh when I wear heels grin

Onesleeptillwembley Sat 22-Mar-14 12:27:04

That with flats would be a no no for a wedding. It's the sort of dress that needs them to not look casual.

YouAreMyRain Sat 22-Mar-14 12:27:54

FFS BookofRuth - why on earth is that not formal enough for a wedding?! What would be formal enough in your opinion? I'm sure OP will wear accessories with it.

Thumbwitch Sat 22-Mar-14 12:31:39

Actually I agree that it's not quite "dressy" enough for a wedding, although I don't have a problem with the colour - but it does rather depend on the wedding and what else Magix is going to put with it in terms of accessories. If you dress it up with big bold accessories, then a simple plain dress is probably better.

A friend of mine wore a very bright cerise outfit to my wedding - looked great! I would say it was as bright as your pink dress.

TheBookofRuth Sat 22-Mar-14 12:36:38

Alright, no need to get worked up, it's just my opinion. That to me is a casual day dress - the style and fabric make it so, therefore I wouldn't wear it to a wedding. But I often think people are under-dressed for the occasion, so I accept that I may be in the minority here.

smokeandglitter Sat 22-Mar-14 12:40:29

Ask the bride. Most if my friends asked for my opinion for my wedding if I got stuck. Then again I walked down the aisle to let me be your fantasy so it wasn't a traditional do.

ChinUpChestOut Sat 22-Mar-14 12:59:24

BookofRuth maybe because it says it's a t-shirt dress? Looking at the info, it says it's 100% polyester, so it probably won't bobble or fade like an ordinary cotton t-shirt. I think it will probably hang rather well. I love the colour.

I think OP you could wear the ubiquitous 'nude' (aka beige) shoes with it - and I hate having to admit this, but I think those patent leather ones so favoured by the Duchess of Cambridge would look rather nice.

And given the simplicity of the dress, a big statement necklace or a big bangle, plus a brightly patterned wrap would look great.

Snog Sat 22-Mar-14 13:00:50

you are definitely fine to wear bright colours to a wedding! its only white that can be a dodgy choice imo

Magix Sat 22-Mar-14 13:01:09

When you see it in person it is quite dressy . Definitely not something id see people wearing day to day .

Id originally ordered it to wear to DDs communion , but definitely too bright for that ! grin so now I've thought I may wear it to the wedding we have the following week .

Magix Sat 22-Mar-14 13:05:30

Funny you should mention white snog , when I thought I was wearing it to DDs communion I looking at these to wear with white frilly socks . I love the idea of quirky styles but sometimes I'm just not brave enough ! grin

Snog Sat 22-Mar-14 14:20:49

Gotta have confidence for that quirky stuff I reckon
I love the colour of your neon dress. I have a scarf and tshirt that colour myself.

RoganJosh Sat 22-Mar-14 14:24:31

I don't see it as neon, is it in the flesh?

Magix Sat 22-Mar-14 15:03:39

Yes rogan I didn't think it was neon myself when I ordered it I just thought it was pink but in person it is pretty neon-y confused

Orangeanddemons Sat 22-Mar-14 15:08:44

I think the title of that dress is misleading. I've seen that very dress today, and it's not a t shirt dress, it's like a polyester woven dress, so not at all like a knitted t shirt dress

Magix Mon 24-Mar-14 15:47:26

Ok so I know your not really supposed to wear white to a wedding but this would be fine wouldn't it ?

Crutchlow35 Mon 24-Mar-14 15:59:50

God! these threads make my teeth itch. Wear what you like as long as you are comfortable. Who gives a shit what some neurotic bride may or may not think on the day.

The dress is lovely. The length is fine, as is the colour. Wear it and enjoy it. Flats are fine, heels are fine. I'd probably draw the line and wellies though!

BriocheBriocheBrioche Mon 24-Mar-14 16:30:32

The plain one is much better than the chevron one.

I wore a similar topshop crepe dress in highlighter orange to a wedding last summer and dressed it up with black and white heels and a vintage black hat.

The pink dress would look great with black/white accessories.

Thumbwitch Mon 24-Mar-14 23:02:37

I agree with Brioche.

Eastpoint Tue 25-Mar-14 06:56:37

I prefer the pink one too, I think it will look good in the photos too as it isn't fussy.

TheJumped Tue 25-Mar-14 07:19:49

Love that pink dress OP! It does look casual in that pic but if it's a woven polyester then I'm sure it's smart enough. I'd definitely wear it if I had a wedding coming up. With ubiquitous nude heels and a statement necklace, love it. Might have to go and check it out myself - I bought a bright pink t-shirt in a lovely soft slouchy polyester from Primark last week, I am doing pink for Spring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now