Talk

Advanced search

Ok good news, getting hitched in ten weeks! what can I do to make myself look fab!

(11 Posts)
HandsOffMyGazBaz Sat 22-Mar-14 10:59:24

Im v excited but very nervous. This is completely out of the blue.
I want to look radiant. I dont right now, I look grey and sluggish with frizzy hair, bad teeth and five stone to lose.
im working on the diet, dentist is booked but what can I do to improve skin, nails hair,? Im pretty broke so cheap but good would be great!

AwkwardSquad Sat 22-Mar-14 15:06:00

Congratulations! flowers

Well, I'm no expert but if you're sorting out your diet that is the best thing you can do for your skin. Lots of veg and decent protein, drink water, cut down on alcohol, sugar, refined carbs and caffeine. You will glow smile!

curiousuze Sat 22-Mar-14 15:09:09

No advice because I'm in the same boat (although already married) but I'll be reading this thread with interest!

sugar4eva Sat 22-Mar-14 15:14:38

See princess ong Easter thread
Hair mask weekly
Exfoliate Super drug vit e cheap
Hot cloth cleanse vit e super drug
Lots sleep
Exercise
Think nice thoughts - relaxes face - sounds odd works I m o

curiousuze Sat 22-Mar-14 15:46:56

Sugar, is this the thread? www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/1950937-Easter-renovators-Come-one-come-all?msgid=43937685#43937685

StopItBob Sat 22-Mar-14 16:59:03

30 day shred! It is so hard but I'm getting great results, the first stage is free on you tube and you can use tin cans or water bottles instead of buying weights. It is hard but just keep at it and modify exercises even more if you struggle. I really can't do even the modified press up yet so am doing it against a wall for now.

Get a pedometer, you can get them cheap inching tescos, argos etc. see how many steps you do a week and then the next week aim to do a thousand more each day and so on until you are doing 10,000 a day. I find it a good motivator to move more when I see how few I've done.

Use plain bicarb as a tooth polish, it is not too abrasive and I really helping my smokers teeth. I use it before brushing my teeth with regular toothpaste.

Aussie three minute miracle is pretty cheap and I've had good results. A couple of times a week I leave it on ages whilst I'm in the bath. Follow some instructional videos and learn how to blow dry your hair properly, it will look much smoother.

Massage nails with Vaseline each evening and then rub Vaseline onto hands and feet and cover with socks. I use Astra handcream and carmex lip balm though the day.

Moisturise your body twice a day, I like oils and Aldi and Lidl both do cheap body oils but they are not in stock all year round. Their body lotions are probably worth a shot though.

Follow Caroline Hirons skin routine on her blog, I've found it really good. She advocates a lot of expensive products but I just use the vitamin e cleaner and a soap free face wash, botanics alcohol free toner and Aldi moisturiser. The only expensive things I use are pixi glow tonic toner and alpha h and argan oil which I alternate as night treatments. I find them both incredibly effective and whilst the initial purchase is pricy they both last a long time so are actually cheaper on a month by month basis than many budget options.

Set aside time each week to do a face mask, body scrub and manicure/pedicure. Keep your legs/underarms fuzz free even if no one can see them, it just helps you feel better. Get your eyebrows shaped and pluck any stragglers in the morning.

Loads of water, loads of fruit and veg, lean meat, fish, pulses and porridge are also good. Maybe look at the 5-2 board for diet advice too?

I gave myself a real push for the first week cutting out all crap and doing load of exercise, I promised myself it was only a week and then I would eat well with the odd treat. It was hard but I kept reminding myself it was only a short time. I lost 1/2 a stone and broke the back of the sugar cravings. The loss and looking much better has boosted me to keep going.

Definitely measure yourself and take a picture in your undies that you can compare to. Some weeks you won't lose any weight or only drop a lb which is disheartening, but comparing pics you can see that you have actually toned up a bit more.

Congratulations on your wedding and good luck!

StopItBob Sat 22-Mar-14 17:04:58

Sorry about all the typos mammoth post on my phone.

Astra cream should be Atrixo.

Also, try having a mug of nettle tea twice a day, it helps with bloating and water retention.

HandsOffMyGazBaz Sat 22-Mar-14 17:20:07

Oh thanks so much, This is all very helpful!Its nice to have it all in one thread!

Im a fan of ms Hirons too but ive fallen out of her routine cos I just havent been able to afford stuff and its just been soap and water. My face needs more than that! Ill have a look on superdrug site and see what I can get cheap.

Im afraid of the 30 day shred. Ive mobility issues but I know my body can work harder than it actually does, its just the push that it needs.
One week at a time is a great idea.

Will cheap vaseline work or does it have to be vaseline vaseline?

schmalex Sat 22-Mar-14 17:25:16

I'm pretty sure branded Vaseline is just pure petroleum jelly so cheap stuff will be identical.

Congrats on your wedding!

sugar4eva Sat 22-Mar-14 17:44:44

Curious - yes that's the thread I meant - motivational ! smile don't know how to link.

Urbanvoltaire Sat 22-Mar-14 19:45:54

Massage your nails and toenails with almond oil, cheap from any pharmacy.

To improve diet, eat loads of fish and veg & drink water & herbal tea.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now