Talk

Advanced search

Please help - I need a 'going out' top and I'm apple shaped :-(

(35 Posts)
underactivethyroidmum Sat 22-Mar-14 10:56:42

I have a rare night out planned next week and I'm looking for a top to go with either black skinny jeans or a black pencil skirt. My tummy is enormous at the minute thanks to the medication I'm taking and I can't find anything that helps hide it sad I'm a 14-16 at the moment and have a budget of around £60 but don't want to spend too much as I'm trying desperately to loose some weight.

householdchorewhore Sat 22-Mar-14 11:03:06

What about a large boyfriend style grey tshirt with your black pencil skirt? I would tuck it in and then bag it out a bit and spend the left over money on a great necklace.

I promise people won't notice your tummy anyway!

www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3209836

You could wear any colour tshirt type top really.

Necklace www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3543316

hollyangel Sat 22-Mar-14 12:00:38

I think if you're conscious of your tummy at the moment, get a plain black t-shirt top/vest from and then like above poster suggested, wear a blingy necklace.

hollyangel Sat 22-Mar-14 12:10:17

Or else, on second thoughts, how about you scrap this 'going out top' idea and buy a dress! Much easier, always my preferred option when I'm having bloated days!

I love wrap dresses, have a few of these Therapy ones from House of Fraser.
m.houseoffraser.co.uk/Therapy+Mosaic+tile+print+jersey+wrap+dress/190325093,default,pd.html
They can be dressed up or down, either with boots and tights or bare legs, tan and some sandals or wedges if sunny!

Let me know if dresses an option and will find some more.

underactivethyroidmum Sat 22-Mar-14 12:59:32

I hadn't thought about a dress ! Yes I like the wrap dress idea grin

TheAwfulDaughter Sat 22-Mar-14 13:05:22

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

hollyangel Sat 22-Mar-14 14:44:03

Theawfuldaughter yes, I love them. Have bought 4 or 5 of the therapy dresses, all under 20 pounds and they are so handy. Size down though, I bought small and I'm a pear shape, small size 12 on top, but good size 14 on bottom.

hollyangel Sat 22-Mar-14 14:45:19

underactive What colours do you like? Do you mind showing arms\legs? Black tights\no tights? Lots of Qs!

Chewbecca Sat 22-Mar-14 15:21:44

this mint velvet top is a good shape for apples

underactivethyroidmum Sat 22-Mar-14 16:01:48

Holly my legs are ok from the knees down and my arms are ok they're quite skinny compared to the rest of me ! I like more primary colours and wear lots of black, I have dark hair and eyes and olive skin so can wear most colours except pastels and yellow. Tights are ok if they're black opaques.

Chewy that top is lovely - I'm wondering if it would go with a lace pencil skirt I have

Just wish I could shift some of the weight/bloating I'm now up to 13 stone and I'm only 5ft 4 blush I feel like one of the m and m people :-(

underactivethyroidmum Sat 22-Mar-14 19:12:52

I have just found this which is quite nice but I'm not sure if its a bit mumsy ???

www.johnlewis.com/phase-eight-roxanne-wrap-dress-black/p1139942

CeeceeBloomingdale Sat 22-Mar-14 19:33:24

Do pencil skirts work ok for you? I only ask as they make my apple shape look more pronounced. Wrap dresses are awful on me too. I prefer an oversized top and skinnies to slim me down with a blazer for shape.

CeeceeBloomingdale Sat 22-Mar-14 19:35:07

re the JL dress, it's nice but not for an apple imo, it draws attention to the problem area.

Chewbecca Sat 22-Mar-14 19:36:33

Wrap dresses are bad on me too, just show off my large middle. Like ceecee I find a top (like the one I linked to!) with narrow trousers is much more flattering.

WildThong Sat 22-Mar-14 19:46:57

I am the same height and weight as you op, this top is my absolutely favourite. I wear it with skinnies and heels - can't recommend it enough. The picture doesn't do it justice. sorry if I'm being pushy. blush

CeeceeBloomingdale Sat 22-Mar-14 19:47:23

I know you asked about tops but if you do go down the dress route I find a slash neck in a tunic style flattering, a bit like this www.asos.com/River-Island/River-Island-Marble-Smock-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=3932411&cid=8799&Rf-200=4&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=204&sort=-1&clr=Blackprint

underactivethyroidmum Sat 22-Mar-14 21:16:28

I like that top wild ! I could get some bling to glam it up a bit, it's good to hear advice from someone the same size grin

Ceecee smock dresses make me look pregnant at the moment !

My default is skinnies, heels, a loose vest and a blazer but I find below knee pencil skirts with heels looks ok too. Think I may have to invest in some hold it all in knickers though until I stop taking the medication !

Euphemia Sat 22-Mar-14 22:02:53

Ceecee My arse would look even more huge in that. blush

CeeceeBloomingdale Sat 22-Mar-14 22:15:51

see I don' t mind showing legs or arse (shape, not actual arse), I'm a true apple, all my weight is on my stomach, no defined waist but hips and legs are slimmer.

CeeceeBloomingdale Sat 22-Mar-14 22:18:16

P.s. I'm 5 foot 2 and size 12-14, not a super model or anyfink

WildThong Sat 22-Mar-14 22:51:50

underactive glad you like it! It's actually got a light glitter all the way through it which really lifts it.

Bluebell79 Sun 23-Mar-14 07:36:28

I'm a similar size bit taller though and as an apple skinny jeans look best, I have quite a bit from mint velvet seem to suit apples, they black top link looks good. Pencil skirts and wrap dresses are not a good look for my shape.

purpleminion Sun 23-Mar-14 07:59:42

I have the mint velvet top linked above. I am definitely apple shaped and it is very flattering with dark,

CeeceeBloomingdale Sun 23-Mar-14 08:00:32

I create the illusion of looking slimmer around the middle I wear scarves in the day and in the evening a large necklace that is long so ends at my slimmest point (just below my bust) which draws the eye and visually slims

purpleminion Sun 23-Mar-14 08:00:59

Agree re: wrap dresses. They don't suit my apple shape at all. No definition at the waist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now